New bone stock base-line dyno #'s on my '09 Cad CTS-V:

Went and drove a one owner all stock 2005 CTS-V, LS6 400HP, 6speed and was very impressed overall. I could pick it up today for 21K, or trade in my Hummer H2 which is already paid for and just pay for taxes, tags and be all set. Thinking about going this route and just putting a blower or turbo on it.

What are the benifits of going this route beside saving 25K :wink: I know the LS6's can handle quite a bit, but the rear ends are the weak link in the 05 CTS-V's is really the only down fall of this car.

OK, newsflash, and not necessarily a happy one. I decided to add 1 more set of dyno runs on 91 octane prior to switching over to 100 octane UL. So I had another baseline dyno run performed at Superior Automotive Engineering In Anaheim, CA. the 1st run was pretty weak at 448 RWHP & maybe 440 RWTQ. The 2nd run netted 467.9 RWHP & 449.0, while the 3rd and final run netted 465.1 RWHP & 460.2 RWTQ. However, these figures were in "STD" correction factoring. I called the dyno facility and they advised that my RWHP figure of 467.9 would net about 456.3 on "SAE" correction factoring. Really not too bad but that's considerably less than the previous runs on the Dynapack. CAT told me that they believed that a Dynapack would net about 6%-7% more than a Dynojet due primarily to the direct readings off of the axles. However, I come up with about 14% more. The scary part of this is that I know somebody else that dynoed at both places and I calculated out the differences between their 2 sets of figures, and guess what, theirs had about a 14% variation, too.
So my SAE readings when I get them will be 456.3 RWHP, and about 450 RWTQ, or about a loss of 2% from the STD readings. Filled up my car right after the dyno runs with 100 octane VP UL at a cost of $8.00 a gal. Car doesn't seem to sound any better, & doesn't seem to run any better. Disappointed.

Went and drove a one owner all stock 2005 CTS-V, LS6 400HP, 6speed and was very impressed overall. I could pick it up today for 21K, or trade in my Hummer H2 which is already paid for and just pay for taxes, tags and be all set. Thinking about going this route and just putting a blower or turbo on it.

What are the benifits of going this route beside saving 25K :wink: I know the LS6's can handle quite a bit, but the rear ends are the weak link in the 05 CTS-V's is really the only down fall of this car.

Sorry, Ray, I am not well read up on the V1 versions, as they are referred to. I can tell you where you will find everything that you need to know though.
>www.cadillacforums.com<
the 2004-2007 section, & the 2009 & up section. I think that you are interested enough that it would be a good idea to do some reading.
The early rear ends are weak, too, like there is 2 or 3 design changes on the early rear end.
There are a lot of peeps that have the V1 version that are quite happy wiht them, and some do add maggies to them.

Filled up my car right after the dyno runs with 100 octane VP UL at a cost of $8.00 a gal. Car doesn't seem to sound any better, & doesn't seem to run any better. Disappointed.

Probably won't unless you increase timing and/or boost. Only thing the 100 octane will do is prevent timing being pulled due to knock. But IAT and ECT tables will more than likely pull timing way before knock becomes and issue on a stock car/tune.

Thanks! I'll do some reading up on them and come to an conclusion. The dealer at ToyotaSanDiego has been very persistent, almost annoying..... Trying to make a deal with me on the car. I see why, the 2005's can be had for 17-20K. I might just hold out a bit longer to see what is really out there. aain, Thx for the links. Ray

OK, newsflash, and not necessarily a happy one. I decided to add 1 more set of dyno runs on 91 octane prior to switching over to 100 octane UL. So I had another baseline dyno run performed at Superior Automotive Engineering In Anaheim, CA. the 1st run was pretty weak at 448 RWHP & maybe 440 RWTQ. The 2nd run netted 467.9 RWHP & 449.0, while the 3rd and final run netted 465.1 RWHP & 460.2 RWTQ. However, these figures were in "STD" correction factoring. I called the dyno facility and they advised that my RWHP figure of 467.9 would net about 456.3 on "SAE" correction factoring. Really not too bad but that's considerably less than the previous runs on the Dynapack. CAT told me that they believed that a Dynapack would net about 6%-7% more than a Dynojet due primarily to the direct readings off of the axles. However, I come up with about 14% more. The scary part of this is that I know somebody else that dynoed at both places and I calculated out the differences between their 2 sets of figures, and guess what, theirs had about a 14% variation, too.
So my SAE readings when I get them will be 456.3 RWHP, and about 450 RWTQ, or about a loss of 2% from the STD readings. Filled up my car right after the dyno runs with 100 octane VP UL at a cost of $8.00 a gal. Car doesn't seem to sound any better, & doesn't seem to run any better. Disappointed.

Gary,

Dynos are tools and just that. No two dynos will read exactly the same and it's difficult to draw any correlation between different types. There are many factors that can be manipulated by the operator also. The only thing they are good for are making back to back comparisons of modifications on the same dyno or just grandstanding.

I also agree that 100 octane gas may not do anything for your car unless you need it. Typically stock OEM tunes are conservative and therefore 91 octane fuel will probably be fine. I can throw my HP tuners on you car and tell you for sure what it needs. BTW, once your Caddy is broken in you can race my GTO if you like. ;)

Congrats on the new toy!

Neal

Gary,

Dynos are tools and just that. No two dynos will read exactly the same and it's difficult to draw any correlation between different types. There are many factors that can be manipulated by the operator also. The only thing they are good for are making back to back comparisons of modifications on the same dyno or just grandstanding.

I also agree that 100 octane gas may not do anything for your car unless you need it. Typically stock OEM tunes are conservative and therefore 91 octane fuel will probably be fine. I can throw my HP tuners on you car and tell you for sure what it needs. BTW, once your Caddy is broken in you can race my GTO if you like. ;)

Congrats on the new toy!

Neal

Thanks, Neal, good to hear from you. What mods are on your poncho v8 now? And BTW, when I posted that the Poncho v8 is no match for the Caddy, I meant stock to stock. I am sure that modded is a different story. Thanks for the offer on the HP tuners, I might take you up on that at a later date.

Thanks, Neal, good to hear from you. What mods are on your poncho v8 now? And BTW, when I posted that the Poncho v8 is no match for the Caddy, I meant stock to stock. I am sure that modded is a different story. Thanks for the offer on the HP tuners, I might take you up on that at a later date.

Gary,

I've been adding mods to the GTO since it was about 18 months old. It started off as heads and cam then long tube headers and exhaust then I supercharged it. Just recently I put a larger cam in it and it's a pretty good combo at this point. If you decide to come down we'll put the scan tool on your car and I'll take you for a ride. The CTSV is bad ass in my opinion and I'd love to own one but it's too rich for my blood.

Neal

Gary,

I've been adding mods to the GTO since it was about 18 months old. It started off as heads and cam then long tube headers and exhaust then I supercharged it. Just recently I put a larger cam in it and it's a pretty good combo at this point. If you decide to come down we'll put the scan tool on your car and I'll take you for a ride. The CTSV is bad ass in my opinion and I'd love to own one but it's too rich for my blood.

Neal
It was too rich for my blood too, so I had to sell blood and body parts to get it. If I make it down there anytime in the near, I will give you a call. I return to work this Wed but I am retiring about the end of Jan, if I make it that far. I would definitely like to see what it shows on HP tuners.

14% between two dynos? Wow. Have you taken it to the track. You'd probably get a more accurate power rating based on mph and weight. Still a great car. :)