New Best at Cecil this past weekend !!!

Scott89TTA

New Best ET & MPH !!!

Thanks to Bison for some tips on locking my converter !!! Thanks to Dr. Carl for some tuning tips on my last 2 passes helping me get where I wanted safely Thanks to my buddy D-Ham for convincing me to turn it up and give it one more try...more then once :cool:

I made 6 passes all together...1st pass wanted to see how the cold air would affect my boost...forgot to hit the record button on the PL so I just cruised on the top 11.71 @ 110.60 1.67 60' :rolleyes:

I installed a switch to lock my converter in 3rd...plan was around 90-105.
2nd pass turned out the switch was in the wrong position so the converter locked in 2nd and then I unlocked it in 3rd on the top end :redface: still ended up beating my previous best ET & MPH 11.44 @ 117.34 1.66 60' ...I did not get booted :biggrin:

next 4 passes locked the converter correctly in 3rd @ 90-105 mph but one when I forgot to flip the switch. Each pass improved...turned the boost up 1# each of the last 3 passes from 23/24 to 26+...also added 1/2 turn on the regulator on the last pass @ 26+ psi boost. The previous pass showed a 760O2 on the SM recall on the top end so added a little fuel just to be safe. Virtually no knock [/B](thanks to Razor & Alky Control)[/B] other then a little blip when I locked the converter 1.2-1.8 for maybe 1.5 sec. My O2's were good all day 780-790's...dipped into the 760's-780...last pass O2's were 770-790.

pass 3: (23-24 psi t-brake ~10 psi)
60' 1.578
330 4.613
1/8 7.204
mph 94.51
1000 9.454
1/4 11.361
mph 118.56

pass 4: (24-25 psi t-brake ~11+ psi) forgot to lock the converter
60' 1.544
330 4.548
1/8 7.109
mph 95.59
1000 9.336
1/4 11.236
mph 118.48

pass 5: (25+ psi t-brake ~12+ psi) new best ET & 60 ft
60' 1.533
330 4.526
1/8 7.079
mph 95.82
1000 9.300
1/4 11.186
mph 119.73

pass 6: (26+ psi t-brake ~11+ psi) new best MPH
60' 1.559
330 4.564
1/8 7.124
mph 95.80
1000 9.344
1/4 11.225
mph 120.18

Never would have believed this was possible :biggrin:

oh yeah 5 out of 6 runs under 11.49 and never got booted :cool:

Here are videos of pass 2 and pass 4...didn't get my two best passes but still pretty good :D

YouTube - 1989 Turbo Trans Am 11.44 @ 117

YouTube - 1989 Turbo Trans Am 11.23 @ 118

-Scott

Good job. :cool:

Good to see your headgaskets stayed on too. :biggrin:

yeah me too...took it out Sunday morning for about a 60 mile drive with a few friends to a local Sunday morning cruise and she was running great :cool:

Thanks,
Scott

All on stock heads, stock intercooler, stock intake and cam, stock rear end, and untouched bottom end. WoW! You must still be flyin' high.:biggrin: Congrats Scott. You are knockin' on the door to ten's you realize???:cool:

Alright, way to go Scott. Those 1.50's feel great don't they. Hope some of you TTA guys can make it to the 2010 Buick nationals here in NC to help me represent. Its going to be a great event.

Michael

All on stock heads, stock intercooler, stock intake and cam, stock rear end, and untouched bottom end. WoW! You must still be flyin' high.:biggrin: Congrats Scott. You are knockin' on the door to ten's you realize???:cool:

I tried to get him to push it into the tens, but he was VERY HAPPY with his 120 mph. :D :D :D But he listened to Carl instead of me!!! Which was probably a good thing. I've been know to get stupid in the heat of the moment. :D Congrats on your new times Mr Rear Suspension is Better Than Yours. You worked hard and deserve it!!! :D

Besides at least you have a new goal for next year, get it into the tens. Next year we need to get a earlier start!!!

Alright, way to go Scott. Those 1.50's feel great don't they. Hope some of you TTA guys can make it to the 2010 Buick nationals here in NC to help me represent. Its going to be a great event.
Michael

thanks...stock 21 year old suspension too :eek:
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I jumped a little soon on the trans brake on my last pass...not on purpose just got a little over anxious...was hoping to improve the 60ft a little more and brake 120 mph...oh well got half of it :cool:

The 2nd video 11.23 @ 118 if you look at it in "quick time" and go one frame at a time it looks like the pass tire is just skimming the surface and you see the driver side wiggle...darn wall blocks the view to verify if the tire came off the ground

I'm hoping to be able to attend...

Scott

I tried to get him to push it into the tens, but he was VERY HAPPY with his 120 mph. :D :D :D But he listened to Carl instead of me!!! Which was probably a good thing. I've been know to get stupid in the heat of the moment. :D Congrats on your new times Mr Rear Suspension is Better Than Yours. You worked hard and deserve it!!! :D

Besides at least you have a new goal for next year, get it into the tens. Next year we need to get a earlier start!!!

ha ha ha....thanks Doug!!!

and yes we do :cool:

That would have to be in the spring, unless you get some snow tracks for it.:biggrin:

Attaboy.. enjoy the car.. thats what its for :D

Leave it there.. it will live a lot longer than in the 10's..

Attaboy.. enjoy the car.. thats what its for :D

Leave it there.. it will live a lot longer than in the 10's..

A realistic quote from a man who has been there:biggrin: As Grumpy always said "Get it in the 11's, AND LEAVE IT ALONE!":p

But now that advice has been thrown out the window....

Nice runs. Picking up 24+mph out the back with stock heads and intercooler is impressive. Id get a wideband on there and crank up the alky a couple to get rid of the detonation at lockup. You may have 1-2mph more in there at the same boost pressure. What was the timing in 3rd. At 28psi its going to go 10's. What was the race weight? A lot of guys with heavily modded TTA's arent even within a half second of you . Lol.

There is a wall at 10.50 that is brutal. Ask those that have climbed over it.

Funny my car with a bone stock bottom end(block,crank,rods) and a small turbo went as fast as it did with a girdled, steel crank, JE Pistoned bottom end with a larger turbo. My wall was low 130's and mid 10's. Had at least 25-30 10.5-10.6 passes.. just for the reasons never went faster..

Eventually gave up working on it. Heads are the choke point IMHO.

Nice runs. Picking up 24+mph out the back with stock heads and intercooler is impressive. Id get a wideband on there and crank up the alky a couple to get rid of the detonation at lockup. You may have 1-2mph more in there at the same boost pressure. What was the timing in 3rd. At 28psi its going to go 10's. What was the race weight? A lot of guys with heavily modded TTA's arent even within a half second of you . Lol.

Thanks...wideband & new TT 6.0 WB chip are in the plans over the Winter. The timing in 3rd according to the PL is 20.8 (21)...22.9 (23) 1st & 2nd. Not sure of the race weight...estimating ~3600 (~3400 for the stock weight car & 200 for driver). Yeah...I'm still shocked on my times, I did do a little mild porting of the intake side of the heads when I replaced the head gaskets earlier this Summer...basicaly just gasket matched the intake side and cleaned up the exhaust a little along with the header welds...guessing it must have helped some.

Looking at the PL files for my best run the knock is a little more then I thought...still not a lot but some none the less. It shows up in two places in 3rd around when I locked the converter. It was much better in my last pass after we turned the fuel pressure up 1/2 turn and added 1# of boost...only one little blip of 1.6 for about 1 sec, if I recal I did give the alky a little bump as well (sitting on about 7 I think).

Here are the PL files for my last 2 passes #5 & #6.

-Scott

Attachments

• cecilrun5&6.zip
    70.4 KB · Views: 52