Need opininions on Gen II or Pro Translators...

Royal-T-Ltd

... i'm thinking of buying a newer translator and was wondering what everybody thought of the newest releases from turbo Bob?

Is the main difference between the two the ability to run speed density? Anybody out there run the Gen II? and the PRO ? what do you guys think of the wideband tracking? Im trying to decide in the next couple of days.... any help or opinions are welcome thanx.

I had an ME-R setup on my car. It was good...but a bit crude..

I'm putting a Gen II w/ a 3.5 inch maf on it now. I wanted to simplify things a bit and the wbo2 tracking offered by the gen II is really all i wanted. Add the extender chip and you have all the adjustability you could ever need...

Thats my story...hope that helped a bit... :D

wants a tr said:
I had an ME-R setup on my car. It was good...but a bit crude..

I'm putting a Gen II w/ a 3.5 inch maf on it now. I wanted to simplify things a bit and the wbo2 tracking offered by the gen II is really all i wanted. Add the extender chip and you have all the adjustability you could ever need...

Thats my story...hope that helped a bit... :D

So im guessing you like it? Hows the WB tracking.... thats one of the reasons im so interested.... Are the times in your sig w/ Gen ii or ME-R?

I like the GEN 2, intuitive design and easy to use. WB tracking works great, I will compare the actual correction with my Zietronix datalogger the next time I race. Time in my sig. is with the GEN 2 using wideband correction set at 10.1ish A/F and Razor's dual nozzle.

I put a Pro on a friends Limited and it was pretty much plug-n-play on that car, the exception being moving the IAT sensor to the intercooler-to-TB pipe. I wasn't impressed with the appearance of the install however. Basically they send a bunch of splices and it results in a huge lump of wires and splices. Didn't help that I got the call at like 5 on a Sunday afternoon saying "Hey, we need you to install this today!" I think I'll try to make a jumper harness for mine.

The Pro has a lot more adjustability than a T+. I found with my friends that I had to pull about 30% fuel off the top range due to the alchohol but this didn't affect the Low (vaccum) and Mid (no vacuum, little to no boost) range. On another car with the T+ the graduations are too coarse and pulling a bit of fuel off the top also affected part throttle sufficiently that we couldn't keep that setting.

edit:Forgot that you were mostly interested in the wideband inputs. Well we haven't used that yet on the Pro car as the owner doesn't have his own WB, he uses somebody elses. I suppose there's no reason we couldn't hook it up though. Unfortunately that car is down for a while for a fresh engine that's a LOT hotter than what came out and it's not expected to run for at least another month. The engine is ready, just waiting on some ancillary items.

I've ran the TPro for over a year and it's the best thing I've ever done. As close to an all out DFI set up you can get without the price.

What the TPro has over the Gen2 is ability to run speed density, boost control check out www.maftpro.com and www.fullthrottletech.com I will say that there is somewhat of a learning curve with this. But as long as you read the manual and get aquainted with how it works you'll be in good shape. You can't just install it and read the manual later, do that and you'll be lost.

Royal-T-Ltd, did you end up buying a Gen 2? I haven't had my GN out of the garage in nearly a year :( and was just browsing the forums, this was the first time I had read anything about the Gen 2 translator, thinking I may sell my old trans +! Do you have to change the existing extender chip to use the WB feature? Not sure I should ask in your thread, or post a new one :cool:

My gen 2 works great, being able to set the timing curve in addition to the fuel curve is a great plus. Unfortunately I haven't run it at the track due to my stock trans slipping in 2nd(a 1.59 60ft and 117mph should end up with something a bit better than 11.84 I think :rolleyes: ).

The thing I like about the wideband correction is being able to perfectly correct for alcohol injection on the fly if you set the correction limits wide enough. I haven't used that on my car, but I've seen it in action.

I just got finished installing a Pro on my car and gonna try to fire it up today. It's pretty straight forward. I don't like the splice connectors either but if you do it right you won't have problems. I'd like to see some sort of plug and play harness later on.

d0n_3d said:
I just got finished installing a Pro on my car and gonna try to fire it up today. It's pretty straight forward. I don't like the splice connectors either but if you do it right you won't have problems. I'd like to see some sort of plug and play harness later on.

i dont like the splices either..but i dont want to cut it..a plug n play would sweet...havent started mine up yet either...motor should be in this weekend...

nice updates to the combo there don... :cool:

Caspers makes a plug-n-play adapter harness. Give them a call 847-247-0484. Here is a pic he sent me.

Attachments

• ShowLetter.jpg
    ShowLetter.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 295
turbobuick said:
Caspers makes a plug-n-play adapter harness. Give them a call 847-247-0484. Here is a pic he sent me.

I just talked to John. They DO have a plug n play adapter for the PRO but DO NOT have a plug n play adapter for the Gen II as of yet. He said he will mass produce them IF enough people call him/e-mail him.... I will step up to the plate and am sending him my harnesses for the Gen II w/ instructions for wiring so that he can put together a harness.... BUT expect to pay around ~$100 or so . IMO thats pretty cheap for the peace of mind of SOLID Connections AND not having to "Hack My Harness".

turbobuick said:

Too cool. I am SOO there! :D

Seriously, that's very good to know.

turbobuick said:

is it there on ther site.. i need to order this ASAP !

i emailed them to see if its ava and the price, anybody else got one of these?