need some guidance on maf translators

turbotrix2004

ok been doing some reading and I'm thinking of replacing my oem maf with an ls1 type and translator. There is currently nothing wrong with mine, but i read that the car will run smoother with the new setup and its more reliable. my question is should i go ahead and do it or should i save up and go speed density? I really don't want to spend a lot of time tuning but at the same time i rather just buy once

I don't have SD so I can't comment to that setup. But if you won't make use of all the adjustability features it has to offer then I would think a translator and ls1 maf would be tough to beat for the money. I went with the new TurboTweak AXis setup. Love the simplicity of it and the fact that I don't lose chip memory whenever I disconnect the battery. Adjusting it is easier as well. Just open the box and turn dials.

I didn't look into the axis, so it's a translator as well? I like having options even if I'm not going to utilize them right away

I think I'm going to go that route. I'm going to call Eric cause I just bought a chip from him and I guess I'll need an extender chip

One thing on the AXiS set up - if you like the ability to add or remove 1st gear WOT fuel or timing then you should stick to your current TT chip just get the AXiS interface (translator). If you get the AXiS interface with the AXiS chip you can still adjust overall fuel and timing but you won't be able to independently adjust 1st gear WOT fuel or timing. Hope that makes sense. If not, ask Eric about it when you call him.

I'm happy with my TT chip, LS1 MAF and translator. I think having the ability to adjust 1st gear fuel and timing is good except, It's hard to get a good read on what's happing in 1st gear at WOT because it happens so fast. Bam, tires light up and then your either off the gas or into 2nd gear and never had a chance to see the A/F gauge. 3rd and 4th gear tuning is much easier and probably more important.

Note: the card does idle much better with the LS1 MAF and translator. Idle A/F ratio is dead nuts on the money now.

You can also use a Baily Extender chip I believe with the AXIS, so in addition to using the full AXIS capability you get independent 1st and 2nd fuel and timing adjustment in the chip. Along with some other features worth checking out.