Need more RPM's... How?

Robes87GN

Bench Racing Hater
After my mods last winter (head port, RJC power plate, valve springs, completely built up 200 4r) I started to spin, and couldnt even brake boost on my 275/50 nitto DR's. The year previous, I was sitting at 4000 rpms when I would launch, and finish the 1/4 perfectly aligned with topping out 3rd gear. This past summer I had a lot of problems with knock and tire spin, but what concerned me was even though I would spin a good 100ft down the track, I would still top out 3rd around 100ft short of the finish line. I am going to get 28" (had 26" last year) drag radials to give me more top end, but I will need more from what others have told me. Any help or ideas on parts that can give me more rpm through the gears would be great and much appreciated.

What is your combo? your question is a little unclear. You say that you're topping out 3rd gear 100' before the 1/4 mile mark. You don't need more rpms you need less. As you were told a 28" tall tire will help with the problem. Your sig says you have a 12 second ride. I'm running 12.0 @115 on nittos that are only 25.75" tall and I'm running across the line at around 5500 rpm. How are you running out of gear and only running 12s?

I'm also trying to figure out how he's running out of rpm? :confused:

I go through the traps in 3rd gear in my mid 11 second runs, on 26" tires, and don't get much over 5200 rpm. Maybe 5400 on one of my 117mph runs.

Converter locked in 3rd?

That would definitely make a difference. If it's locked, it may be going away......:eek:

...The year previous, I was sitting at 4000 rpms when I would launch, and finish the 1/4 perfectly aligned with topping out 3rd gear...
There's your answer. The car has a loose converter.

same prob.

with ac 9 inch nl.what do you do about it? i had a hueghes before and same thing.

I have a brand new converter. It is stock replacement, but basically the same thing. What I meant by more RPM's is that I need to have a higher range with my gears. My trans got all decked out last winter, see if any of these may affect it. Blue clutches, stage 2 shift kit, kevlar bands, stock replacement converter, all new fittings and lines. I have a scanmaster, but left it on knock after checking my settings. Oh, and not to get off topic on my own thread, but my scanmaster reads 105 no matter what for fuel/air (BLM?) on my scanmaster, any clues on that?

If you have a fairly stock car, they don't like to go much above 52-5500. Get a shift light and a 5500 pil, put the car in 2nd, launch, let the car shift into 2nd on its own, and then when the light comes on, shift into third.

Do a search on low BLMs. That will give you all the info you need on why its reading 105. You have a problem that needs fixing.