Need help selecting a turbo

GN FAN

Need some input on what turbo to go to next............car currently runs 11.80's on a TA-52 with a precison SLIC and a 3200 stall in the summer months....see sig for more detail. not looking to boost over 22-24 pounds and not looking to go too much faster than low 11's high 10's. car is only run with race fuel. I was originally looking at a TE-60 with a front mount IC but don't know much about the newer turbos........any suggestions? car is not a daily or frequent driver

Just a thought, but I've gone mid-11s at 119 mph with a TA49 and stock engine on 100 octane unleaded. I would think a TA52, which has bigger compressor and exhaust wheels, should be able to get you to low 11s or high 10s with race gas. Might be a bit easier with a 6262, but that's over a $1,000 investment.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Turbo Buick

Just a thought, but I've gone mid-11s at 119 mph with a TA49 and stock engine on 100 octane unleaded. I would think a TA52, which has bigger compressor and exhaust wheels, should be able to get you to low 11s or high 10s with race gas. Might be a bit easier with a 6262, but that's over a $1,000 investment.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Turbo Buick

you are prolly correct, was gonna see if just a front mount would get me there if not I was looking at a little more turbo

if you want to go faster you need to raise the boost and drop the 60ft,this takes time,tuning.throwing parts at the car wont make it faster.

If you're already running race gas just up the boost/timing. Should be capable of more than high 11's on good gas

if you want to go faster you need to raise the boost and drop the 60ft,this takes time,tuning.throwing parts at the car wont make it faster.

i realize that.........however, i'm not willing to walk the fine line of detonation in order to get there..........currently at 23lbs with leaded 110 with the chip i have the car runs strong and knock is virtually non existant...........dropping the 60ft is an area of attention but i don't realistically think my setup will go much lower than high 1.6's to low 1.7's if that. is it unreasonable to assume that a front mount and a better quality turbo with a tuning session won't drop a few tenth's off?

Erics chips allow for 1st-2nd gear fuel/timing adjustments. If you're still on those default settings...then you're leaving alot on the table.

Can you tell us the timing you run, air/fuel ratio and post current timeslip information. Launch boost and shift points also please.

timing is marked 27/28 degrees on the chip, afr on my wideband was around 12. at wot, current timeslip info in sig, unless u want more, shift points are unchanged approx. 5200rpm, and launch boost was about 4lbs.......was planning on servicing rear brakes and adding a bailey box to help that out.

Erics chips allow for 1st-2nd gear fuel/timing adjustments. If you're still on those default settings...then you're leaving alot on the table.

i try to gather as much data as i can on my runs, i know they are adjustable but do not know if it has been adjusted already or is on the default........never took it out since i got the car.......not sure if there is a way to tell without just resetting it

the other option also is to convert to fast......which may or may not be a better investment.......although i have no experience with a fast box.

i try to gather as much data as i can on my runs, i know they are adjustable but do not know if it has been adjusted already or is on the default........never took it out since i got the car.......not sure if there is a way to tell without just resetting it

To see where your setting are on the TT chip, just go in as if you were going to edit them using your Scanmaster and see where they are. It's not necessary to make any changes to them. You do need to look at each of the 4 parameters independently. Since you have Powerlogger, there may be a way to check the settings in each parameter without going through the standard method though. I'm not familiar with PL, but maybe someone will post up on an easy way to check the current settings, or maybe you can do a search or check the instructions on the PL.

Here's a link to the instructions for your chip & how to check / change parameters.

http://www.turbotweak.com/turbotweakinstructions57.pdf

I would change the chip from 27/28 degrees to 24/25 and turn up the boost, low 11's were not a problem when I had a 52.

there isn't a turbo buick combo that I have run that hasn't 60ft minimum of 1.5 on drag radials,what do you think your combo would run with that 60ft?you went 11.8 on a 1.90.

I don't think a turbo is going to get you more. There's 3-4mph more there even at the current boost level. If you got the car to go 117-118mph a cast 60-1 with a stage 5 or 76p ex in a Garrett .63 housing would give you the potential to make 70-80hp more. Heads, turbo, cam in that order. None of it matters if the tune isn't there. Idk what timing you are actually running but with 110 octane 22* is plenty safe at 25psi. Boost doesnt break engines. You are more detonation prone running 27* with 22psi than 26-27psi with 21-22* as long as the fuel system and tune are up to the task. IMO you should be able to run 11.40-11.50 with your current stuff. More turbo will support more power but won't make more power.

there isn't a turbo buick combo that I have run that hasn't 60ft minimum of 1.5 on drag radials,what do you think your combo would run with that 60ft?you went 11.8 on a 1.90.

my stock suspension and powermaster gn can pull 1.70's all day long......for some reason the limited wont hold boost on the vaccum brakes.......i would think that by dropping the 60ft by 2 tenths the rule of thumb is 4 tenths overall.......i haven't used anything but the foot brakes on either of my cars and thats the best i can manage without pushing thru the brakes.........limited has the usual brake upgrades

I don't think a turbo is going to get you more. There's 3-4mph more there even at the current boost level. If you got the car to go 117-118mph a cast 60-1 with a stage 5 or 76p ex in a Garrett .63 housing would give you the potential to make 70-80hp more. Heads, turbo, cam in that order. None of it matters if the tune isn't there. Idk what timing you are actually running but with 110 octane 22* is plenty safe at 25psi. Boost doesnt break engines. You are more detonation prone running 27* with 22psi than 26-27psi with 21-22* as long as the fuel system and tune are up to the task. IMO you should be able to run 11.40-11.50 with your current stuff. More turbo will support more power but won't make more power.

Appreciate all the input from everyone..............i guess i should look at the tune before anything else..........the only reason i asked the original question is because i have some play money and assumed that the easiest way to add power was bigger turbo, given the motor upgrades.

My new question now i guess is the chip worth playing with or would a fast system allow for a more in depth and reliable method of fine tuning based on experience of those that have used both...........i would be more apt to go to a tuning session on a dyno as i don't have the time or access to track t&t