My GN leaks more oil than...

David Turbo6

Ever, i just changed the belt, power steering resorvoir, valve cover gaskets. I did all this work last week and went for one ride and it leaks more oil then ever?? I am not a mechanic but do understand this cars and the fact that GN's all leak oil. Any help would be nice!
Thanks
David
My driveway is very upset:mad:

Since its in the driveway not just around the engine bay did you check if its leaking out the oil pan gasket or rear main seal?

It leaking a lot on the x pipe so when i start it up it smokes a lot.
Oil pan gasket looks ok...
I put a piece of carboard underneath the yesterday and seems to have
oil leaks coming from four differant spots.
Thanks

Sounds like the valve cover gaskets you just installed may be leaking.

BTW every Buick does not leak. I've got two, one of which doesn't leak a drop, and the other has a minor valve cover leak, no more than a dime sized spot overnight after a hard day's running.

oil.jpg
oil.jpg
oil.jpg

Many of the commonly available gaskets for the 3.8 are really useless garbage. One of the worst has to be the floppy blue rubber felpro oil pan gasket. Those things SUCK! The blue paper front cover gaskets aren't much better. Fortunately the felpro intake manifold gaskets are great though.

IMO the Cometic oil pan and front cover gaskets are the best. Black rubber valve cover gaskets are OK, but never tried the premium rubber composite felpro valve cover gaskets.

Thanks for all the input!
I trighten all bolts with lock tight,
i do have Gn1 valve covers which i used felpro rubber gaskets
they really don't fit perfectlly.
Maybe oem original garkets are better??:confused:

Dont forget... You can overtighten the gaskets...especially rubber gaskets. then it will leak excessively... Check the mfr's recommended torque for those...

The high end valve covers perma dry plus leak. I have had the best luck with rubber felpros.

Ever, i just changed the belt, power steering resorvoir, valve cover gaskets. I did all this work last week and went for one ride and it leaks more oil then ever?? I am not a mechanic but do understand this cars and the fact that GN's all leak oil. Any help would be nice!
Thanks
David
My driveway is very upset:mad:

All GN's or turbo regals don't leak oil. Mine doesn't leak a drop and i use the cheap cork gaskets from Autozone.

I believe the cork valve cover gaskets were $8.00 3 years ago when i bought them.

Like already mentioned don't over torque the gaskets when you install them. Also i use permatex sealer to hold the gasket to the valve cover and make sure to clean the head rails of all oil and dirt where the gasket is sealed against and tighten the valve cover down evenly. All surfaces should be free of oil and dirt where the gaskets make contact.

no all TR's dont leak oil ... just most when highly boosted may see a drop or too ....

Your cardboard wont indicate where the oil leak originates. Your leak is dripping on the crossmember, crossover pipe, and the air movement while driving is blowing it back. Time to methodically trace it, start from the top, valve covers, intake end seals, turbo drainback to the front of the block, etc, etc. Work your way to the bottom and see where it starts to get oily.

Thanks for all the input!
I trighten all bolts with lock tight,
i do have Gn1 valve covers which i used felpro rubber gaskets
they really don't fit perfectlly.
Maybe oem original garkets are better??:confused:
Using the loctite is a good idea. If the valve cover gaskets didn't have a perfect fit I would try to find some that do.

If your buick don't leak a single drop oil,its either Brand New or Not Used...
Buick's leaking is a trademark,if it's not leaking anymore ,your out of Oil...lol
Corks the way to go...(they absorb oil a little)

Enjoy!

The best I've ever heard is "Just think of it as horsepower sweat"!!

I agree, oil leaks are frustrating and messy. I hope to be able to retire my piece of plywood soon (the one that I park on top of to keep the oil off my garage floor).