My GN leaks more oil than...

Mine drips a tiny bit on the crossover everytime I park it, I've given up trying to find it. I believe the only way I'd see it is on an engine dyno, out in the open, then, maybe I could pinpoint it. Seeing the new engine gasket technology on the LS1 it really is obvious the car manufactures have really come a long way and have put a lot of thought into gaskets and engine sealing. If there was a O-ring groove cut in the valve cover flange giving a true even seal to the heads the valve covers would never leak again.
Mike

Dont forget... You can overtighten the gaskets...especially rubber gaskets. then it will leak excessively... Check the mfr's recommended torque for those...
Thanks for all the help there guys;)
So it turns out i had overtighen the valve covers.....
i now loossen up the bolts and
Voila...
no more leaks..for now!!

Buick's DON'T leak oil if you use the correct gaskets and install them all correctly. I went 34,000 miles on my last engine and it had plenty of 25-26 lbs. of boost and Never leaked a drop. Got the bug to build a new forged short block and now with 5,000 miles hasn't leaked a drop. Yes it took me some years and trial and error but my engines and the ones Iv'e built for others around here don't leak!!

Mine was leaking from the valve covers til I put new gaskets on. Still have some leaks from the breather on the drivers side. I think thats happening under boost.

Like already mentioned don't over torque the gaskets when you install them. Also i use permatex sealer to hold the gasket to the valve cover and make sure to clean the head rails of all oil and dirt where the gasket is sealed against and tighten the valve cover down evenly. All surfaces should be free of oil and dirt where the gaskets make contact.

I agree. I use cork gaskets on the v-covers and glue them to the v-covers with RTV and let them dry over night before installing them. Then I make sure the heads are sterilized REAL GOOD with paint thinner before installing them and I do not over tighten them. I also retighten them after a day or so b/c the gaskets do shrink a bit.
The oilpan I use cork also but I use RTV on both sides and I only use RTV for the end seals, no rubber gaskets. I let this dry over night before adding any oil. This still only slows down the oil leaks when under boost.

BUT, what really made a difference in keeping my driveway clean was the installation of an Electric Crankcase Evacuation System on the car (do a search). No more leaks even after test runs at 30psi of boost and others have had great success with this idea. Some will say this is a bandaid and I agree! But I'm willing to accept this bandaid as long as it will stick.

KS

cork

I agree. I use cork gaskets on the v-covers and glue them to the v-covers with RTV and let them dry over night before installing them. Then I make sure the heads are sterilized REAL GOOD with paint thinner before installing them and I do not over tighten them. I also retighten them after a day or so b/c the gaskets do shrink a bit.
The oilpan I use cork also but I use RTV on both sides and I only use RTV for the end seals, no rubber gaskets. I let this dry over night before adding any oil. This still only slows down the oil leaks when under boost.

BUT, what really made a difference in keeping my driveway clean was the installation of an Electric Crankcase Evacuation System on the car (do a search). No more leaks even after test runs at 30psi of boost and others have had great success with this idea. Some will say this is a bandaid and I agree! But I'm willing to accept this bandaid as long as it will stick.

KS

One time when i installed new cork valve cover gaskets and totally unplaned to do so a couple of days later i decided to pull the covers to check the rocker arms. After taking the bolts out i had to pry the covers off with a big screwdriver, this was with just snugging them down evenly and not over tightening them and i was running an open element breather on each cover at the time.

cork