MY CAR GOING IN FOR PAINT TODAY. HE SAYS 14 DAYS....WE'LL SEE??

Sadly, it seems like only the "special" guys get the 6 day turn around when it comes to a great paint job.
The rest of us "regular" guys are at the mercy of the paint shop.

Remember the old saying to get a job done, "it is not WHAT you know, it is WHO you know"! ;)

It absolutely possible, I just don't know anyone that could possibly work for that cheap and provide quality materials.
Mine was gone for 11 weeks total. Stripped to bare metal , then transported to DuPont's training facility to use their state of the art spray booth for paint. My wife's cousin owns 13 Dupont stores so they allowed the use of the booth. 3 coats of Standox paint and 6 Coates of Standox clear. It came out super nice. Well over 4 times the cost posted though.
20140126_133921.jpg

Phoneguy, i remember when you got your car painted, that was a beautiful paint job on that car but the comparison is apples and oranges, besides didnt your brother in law owe somkind of favor or something,again its who you know but not everybody has this option, i have had a few cars painted,usually took about a month for a total down to metal and back job. This cannot be done for 2500.00.

Phoneguy, i remember when you got your car painted, that was a beautiful paint job on that car but the comparison is apples and oranges, besides didnt your brother in law owe somkind of favor or something,again its who you know but not everybody has this option, i have had a few cars painted,usually took about a month for a total down to metal and back job. This cannot be done for 2500.00.
My wife's cousin who I've known longer than my wife ....I have done all of his voice and data work and installed phone system in his Dupont stores for over 20 years for free. He owns 13 or 14 now. He just returned the favor.

Bryan

I say Mirror!! very nice!! Might want to get that foundation looked at though,,,

Lots of hi Q paint products out there, that make PPG prices look like hiway robbery.
We just had my bud's 62 Stude done in tricoat. It was stripped, my bud did all the bodywork, we primed it.
Paint was House of Color... Bout 30% less than PPG.
Cost to do spray outs, jam and paint assembled, $5800. We assembled it, due to possibility of differences in shade with shooting individual panels. This stuff is not an easy product to apply. This does NOT include color sanding/buffing. My bud is doing that.

Ok......the car is back in my garage. To all the neighsayers..if you saw my car, you would be very happy. So here's the rundown- you guys saw the prep i did before car went in the shop, all interior removed, all exterior trim removed, bumpers, grill, cowl, rear spoiler, rearfender extensions, headlights, taillights, rear 1/4 glass, mirrors...all removed, hood, fenders, header panel, both doors...all removed. Original 28 year old paint removed. Sanded to bare metal, one small dime sized rust spot on driver door, and 50 door dings...all removed. Ppg primer sealer, 9700 black, and 2021 clear ( 3 coats each) .it took 5 weeks, instead of 2. Pics coming....

Ok......the car is back in my garage. To all the neighsayers..if you saw my car, you would be very happy. So here's the rundown- you guys saw the prep i did before car went in the shop, all interior removed, all exterior trim removed, bumpers, grill, cowl, rear spoiler, rearfender extensions, headlights, taillights, rear 1/4 glass, mirrors...all removed, hood, fenders, header panel, both doors...all removed. Original 28 year old paint removed. Sanded to bare metal, one small dime sized rust spot on driver door, and 50 door dings...all removed. Ppg primer sealer, 9700 black, and 2021 clear ( 3 coats each) .it took 5 weeks, instead of 2. Pics coming....
Very glad to hear it was done right !!!

Bryan

2nd go round of paint jail for me. Last year had fenders, doors, trunk, front fillers and spoiler done. Delivered stripped to painter and painted separately while I detailed the frame rails, new front suspension and did some motor work. Got the parts back and reassembled and drove the car to just a few events over the summer. Now the whole car is doing it's 2nd term over the winter, stripped the roof and quarters and doing a spoolfool rear filler. Crazy way to do it but works for me. Have great confidence in the shop doing the work. They normally do work on million dollar Porsches and an occasional Buick TR. The 28 year old GM paint was giving up the ghost and this is probably my last hurrah so wanted to get the car as perfect as possible.

Lots of hi Q paint products out there, that make PPG prices look like hiway robbery.
We just had my bud's 62 Stude done in tricoat. It was stripped, my bud did all the bodywork, we primed it.
Paint was House of Color... Bout 30% less than PPG.
Cost to do spray outs, jam and paint assembled, $5800. We assembled it, due to possibility of differences in shade with shooting individual panels. This stuff is not an easy product to apply. This does NOT include color sanding/buffing. My bud is doing that.
Hated tricoats when I worked at a bodyshop. GM had a burgandy/ red wine looking one that was a bastard to match.

Its not perfect, but i did not pay for, or expect, a perfect paint job. Its got some overspray under the hood, that i need to take care of. It's going to be a month before its roadworthy again. Thanks guys for all the input/concern/advice. I will post better pics when car is presentable. Power Tour here i come......

Attachments

• 1452819968580.jpg
    1452819968580.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 1452820049774.jpg
    1452820049774.jpg
    845 KB · Views: 169
  • 1452820096614.jpg
    1452820096614.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 172