MY CAR GOING IN FOR PAINT TODAY. HE SAYS 14 DAYS....WE'LL SEE??

JAMCAR223

IMG_4467.JPG
I've been stripping / prepping my car for new paint. The last couple weeks i've removed everything, even the interior. I prepped the jambs. and underside of the hood, removed the 1/4 glass, all the trim. He uses PPG. I chose 9700 black, and DBC 2021 clear.My painter says 14 days to complete, as he works on 1 car at a time . Quoted me $2500 for base/clear paint job. What do you guys think on the prep, the cost, and the time frame??

Seems like a bargain to me. If I charged out my paint job last year it would have been over 7000. Mine was also ppg.

Sounds good. Dbc is the base coat ,fyi. 2021 good production clear. Where are you at?

View attachment 268444 I've been stripping / prepping my car for new paint. The last couple weeks i've removed everything, even the interior. I prepped the jambs. and underside of the hood, removed the 1/4 glass, all the trim. He uses PPG. I chose 9700 black, and DBC 2021 clear.My painter says 14 days to complete, as he works on 1 car at a time . Quoted me $2500 for base/clear paint job. What do you guys think on the prep, the cost, and the time frame??
One man show out of his house? What sealers and primers is he going to use? The 14 days should be no problem at all even if he did multiple jobs ( As long as he has help) but doing one job at a time and only getting $2500.00 is a very low price. I spent over $800.00 for the materials to paint a door and 1/4 panel on my Yukon and i didn't have much paint left over. I would make it my business to stop by daily and check on things. Now try not to be annoying just do 5 minute visits.
Good luck

Im in Houston, and the guy started off wworking out of his house. He has had to move twice, to handle the growth. His first move, was right across crom my old shop, so i was able to see his work. He has 2 guys that work for him. He is using all PPG products, although i did not ask for numbers on those. I had 50 door dings to fix. I think we could all agree tbat prep is the key to any job, if you want the outcome you expect, so i tried to do as much prep as i could to help achieve my dezired outcome. I will be stopping by on Saturda, and will update then

Nice. Keep us posted how it goes. Hard to find a good shop that actually cares without breaking bank.

Last edited:
Is he stripping it all the way down? That's a main key in a complete paint, also how much bodywork is needed?, When they're just scuffed and painted we call that "putting lipstick on a pig" LOL. Not saying your car is a pig.. But for a spray job that sounds like a reasonable price. Its my dad and I, both part-time at his place and we will do a complete strip and paint, on average 3 weeks, all panels removed starting at $4k...Mike

Last edited:
Is he stripping it all the way down? That's a main key in a complete paint, also how much bodywork is needed?, When they're just scuffed and painted we call that "putting lipstick on a pig" LOL. Not saying your car is a pig.. But for a spray job that sounds like a reasonable price. Its my dad and I, both part-time at his place and we will do a complete strip and paint, on average 3 weeks, all panels removed starting at $4k...Mike

That same paint job you described, is what I'm after. The disassembly, prep. and reassembly that I will be doing, is why I'm getting out a little cheaper.

Car looks solid.I doubt he's going to the metal.I think $2500 is fairly cheap.My brother got a quote once they told him $8000 but he had to have it ready to just shoot! Hope it comes out great! Any updates?

Updates are...the car is not ready yet. The 14 days he originally quoted will turn into 22 days. I have a new delivery date of Thursday, Dec. 31. Holidays, weather, and him bitching about all the block sanding, has added time. He said he has blocked the car 3 times, and that Ill be happy. In the meantime, I have painted all the exterior trim...window molding, hood trim, trunk trim, door handles, lock cylinders, grille, headlight bezels, taillight bezels, turn signal bezels. I bought new fender trim, and lock cylinder gaskets. I have a brand new windshield installed, so Im hoping for the best. I will have a full report, and pics, shortly. James-

Painting over the original lacquer paint or going stripping to bare metal?

Price is nice but too low. A decent job runs close to $10k these days. Good materials will run into the $3-4k range.
I would want the car stripped to the metal to make sure there are no issues.
14 or 22 days sounds nice but it will take longer. It always does.
My last full paint was supposed to take 1 month. It was 6-7 months and I delivered it stripped- just like the one in your pic.
Any updates?

Hope it comes out well for you !!

I can't see anyone ever stripping a car to bare metal and painting for what you were quoted. I hope he was just hard up for money and does it right. Good luck !!!

Bryan

This car was driven into the paint shop on a Thursday and the following Tuesday, I took this picture!

Three of the best painters/body guys teamed up for some quick "weekend" cash did the prep and paint!

Limited.jpg

Attachments

• Limited 2.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 136
  • Limited 2.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Here it is a year later still looking good!

Attachments

• Limited 2.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 140
Nice looking D84! I love it...

Sadly, it seems like only the "special" guys get the 6 day turn around when it comes to a great paint job.
The rest of us "regular" guys are at the mercy of the paint shop.