Motor making a pounding noise

Remember, NOBODY is exempt from the wallet draining love hate relationship with these cars. Many with jobs, experience and facilities have quit and moved on, so don't be to hard on yourself.
These cars are not for everyone.

Many who gave up for various reasons have returned though. :eek:

Last edited:
Lol not at all. I'm not blaming him for any of that at all. All I'm blaming him for is a terrible build, worst experience ever, and a complete waste of 5,000$. And no I will definitely move up to an inter cooled set up over this hot air junk as my money allows. Way too much work for someone who only knows so much. That's my opinion an I'm not saying an IC set up is better or cheaper or easier...I'm saying once I break shit on the IC motor, parts will be readily available as opposed to waiting a solid 42 days for doorman to send a proper fitting timing cover. And part of the reason I rip on that guy that built the motor is because he said it will take him 14 business days until I get my car back(too good to be true) but instead I ended up waiting I think it was about 4 and a half months. I think I'm just upset because I shouldn't have bothered rebuilding this motor in the first place...

That's odd. hot airs and IC engines use the same timing cover.

I don't even want to know how your builder managed to get the build cost up to 5K.

You might be able to get by with a rod or two and a cheap crank kit. But that would involve a best case scenario to start with, and a best case scenario after the engines built hoping it'll stay together.

Yeah idk my buddy got an ls2 top bottom rebuild for 3,300$ so idk. But idk the timing cover situation but I guess he got a timing cover from Dorman and he put it on and I guess "it ruined everything" so he contacted doorman for a new cover and money for the "damage" it caused.
Regardless, I just have an issue with bitching but idk I'm screwed. I'm pulling the motor in the next week. My buddy Derek on the forum is helping so im pretty confident and I sure I will learn a bunch from what Derrek will show me and help me with

I hate myself for reading this whole thread... I really want to like this kid since he is cheerful and honest but he asked for advice, was provided said advice, and failed to follow much of it. A month and no compression test? Maybe I should read the other thread about his oil pressure woes before criticizing him since I only have half the story.
My advice- spend a little more time in your frigid garage (the cold makes the lesson stick with ya) and less time online quoting/questioning every reply. There's lots of wisdom to be gained on here if you listen

I think I'm just upset because I shouldn't have bothered rebuilding this motor in the first place...

And there you have it!

There are some expensive times ahead if you choose to go forward with an IC V6 build, but SOOOOOOOO worth it in the end if you set a realistic goal and stick too your guns. It doesn't have to be an 11 second car out of the gate.

Then again, if you know and have experience with them, there are a LOT of LS engines in cars just like yours.

It is certainly a viable alternative that many have chosen...........

That's odd. hot airs and IC engines use the same timing cover.

I don't even want to know how your builder managed to get the build cost up to 5K.

Ditto on the timing cover....
and for a 5k build you should be able to do donuts every other weekend with no worries at all. :D

Seriously good luck Danny, I hope you are up & running in short order.

No disrespect but with where you are in your learning curve, It may be an easier & a cheaper way out to pick up a good replacement short block, Grooms, etc, etc but only if yours is toast. If you decide to buy used make sure you know what you are getting or buy from a stand up honest member/seller or you may buy one with the same problems you already have. You should be able to pick up a used healthy stock long block for around $1300-2k.

I have a good friend that pounded a Groom's Replacement for years with high boost and alky.

I agree with GNONYX contact that shop but only thing I would worry that they will not put forth the effort as you would. Is there anyone close by Danny that could help?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

By the sounds of things - even if they offered to pay HIM to rebuild it - I think i would pass on giving that shop a second bite at my a$$

It's all good.
Just breath for a second
Let me tell you something
There are more than few quite experienced guys on this board, who have replaced or rebuilt their motors several times.
Shit happens.

And the talk about getting the shop to do this or do that
Man - I don't know about all that.
These are high performance muscle cars - and it ain't like Aunt Sally who just paid the local Pep Boys to put a new motor in her Taurus.
Besides, the engine building guy sounds like a douche bag anyway so screw him.
If this is the only time you get screwed in life - consider it like winning the lottery.

Now make a plan
And forget that nonsense about working on bearings or whatever from underneath the car.
That's the definition of insanity.
Especially for a learner.
Head gaskets - ok sure. Leave the motor in if you want to.
But you can fiddle around with the motor in the car alot longer than just getting it out and on a stand where it is accessible.
Most real doctors or car guys wouldn't dilly dally around doing major stuff - they will just grab the motor and get it on the operating table.

I'll assume you found yourself a DD - which is required when owning a TR - and hell - you live in Detroit so you can't expect to drive a TR in the snow anyway.
I know I never did.
Next - space heater - Craigslist, new whatever. Kerosene - check.
Horrible Freight cherry picker or - rent one - but why. You always need a cherry picker.
Horrible Freight engine stand - check
A decent buddy or two - although I only need them to help with the hood - I prefer to work alone on the rest
Pull engine, nice and easy and take your time bagging and labeling
Get your motor on the stand and take a long breath, and work on it.
So far - you know how much that cost you?
About 300 bucks - give or take.

I am not clear - but is it a 109 block or?
If not - decide what you want to do - perhaps get by with HG or bearings if needed - or??
If it is LC2 you want, you have 4 months until springtime anyway
Get a second job and make some extra money to start to accumulate the required pieces.
Because you need more than just an LC2 motor, you need all the other "stuff"
LC2 Motor w/ turbo and accessories = $2500
Other stuff = <$1000 or so; maybe less on a tight scrounge budget
So - get to work young man!
OR
Post the picture of your roller that is for sale please
Merry Christmas though - I mean it

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all good.
Just breath for a second
Let me tell you something
There are more than few quite experienced guys on this board, who have replaced or rebuilt their motors several times.
Shit happens.

And the talk about getting the shop to do this or do that
Man - I don't know about all that.
These are high performance muscle cars - and it ain't like Aunt Sally who just paid the local Pep Boys to put a new motor in her Taurus.
Besides, the engine building guy sounds like a douche bag anyway so screw him.
If this is the only time you get screwed in life - consider it like winning the lottery.

Now make a plan
And forget that nonsense about working on bearings or whatever from underneath the car.
That's the definition of insanity.
Especially for a learner.
Head gaskets - ok sure. Leave the motor in if you want to.
But you can fiddle around with the motor in the car alot longer than just getting it out and on a stand where it is accessible.
Most real doctors or car guys wouldn't dilly dally around doing major stuff - they will just grab the motor and get it on the operating table.

I'll assume you found yourself a DD - which is required when owning a TR - and hell - you live in Detroit so you can't expect to drive a TR in the snow anyway.
I know I never did.
Next - space heater - Craigslist, new whatever. Kerosene - check.
Horrible Freight cherry picker or - rent one - but why. You always need a cherry picker.
Horrible Freight engine stand - check
A decent buddy or two - although I only need them to help with the hood - I prefer to work alone on the rest
Pull engine, nice and easy and take your time bagging and labeling
Get your motor on the stand and take a long breath, and work on it.
So far - you know how much that cost you?
About 300 bucks - give or take.

I am not clear - but is it a 109 block or?
If not - decide what you want to do - perhaps get by with HG or bearings if needed - or??
If it is LC2 you want, you have 4 months until springtime anyway
Get a second job and make some extra money to start to accumulate the required pieces.
Because you need more than just an LC2 motor, you need all the other "stuff"
LC2 Motor w/ turbo and accessories = $2500
Other stuff = <$1000 or so; maybe less on a tight scrounge budget
So - get to work young man!
OR
Post the picture of your roller that is for sale please
Merry Christmas though - I mean it
That was pretty motivating. My busy Derek is coming over a few days after Christmas and we are pulling out the motor. Is there anything I can use to substitute for a motor stand or is that dumb? I really really am eager to dig into this thing. Hell I might even decide to sell some of the goodies on my block on here. In the next few days this will happen. Till then I'm hoping for the best. I really hope it's something just stupid like a blown hg but I'm ready for whatever it may be. Like I said... I love messing around on this thing. I like to think of it as my hobby

That was pretty motivating. My busy Derek is coming over a few days after Christmas and we are pulling out the motor. Is there anything I can use to substitute for a motor stand or is that dumb? I really really am eager to dig into this thing. Hell I might even decide to sell some of the goodies on my block on here. In the next few days this will happen. Till then I'm hoping for the best. I really hope it's something just stupid like a blown hg but I'm ready for whatever it may be. Like I said... I love messing around on this thing. I like to think of it as my hobby

It's kind of dumb - but ok.
But if you need something in a pinch, and to set the motor on when your buddy is there helping you
Make one out of wood - a cradle
A box
Easy - QTY 2 - 2x6 or 2x8; a box so to speak to set the oil pan down into
Out of scrap 2x6 and a little plywood, super super cheap.
But you really can't get to the bearings
C'mon man- you're gonna make me cry and have to send you a gift certificate for Horrible Freight.
What do we have to do here all donate 10 bucks to buy you a shiny red engine stand for Christmas - instead of a bike? ;)

LOL
You and that youthful exuberance.
Just balance all that eagerness with a little stoicism and a calm, detailed, thoughtful approach.
Like an engineer

You know - you remind me of a puppy I once had.
Then eventually - it grew into a nice calm lay around dog.
Eventually.

What you also need is an experienced, older, wiser TR guy helping you out.
Bad time of the year ok - But where are all of Detroit's TR guys on this one?
I'm gonna get tee'd off enough that I'll fly up there myself and look at it.
Ugghh..I despise having to go call on Detroit in the ....ummm..anytime. :(

[quote="DannyJov, post: 3329981, member: 42570". Hell I might even decide to sell some of the goodies on my block on here. [/quote]

Don't go getting all silly on me now.
I got you thinking right - so don't go starting to sell engine parts until we know what the hell is even wrong with your motor.
For all you know - you have a simple head gasket.
Big freakin deal.
Search "blown head gasket " on here and prepare for the 200 pages of results

Hahah exactly what I'm praying for. But yes Derrek that has always been helping me out is a very very experienced TR dude. He has multiple and a few that run 9's. I trust him and so far he's taught me a lot. I'm gonna borrow someone's stand for now but in the mean time I looked on Craigslist and they're pretty cheap. I don't care how long this will take me...I just find it fun to mess with. Like how cool is it that I can fix my car myself instead of paying someone to do it for me, and on top of that...it's a fricken turbo regal !!

And for the record, if it weren't for any of you guys, my car would have been parked at my grandmas house a year ago...rotting away. You all really got me into these things especially cause you all want to see me put in the effort to do all this.

And it's cool cause I've never done any of this crap before besides change oil or add some coolant.

I appreciate all the help and enthusiasm and smartass criticism you all have to offer. Ain't that right earl ;) ?

Hahah exactly what I'm praying for. But yes Derrek that has always been helping me out is a very very experienced TR dude. He has multiple and a few that run 9's. I trust him and so far he's taught me a lot. I'm gonna borrow someone's stand for now but in the mean time I looked on Craigslist and they're pretty cheap. I don't care how long this will take me...I just find it fun to mess with. Like how cool is it that I can fix my car myself instead of paying someone to do it for me, and on top of that...it's a fricken turbo regal !!

Well there you go then - you have good help.
Now be a good host and make sure your garage is warm with a space heater
Grab some used fiberglass insulation and fill the cracks around the door - some 3" tape on the gap to keep in the warm
And organized and ready
And don't look like a bozo with only a crescent wrench and screwdriver
Have your tools organized and cleaned
Jack and jackstands ready
Oil drain pans cleaned up and ready to receive - some empty milk jugs for overflow
Go to Dollar Store and buy a bunch of small snack sized zip log baggies, and sandwich sized, as well as quart - That's like 7 bucks total
Now - take your empty beer 12 pack cases - you know those right?
And cut yourself little 2" x 4" pieces and put those in a nice box, with a couple of pens for making reference cards to slip into the baggies with the parts and peices
A clipboard and some paper with pens - you can steal them from hotels like I do...I mean..borrow.
A roll of masking tape to write on and a sharpie for numbering things and taking pictures
Some nice smallish boxes to organize your parts
Some bubble wrap or newspaper from the dumpsters around town
All that costs you is like - well 7 bucks

You see kid - I've been there - once or twice ;)

It's more than a headgasket with all that noise. The drunken gnomes in your crankcase were making contact with hard parts.

Engine stands are cheep cheep at harbor freight and discount coupons are pretty easy to come across too.

In the meantime a wooden crate is pretty easy to build if you pull it before getting a stand.

Pretty sure there's a pic of mine somewhere on this thread...
http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/buick-v6-turbo-tech/88129-day-life-earl.html

Miller lite 24 bottle boxes make excellent parts holders as the glue joints are extremely strong. and they stack well :)

Hahah exactly what I'm praying for. But yes Derrek that has always been helping me out is a very very experienced TR dude. He has multiple and a few that run 9's. I trust him and so far he's taught me a lot.

It sounds like Derek has a lot in common with Job.
Bless him

It's more than a headgasket with all that noise. The drunken gnomes in your crankcase were making contact with hard parts.

Engine stands are cheep cheep at harbor freight and discount coupons are pretty easy to come across too.

In the meantime a wooden crate is pretty easy to build if you pull it before getting a stand.

Pretty sure there's a pic of mine somewhere on this thread...
http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/buick-v6-turbo-tech/88129-day-life-earl.html

Miller lite 24 bottle boxes make excellent parts holders as the glue joints are extremely strong. and they stack well :)

Awww...again - Earl is surprising me with his new heart.
That grew three times that day! :D

Yeah - prolly bearings - but once you have the short block engine on the wooden pallet - you have more power.
As in - ok Mr. Engine Rebuilder man - I'm going to bring you a short block; all nice n tidy like and you will have it back to me in ...oh...a week sound good?
Ok - 2 weeks then.
Another reason Danny to build a engine box out of wood - for transporting it.
Properly.
Not hillbilly style on tires like I used to do when I was stupid. :D

And since we're plugging Horrible Freight - a movers dolly on sale for like - what 14 bucks?
Screw the wooden box to the movers dolly and you have a very mobile long or short block
You can't buy 4 casters for that price.