Motor making a pounding noise

It has to be really blown to show up on a compression test. A smaller leak would have to have a leakdown test or a cooling system pressure test.

A blown head gasket won't sound like meth addicted gnomes in the oil pan with hammers.

listen Danny, you claimed Derek who has experience is coming over a few days after Christmas and both of you are going to pull the motor out.
Before you pull the engine out first have Derek check torque the harmonic bolt back to spec.
Then do a compression test just to make sure you have a healthy engine and if so then continue to troubleshoot with Derek experience
Maybe Derek already knows what are the compression #'s are or maybe someone else can chime in with those #'s since I can't find the PDF factory spec .

Attachments

• TurboBuicks.com_Torque_Spec.pdf
    299 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
listen Danny, you claimed Derek who has experience is coming over a few days after Christmas and both of you are going to pull the motor out.
Before you pull the engine out first have Derek check torque the harmonic bolt back to spec.
Then do a compression test just to make sure you have a healthy engine and if so then continue to troubleshoot with Derek experience
Maybe Derek already knows what are the compression # are or maybe someone else can chime in with does # since I can't find the PDF factory spec .
Awesome sounds like a plan!

When I checked mine this past fall all the cylinders were in the 145-150 psi range. They should be close to each other as far as pressures go. Within 10% from highest to lowest. That is what I have always been told. I have heard people say as high as 15%.

If you have one cylinder that is low you can put a little oil in the cylinder through the spark plug hole and try it again. If it stays low then a valve isn't sealing or the hg is blown pretty bad. If it goes up in pressure the rings are more than likely worn.

When I checked mine this past fall all the cylinders were in the 145-150 psi range. They should be close to each other as far as pressures go. Within 10% from highest to lowest. That is what I have always been told. I have heard people say as high as 15%.

If you have one cylinder that is low you can put a little oil in the cylinder through the spark plug hole and try it again. If it stays low then a valve isn't sealing or the hg is blown pretty bad. If it goes up in pressure the rings are more than likely worn.

Thanks for the info, at least now I know what to look for when I check mine in the future.

I notice your sig. you have a 2.5 stainless steel Pypes Pro Exhaust system, maybe you can video the sound and place it on the on going thread:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/exhaust-system-feedback-please.405410/#post-3330530

Awe man! Was looking forward to reading the end result.... Oh well back to my projects

TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

This was just like watching the matrix 1 and 2. Then you get to the third and you just aren't interested.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Bottom line, don't burn fellow TB.com members. Only reason I found the other thread is I'm off two weeks for the holidays and was surfing. Sounds like a dumb kid move, but being burnt is being burnt. I guess I don't need to send him a leak down tester for Christmas:wtf: Happy New Year All!

well then set up a bank trust fund or something........

Folks here are offering some free money to get the car back on the road and you take a pass? That's crazy! :wacky:

LOL...I know it
Poor kid.
I was gonna send him a Horrible Freight gift card

Danny - does Meijer's Shifty Takers even sell that sort of stuff?
Aren't they really just a classy Walmart these days?

Maybe Derek already knows what are the compression #'s are or maybe someone else can chime in with those #'s since I can't find the PDF factory spec .

That poor motor has been so violated in the last couple months, it will probably run out of the garage should Danny pull it.
But good call.
Me - I was going for the whole face transplant surgery before I tried to figure out if it was just a pimple. :D

Damn. Guess what goes around . . . . I'm perma-out.

Jeryl,

On a happier note - You have that 84 GN show car right?

If so - Tell me about those 84 GN seats you have
Recovers?
From, who, how much - all the details. And oh - please! :D

Come on now Heisenberg, even you had a soft spot for the kid, sounding more like a father or even a Big Brother figure; as we all did in trying to help the kid out. One thing is for sure, you don't screw your mentors, teachers, or your fellow members, who are willingly going out of there way to help anyone with a unsolved problem, or someone buying something from you.

There was something about this kid the first time I started to read his problem, and the fine print underneath his Avatar that states:
Do Not Buy From Me

True statement especially when it was written by the cojones himself

Last edited: