Motor making a pounding noise

DannyJov

Do Not Buy From Me
Well... I guess you can say I was being stupid.. But anyways I was cruising around the other day with a couple of girls in my car and I saw an empty parking lot. Of course I busted a quick right into the empty lot and and tried showing off. I slipped it into first and brake torqued it until my wheels were spinning and then I went at it. I was whipping donuts around this lot like I have never done before (still in first gear) and then I left off after about 15 seconds(still in first). Once I left off the gass I hear this very strange tapping noise. I drove back to my house (a mile down the road and pulled into the garage and shut her off. It starts up fine but there's this very weird noise coming from my intake area. Checked my drivers side push rods and they were as straight as an arrow. My rocker arm was fine aswell.

What could this be...I was ripping it pretty hard and I was in first the entire time. Can someone help me out and pinpoint what EXACTY happened??
Thanks guys

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

not knowing what you hear
possibles
rod knock , remove and cut the oil filter open and check for metal , drop pan check pan for metal
headgasket blown into valley , do a compression test

not knowing what you hear
possibles
rod knock , remove and cut the oil filter open and check for metal , drop pan check pan for metal
headgasket blown into valley , do a compression test

How can I go about a compression test

My coolant level is also substantially lower than what it was the morning before this happened. But the water in my radiator is full

Check for condensation in breathers, oil cap, dip stick, PCV, and look down PPCV hole with flash light.

I also put a screw driver up to my hear while it was touching my intake and I could hear a ton random noises as if someone was beating cooking pans with a stick

Check for condensation in breathers, oil cap, dip stick, PCV, and look down PPCV hole with flash light.

I don't even have breathers on my cover -___-
Where is this PPCV hole? And my dipstick look normal(not a milky color) but my coolant has went down alot. It was at full now it's below the 'add' marker

Look at the passenger side valve cover. On the end is there a filter or is there a breather with a hose going to the inlet bell of the turbo? Then check the oil fill cap cover. did you have the driver side valve cover off? start pulling spark plug wires one at a time and see if there is any change. be careful use insulated pliers or your going to get zapped. Cam lobe might have got wiped out. pull the passenger side cover and look at the rockers. disable spark and fuel and have someone turn the engine over and make sure they all move the one that moves very little would be the culprit.

the tin could be the stock valley pan getting hit from air from a blown head gasket

Look at the passenger side valve cover. On the end is there a filter or is there a breather with a hose going to the inlet bell of the turbo? Then check the oil fill cap cover. did you have the driver side valve cover off? start pulling spark plug wires one at a time and see if there is any change. be careful use insulated pliers or your going to get zapped. Cam lobe might have got wiped out. pull the passenger side cover and look at the rockers. disable spark and fuel and have someone turn the engine over and make sure they all move the one that moves very little would be the culprit.

I don't have any lines coming off of my passenger side valve cover. I put the drivers side back together but it seemed fine to me I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. But I will go ahead and take the passenger side valve cover when I get time today or tomorrow. But what could be the noises that I heard in my intake? Could this be turbo related because I could hear it come from that general region(I do have a hot air motor for the record)

Sounds like a blown headgasket of sorts, the significant coolant drop is a giveaway. Perform a coolant pressure test and see if it holds pressure.

Sounds like a blown headgasket of sorts, the significant coolant drop is a giveaway. Perform a coolant pressure test and see if it holds pressure.

That's what I automatically assumed...but a blown head gasket wouldn't make the slapping/ pounding noise would it? My oil also look perfectly normal on the dipstick but I did only drive it for a mile after I heard the noise...

the tin could be the stock valley pan getting hit from air from a blown head gasket

How would that be possible or how would that work. I heard the noise coming from the top of the block and I heard it best with a screw driver up to my ear when it was on the intake underneath my throttle body.

the stock steel (tin) intake valley pan gasket is one piece and runs from head to head under the intake , if you blow the gasket at #4 or #3 (common because thats where the longer bolts are ) the pan is right there ,

the stock steel (tin) intake valley pan gasket is one piece and runs from head to head under the intake , if you blow the gasket at #4 or #3 (common because thats where the longer bolts are ) the pan is right there ,

Ok now how could I test this or trouble shoot it before I actually start tearing my intake and valves back off? Just trying to learn hear so fill me in even if they are stupid questions.!
Thanks again

start with a compression test .
compression tester is one of the basic auto tools , you can get or borrow one from any auto parts store
pull all plugs and look at them ,
disconnect ecm orange wire , prop throttle open , screw in compresssion tester and crank about 5 full cycles and see what reading you get , repeat for rest of cylinders and compare

start with a compression test .
compression tester is one of the basic auto tools , you can get or borrow one from any auto parts store
pull all plugs and look at them ,
disconnect ecm orange wire , prop throttle open , screw in compresssion tester and crank about 5 full cycles and see what reading you get , repeat for rest of cylinders and compare

Awesome !! Thank you I'll do that ASAP I appreciate your help. What exactly does a compression test tell me