Motor making a pounding noise

Well... I guess you can say I was being stupid.. But anyways I was cruising around the other day with a couple of girls in my car and I saw an empty parking lot. Of course I busted a quick right into the empty lot and and tried showing off. I slipped it into first and brake torqued it until my wheels were spinning and then I went at it. I was whipping donuts around this lot like I have never done before (still in first gear) and then I left off after about 15 seconds(still in first). Once I left off the gass I hear this very strange tapping noise. I drove back to my house (a mile down the road and pulled into the garage and shut her off. It starts up fine but there's this very weird noise coming from my intake area. Checked my drivers side push rods and they were as straight as an arrow. My rocker arm was fine aswell.

What could this be...I was ripping it pretty hard and I was in first the entire time. Can someone help me out and pinpoint what EXACTY happened??
Thanks guys

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
you blew the head gasket at the top and it is busted into the valley of the engine. I have a head gasket that I can show you exactly what you did. LOL

no sir I have not given up but that is ridiculous because I should have given up when i cracked that timing cover several months ago. Well the motor continued to make a knocking noise after i disconnected the tc so I moved on to checking my push rods lifters and rockers. Didnt find anything. Drained the oil and I didnt even see that many shavings in there...well there was worse on my moms astro last oil change lol. so now I need help and suggestions. Pull the damn hot air work of art out orrrrrr.....

and no I ran out of funds after I bought the car. I still have to pay my motor off since my recent rebuild. Im getting the feeling that I should throw in the towel because If i have to spend more money on this thing I dont think I will be able to do that...
any suggestions?

hey man listen you have a spun rod bearing or maybe even two. pull the motor flip it over and pull the pan and you should see your problem there.

Or just drop the pan and flash a light up there...I can't pull the motor like you can. I have a small garage and no cherry pick. I will pull it out if needed. But I would loooove to try and figure out forsure what happened with out pulling the motor.

ok well it needs to be rebuilt but if you just want to get it going pull the pan and take all your rod caps apart and make sure to number the rod caps because they need to go back together just like you took them apart. take the rod bearing out of the rod cap and look on the back and see what is says like .10 or .20 thats the size you need then go order the correct rod bearings and reinstall them and torque the rod bolts and put back on the pan. thats the best you can do with out pulling the motor and i have done it before so it can be done. this should fix your problem for awhile anyways and you can do it all for 100.00 bearings+oil and filter+pan gasket=DONE

Last edited:
ok well it needs to be rebuilt but if you just want to get it going pull the pan and take all your rod caps apart and make sure to number the rod caps because they need to go back together just like you took them apart. take the rod bearing out of the rod cap and look on the back and see what is says like .10 or .20 thats the size you need then go order the correct rod bearings and reinstall them and torque the rod bolts and put back on the pan. thats the best you can do with out pulling the motor and i have done it before so it can be done. this should fix your problem for awhile anyways and you can do it all for 100.00 bearings+oil and filter+pan gasket+antifreeze=DONE

Woah really? Well a rebuild is not an option right now so what steps should I take to doing this. I've never messed with the guts of any motor...or done any of the crap I have done to my car before so I'm not tryna screw this up this time. Is it as easy as it sounds..

it sure is you just need a torque wrench a little hammer and what ever size socket the rod cap nuts are, so first drain your oil and then pull the pan and turn the engine by hand until the back rod faces straight down then scratch a number 1 on the rod cap and rod. take them off back to front numbering them up to 6. you have to turn the engine by hand so you will need a 6 inch extension rachet and whatever size the bolt is in the harmonic balancer thats where you turn the engine from.

NO X2,3,4 ETC.If it is bearings,WHAT the hell caused it and what other damage is done!!![/quote
Danny, theoretically you can do that. The problem is if you have spun a bearing you generally have also scored the rod journal on that bearing. If all you do is replace it without machine work on the crank, you will have the same issue again rather quickly. I did the same thing many moons ago on a Chevy dump truck for a friend (and let him know that I didn't guarantee it) and it lasted about a day before starting to knock again, which was enough to get it off the side of the road and traded.
If finances allow, I would go ahead and rent a cherry picker and an engine stand and go ahead on and pull the engine, tear it down and find what's wrong with that bad boy. If you have to give up on it financially, so be it. You won't hardly get any LESS money with the engine in the trunk then you will with a broken one up front. Best of luck and Happy Holidays
troy

Danny, If you separated the motor from the transmission and it still making that noise then it's somewhere inside the motor.
My personal opinion is put all back together and bring it back to where you had the engine rebuild and tell them the engine started to make noise since you rebuild the engine, and let them rebuilt it again with no recharge expense to you since they didn't do it right in the first place.

Danny, If you separated the motor from the transmission and it still making that noise then it's somewhere inside the motor.
My personal opinion is put all back together and bring it back to where you had the engine rebuild and tell them the engine started to make noise since you rebuild the engine, and let them rebuilt it again with no recharge expense to you since they didn't do it right in the first place.

I want to do this, but when this dude rebuilt my motor, he used a Dorman timing cover that ended up cracking on me so I replaced it. Would that kid my warranty or what. I guess I would have to ask him but I know he will come up with some bullshit on how he won't rebuild it again free of charge cause this thing gave him a ride for his money. He fucked so many things up during the rebuild that he had to make up faulty claims and get in touch with manufacturers of some of the parts in the motor and bs to them about how they're part screwed my motor up an that they owe him a new part plus cash

I agree with GNONYX contact that shop but only thing I would worry that they will not put forth the effort as you would. Is there anyone close by Danny that could help?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I have a few guys locally but the thing is if I pull it out. There's no way this hot air piece of crap is going back in...

I want to do this, but when this dude rebuilt my motor, he used a Dorman timing cover that ended up cracking on me so I replaced it. Would that kid my warranty or what. I guess I would have to ask him but I know he will come up with some bullshit on how he won't rebuild it again free of charge cause this thing gave him a ride for his money. He fucked so many things up during the rebuild that he had to make up faulty claims and get in touch with manufacturers of some of the parts in the motor and bs to them about how they're part screwed my motor up an that they owe him a new part plus cash

Read your first post again and then place the blame on the guy that built the motor..........

2 wrongs don't make a right, young man.

He may not have done the best job one could imagine on the build, but If you choose to blame and go after the builder for your own carelessness, I'm of the opinion that you will lose much of the credibility you've built up here. Keep that in mind as you move forward.

I'm jus' sayin.......

Last edited:
2 wrongs don't make a right, young man.

He may not have done the best job one could imagine on the build, but If you choose to blame and go after the builder for your own carelessness, I'm of the opinion that you will lose much of the credibility you've built up here. Keep that in mind as you move forward.

I'm jus' sayin.......
X2

Also, if you lack a place or funds to rebuild a stock HA, don't think a IC'd setup conversion will be cheaper or easier. If you pull the HA junk out, I'd say put in a SB Chubby with a carb.

Just saying . . .