Motivate Me!

jake616

I started a website awhile back (before summer) dedicated to my cars, and such but never got real far. Please take a look, give me comments and ideas, and motivate me to finish! :D

-jake

P-R-O-B-E-D Website

If it sucks, let me know...but tell me why and how it can be improved.

If it's good, tell me what it needs.

Information I am also looking for: good image editing/creating programs, website programs, scripting that can help me...

THNAKS!

a little bland, like mcdonald hamburger, without the bad taste. it looks pretty good, but theres nothing there. it needs some material not empty links.

personally id like to see a while web site devoted to grand national videos and pictures. yes i know theres several verry good sites already but you can never have enough.

I plan on doing a site tellign about the car's I wanna own, and the plans I'd have for it too... some how or another :D Grand Nationals = #1!

For starters, it's good that you got a site that's almost not attached to some third party host such as Geocities or Yahoo. I see the banner there so it's not completely yours but not completely theirs either and visitors always like as few pop-ups as possible. The background, while all very busy and exciting, is way too much on the eyes and it just, well, it needs to go is what it needs to do. Obviously, the links need to have items under them and without content, the site is no better than a book with blank pages and well, you never heard anyone say "I found a really good read inside an empty notebook" because well, there's nothing to read and thereby comment on. Another thing, keep in mind that many people still have old and un-updated browsers or weird settings where they cannot see frames, and so, they're only getting half the site, make sure to have either a link to a frameless version of the site or just rid of them completely. Audio or visual downloads are always a bonus, but don't force people who don't have fast internet or music of their own playing in the background by having a video or song set to autoplay because it's annoying and terribly frustrating. If you really want to get in tune with web design, you can take up learning HTML and Java to have a little fun. I know that with Java, you can set up your own chat room as an applet right there on your site. Image editor, there is simply nothing better than Photoshop, and of course, the newer, the better (I believe the newest is 7.0). As far as general content, make sure each link has information that stays on topic with what the link was to. This not only means make sure the links go to where they are supposed to, but make sure you don't start one topic and ramble off into the next, keep it straight. At the bottom of each and every page, it's nice to have a link to take the user back to the front page in case they want to click on some other link and don't want to press the Back button on their browser window. Also, and this is very important, make sure that if you link to someone else's picture or their site, make sure you have their permission because at the least, you'll know the link won't go dead on you. On that note, keep constant check making sure all links, threads, images, etc. work, all the time. Yes, even in the middle of the night. Now for the motivational part.... Internet-oriented magazines and books have said over and over that 95% of the internet is garbage, try and see if you can make your site qualify in the other 5%.

Well, as far as that 5%, definitely get as much information on there as you can, make sure it's legitimate and correct, and then of course simply make it presentable and in an easy-to-follow order. Then once this is done, get it up on some sort of a site advertiser that are out there. These are the usually no-charge deals that you put in information about your website and give it a worthwhile description like "Information about such and such" instead of "My Car Site" and this program adds your website to a search engine like Yahoo! and Google. So let's suppose I am on the internet and I want a site about wheel offsets, and I need specific information. If you title your site "My Wheel Page," it's going to come up with the other 469,163,746,161 wheel websites, and well, first come, first serve, I'll never get to your website. However, if you put something like "Wheel spacing and it's effects on suspension," then I am far more likely to get to your site, and regardless of whether it has the information I need or not, I actually got through the rest of the internet and found what I needed. Then, I go to a message board and respond to some wheel spacer question and I say "Oh, I found it off this great online resource at www.whatever and you should go there" and the next person learns and so on. Try it out, pick some topic and then first do a very broad search for it, then, try the search again looking specifically for what you need and look at the difference in results and how much faster you go to the information you needed. Good luck.

Awesome ideas :) Thank you so very much!

I have also heard stray away from the free site places like I am using. I use geocities. Does anybody recomend a good place for this? :confused:

The best possible solution is to get your own webhosted space from a webhosting company such as those available from http://www.hostmysite.com where you can put up anything (except adult material or terrorist type stuff) up to whatever their limit is and move as much data as each plan allows, depending on which one you get. You can go to http://www.webhostingratings.com/hostdir.html to see a list of every single webspace provider and you can compare different plans for yourself.