Mitsubishi Evo IX

Grass is always greener on the other side or something like that. I got buddies here with 9sec to stock evos. The stock ones seem to be like TR's. They are great and reliable until the high 11's. Then sh!t begins to break. All the ones that run 10's and 9 are as high maintenance as a 9-10 sec TR....just a little more $$$ to fix.

they are more fun when you drop the half shafts and lock the centre diff and make them rear drive its the latest craze here in newzealand just the rear diff and cradle dont like it too much but it makes the gearbags last longer LOL

I don't know why there is a bunch of mis info in here, I thought I made myself pretty clear.

An Evo is nothing like 1 1g or 2g DSM, ever. They do not handle nearly as well an dmost of them are beat down **** boxes by now. I have owned a 1g, a 2g and now an Evo and the Evo is by far a superior car, even in stock form it is better then my modded 2g ever dreamed of.

They can handle plenty of boost, I have been as high as 29 on straight 93 with no knock.

The clutch is a 6- 7 hour job if you know what you are doing. I have a twin disk in mine already.

The difference between the MR and the GSR/RS is mainly the interior is leather and a 6 speed transmission vs the 5 for the GSR and the RS. The MR also comes with the Bilstien suspension which I already put it my car, it is a must IMHO. I also upgraded the springs to lower it about 3/4 of an inch and put in progressive springs.

Power is unreal for a 2.0. Mine has 89k miles now and makes a conservative 375 awhp on a Mustang dyno. The tuning potential of the stock ECU is just awesome.

As far as cost, it is all relative. Parts cost more because these are 20 years newer then a TR.

As far as reliability goes, if you use ****ty parts like ebay ****, expect ****ty results. If you look at the guys who build their cars right, they can last a very long time.

Keep calling them ricers though, ignorance is bliss right?

Neat cars but...

I thought the Pontiac Aztec's were ugly, but these..... :eek:
yea, I hear ya. I use to think the same way but considering they are sold world wide and are on their 10th platform and still as popular as they were a 20 years ago they obviously appeal to many more then a TR could ever dream of.

In fact, id say most people think the TR is one of the ugliest cars ever made. atleast thats what many of my female friends have told me.....:rolleyes: its grandpa's grocery getter isnt it?:eek::)

they are more about function then looks but id be willing to bet one could pick up a hot chic a hell of a lot faster then one could in grandpa's Regal...:eek: the TR is definately a better looken car imo tho but thats a pretty small opinion.

yea, I hear ya. I use to think the same way but considering they are sold world wide and are on their 10th platform and still as popular as they were a 20 years ago they obviously appeal to many more then a TR could ever dream of.

In fact, id say most people think the TR is one of the ugliest cars ever made. atleast thats what many of my female friends have told me.....:rolleyes: its grandpa's grocery getter isnt it?:eek::)

they are more about function then looks but id be willing to bet one could pick up a hot chic a hell of a lot faster then one could in grandpa's Regal...:eek: the TR is definately a better looken car imo tho but thats a pretty small opinion.

After the movie (Fast & furious) I think the girls may have changed there mind...;) Atleast the ones I no....:biggrin:

After the movie (Fast & furious) I think the girls may have changed there mind...;) Atleast the ones I no....:biggrin:
never watched that movie. Supra is what id really like and may just hold out for one of those unless a nice TR comes along which appears to be less and less likely these days

what are the differences between a standard GSR and MR? does the MR come with better suspension upgrades? the motors and trannys are the same tho right?

(GSR vs MR) the Bilstein struts and 6 speed were previously mentioned, MR editions were first introduced in 2005, they also featured an aluminum roof, aluminum hood and vortex generators on the roof. They also featured BBS wheels factory and also had the 3 adjustable ACD modes. Interior differences were, shift knob, hand brake and pedals. You can read more about them here.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fun cars, AMS and Buschur Racing are your industry leaders in the EVO world.

In 2006, the Evo 9 came out, they added MIVEC to the 4G63, as well as AYC on the MR. Interior cloth pattern changed and the dash was revised for MRs. Rest was the same. Power was slightly increased for the Evo 9 by virtue of the turbo and MIVEC.
HTH

Patrick

Do the Subaru STIs have the transfer case problem too (or, how often do you change the transfer case oil for STIs)? :confused:

never watched that movie. Supra is what id really like and may just hold out for one of those unless a nice TR comes along which appears to be less and less likely these days

Chow has a Supra with a twin turbo Duttweiler motor, MoTeC...
It is a high dollar piece, but I will ask if you are interested.

In this kind of a car,wouldn't the Subaru WRX be a better buy:rolleyes:

Kevin

I believe that the 5 speed transmissions are stronger than the 6 speed transmissions. The MR is the only one with the 6 spd, the 'base' model and the stripped out RS (lighter body) has the 5 spd.
For price comparison with the TR's:
sheptrans.com/transmissions/evo.htm makes one of the best.

P.S. get the shark fin from the MR and take off the rear wing, aerodynamically better and less attention getting, respectively.

(GSR vs MR) the Bilstein struts and 6 speed were previously mentioned, MR editions were first introduced in 2005, they also featured an aluminum roof, aluminum hood and vortex generators on the roof. They also featured BBS wheels factory and also had the 3 adjustable ACD modes. Interior differences were, shift knob, hand brake and pedals. You can read more about them here.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fun cars, AMS and Buschur Racing are your industry leaders in the EVO world.

In 2006, the Evo 9 came out, they added MIVEC to the 4G63, as well as AYC on the MR. Interior cloth pattern changed and the dash was revised for MRs. Rest was the same. Power was slightly increased for the Evo 9 by virtue of the turbo and MIVEC.
HTH

Patrick

They all have aluminum hoods. Only the MR comes stock with a vortex generator.

The 8 nor the 9 have AYC. However the 10 does. 2005 all models have the ACD - active center diff. If you can find a 7 it will have the ACD and AYC - active yaw control.

I do not know what the differences are for the MR interior, I think it is only red stitching in the seats and a plaque on the center console. There is nothing revised for the dash, they are all the same with the exception the 9, all models, have a black steering wheel and a black piece of trim above the radio.

Power is increased by the MIVEC, yes, but the turbo is slightly bigger housing for the 9 model, which is the common platform used for upgrades. The 9 turbo flows 44 pds per/min compared to the 42-43 in the stock 8 turbo. There are also 2 exhaust housing sizes for the turbo, both are twin scroll. One is a 9cm^2 and the other found in the 05+ is a 10.5^2 which adds a tiny bit of lag but increases HP up top.

Supra is what id really like and may just hold out for one of those unless a nice TR comes along which appears to be less and less likely these days

^This.

Now you're talking Brett. EVOs are awesome cars, but Supras (94-96 TT) are downright legendary IMO. If I could afford a built Supra I wouldn't even think about any other import. Those cars are attention getters! Probably the only car I'll turn around to get a second look at...mostly because I haven't even seen one on the road in years.

^This.

Now you're talking Brett. EVOs are awesome cars, but Supras (94-96 TT) are downright legendary IMO. If I could afford a built Supra I wouldn't even think about any other import. Those cars are attention getters! Probably the only car I'll turn around to get a second look at...mostly because I haven't even seen one on the road in years.
yea, I hear ya. being able to pay for something vs. being able to afford it is what gets people in financial trouble....:cool: cant afford to drop $40-45k on a toy. would sure like to tho....:)

Im really liken the AWD to and they do seem to handle as good as about anything else out there for a reasonable price. I know im gonna spend $25-30k for a decent one. not looken to build anything from scratch.

Im really liken the AWD to and they do seem to handle as good as about anything else out there for a reasonable price. I know im gonna spend $25-30k for a decent one. not looken to build anything from scratch.

All that to go 0-55 and not break traction;) Must suck being a cop:biggrin::biggrin: J/k!

There are both rice:biggrin: but I like the Supra much better than the Evo...

All that to go 0-55 and not break traction;) Must suck being a cop:biggrin::biggrin: J/k!

There are both rice:biggrin: but I like the Supra much better than the Evo...
me 2. just dont like the price of the supra. although I have been looken and they have come down considerably from wat they were a couple years ago

me 2. just dont like the price of the supra. although I have been looken and they have come down considerably from wat they were a couple years ago

There ya go then!

Funny - after I posted about not having seen one in years, I saw a lowered, tinted, black MKIV Supra on the freeway today as I was exiting. Damn near broke my neck :tongue: