Mitsubishi Evo IX

Brett, I still have the idea of the 2jzgte swap tumbling in my head...what about u???? :eek::biggrin:

Why don't you build the EVO equivalent of your Blue T? :biggrin:
maybe I will.:) or maybe ill just buy one already done. the nice ones dont seem to last very long when posted for sale tho. I got my eye on a couple locally as well as a couple on the other side of the country.

just trying to learn a little more about them. there doesnt seem to be too many complaints about their reliability. people either love em or hate em. similar to the TR I guess. nothen looks as good as a TR imo tho.

they will cost just as much if not more to properly build then a TR. nothing fast and reliable is cheap. fast-cheap-reliable=oxymoron

maybe I will.:) or maybe ill just buy one already done. the nice ones dont seem to last very long when posted for sale tho. I got my eye on a couple locally as well as a couple on the other side of the country.

just trying to learn a little more about them. there doesnt seem to be too many complaints about their reliability. people either love em or hate em. similar to the TR I guess. nothen looks as good as a TR imo tho.

they will cost just as much if not more to properly build then a TR. nothing fast and reliable is cheap. fast-cheap-reliable=oxymoron

Yeah I see a lot of parallels between TR/GNs, EVOs, and MKIV Supras, and I'm sure a handful of other cars. When built, those cars are for the guys who are SERIOUS about handing others their asses :)

I definitely like the TR image more than those other cars though. I didn't get my GN cause of speed (it is fast tho) I got it cause of the badassness, lol. Performance is great, but even if imports can beat your Turbo Regal, you still look like way more of an old-school hardass driving one IMO :cool:

Then again I'm new to the TR thing and you've been there done that, I hear you on getting bored quickly with things.

One thing is for sure, you'll end up with a badass EVO...you don't strike me as one who cuts corners after that last car (that thing was wicked) so buy one already and post pics!

are u implying the 109 does at even 25 psi? its lucky to last months not years

Stop down at "The Shop" and see all the Evo's outside waiting on motors.
Just like the Buick world, you won't find many people posting about engines coming apart.

Brett needs to stop dicking around with this Evo idea and buy an E55.
I was looken around actually for one just to see what they are goin for but the low mile ones still pull strong money. that is one hellova a car and those seats have to be the most comfortable ive ever sat in. aint cheap to fix tho but wat is?

I want a bullet proof 4 cyl that will take 30-40psi for years without breaking. Maybe I should ask the OP for some tips. Last I knew he couldn't change a spark plug :rolleyes:

Former owner of a '05 EVO 8 MR...

Bought mine in Jan 2005.
If you want a smoother riding version, get an MR version, it came factory with Bilstein shocks, which ride alot smoother. The Recaro seats that are factory are not meant for comfort. I owned mine for a little over 2 years before I sold it.

DSC00276.jpg

DSC00408.jpg

DSC00291.jpg

With the little bit I spent on my car, it would run consistent 12.40's - 12.50's @ 111-114 depending on weather on straight 101 octane unleaded. Parts were mainly from AMS. AMS air filter kit, boost controller, cat back exhaust, lower IC pipe, Super AFSC II fuel computer with Skunk2 harness, tuned by Martin at AMS, Japan spec OEM blow off valve, Perrin upper IC hose. That was it. Boost would typically be in the 20-22psi range.

Here is the biggest kicker about all EVOs. (Evo 8 & 9 models) It is very important that you change the transfer case fluid every 5k miles on any of them. If not, you could experience the dreaded T-case whine. A new T-case is/was $8,500.00 from Mitsu back in 2007. Rebuilds are slightly less. My owners manual stated to change the T-case fluid at 30k miles. Where as OE Japan manuals state otherwise. If you are looking at a used EVO 8 or 9, it would be mandatory that the fluid was changed before 30k miles if I were buying it. There is a whine that they make that is unmistakable. Once it starts, there's nothing short of a rebuild or replace that can stop it.

On the other hand, the cars are frickin monsters. They handle better than almost every sports car out there. Grip like super glue and can be built to run very fast. But they are pricey to hot rod if you're wanting to run faster than high 10's.

I really enjoyed mine, and if the T-case hadn't started it's death whine, I would still own it today.

Just my O2's worth.

Patrick

are u implying the 109 does at even 25 psi? its lucky to last months not years

we have one of Melissa's motors sitting on an engine stand.. has over 20k+ on it an never missed a beat. BUT to make em live ya have to run a chip and not all the cool guy parts :eek::p . Mazda is sitting here waiting to get its heart back :p
Back to the thread there are some fast ricers out there .. Pretty wild !!:cool:

I want a bullet proof 4 cyl that will take 30-40psi for years without breaking. Maybe I should ask the OP for some tips. Last I knew he couldn't change a spark plug :rolleyes:
this coming from sir-meltalot who has never gone 9 seconds and melted 3 motors in 3 months last summer cause he THOUGHT he could build his own motors and tune his own XFI. Stick to ur theroies and leave the engine building and tuning to the Pro's like Otto.

this coming from sir-meltalot who has never gone 9 seconds and melted 3 motors in 3 months last summer cause he THOUGHT he could build his own motors and tune his own XFI. Stick to ur theroies and leave the engine building and tuning to the Pro's like Otto.
I know I can tune my own xfi *******. 3 engines in 3 months? Your full of chit. I'll race you anytime *******. Keep reading your Internet stories. You seem to have all the angles. Otto never melted anything. youre correct there. Why did you sell your last car? I'm disappointed I didn't get to whip your ass. You would have gotten beaten like a red headed step child. I break **** cause i push it to the limit. You don't get anywhere by being a wannabe like yourself and make up excuses for selling every car you buy after you waste thousands modifying it. Your afraid of under performing or getting whipped. Go build another car with xfi and actually run it. I'll go back to a chip with MAF and still fvck you up. Whenever your ready. One thing that is not a theory is that you're the biggest wannabe racer/post whore on this entire forum. Stick to the political forum where you fit in dick beater.

I know I can tune my own xfi *******. 3 engines in 3 months? Your full of chit. I'll race you anytime *******. Keep reading your Internet stories. You seem to have all the angles. Otto never melted anything. youre correct there. Why did you sell your last car? I'm disappointed I didn't get to whip your ass. You would have gotten beaten like a red headed step child. I break **** cause i push it to the limit. You don't get anywhere by being a wannabe like yourself and make up excuses for selling every car you buy after you waste thousands modifying it. Your afraid of under performing or getting whipped. Go build another car with xfi and actually run it. I'll go back to a chip with MAF and still fvck you up. Whenever your ready. One thing that is not a theory is that you're the biggest wannabe racer/post whore on this entire forum. Stick to the political forum where you fit in dick beater.
talk is cheap sir-meltalot.... u do a lot of talking and little proving. theroies dont get it done, proven track times do. maybe we can race soon if I buy something but at the rate urs breaks it will be a short window of time.:rolleyes: and no u cant tune ur own XFI. Otto tunes ur XFI after you blow it up and need guidance. lets be real here.

Bought mine in Jan 2005.
If you want a smoother riding version, get an MR version, it came factory with Bilstein shocks, which ride alot smoother. The Recaro seats that are factory are not meant for comfort. I owned mine for a little over 2 years before I sold it.

DSC00276.jpg

DSC00408.jpg

DSC00291.jpg

With the little bit I spent on my car, it would run consistent 12.40's - 12.50's @ 111-114 depending on weather on straight 101 octane unleaded. Parts were mainly from AMS. AMS air filter kit, boost controller, cat back exhaust, lower IC pipe, Super AFSC II fuel computer with Skunk2 harness, tuned by Martin at AMS, Japan spec OEM blow off valve, Perrin upper IC hose. That was it. Boost would typically be in the 20-22psi range.

Here is the biggest kicker about all EVOs. (Evo 8 & 9 models) It is very important that you change the transfer case fluid every 5k miles on any of them. If not, you could experience the dreaded T-case whine. A new T-case is/was $8,500.00 from Mitsu back in 2007. Rebuilds are slightly less. My owners manual stated to change the T-case fluid at 30k miles. Where as OE Japan manuals state otherwise. If you are looking at a used EVO 8 or 9, it would be mandatory that the fluid was changed before 30k miles if I were buying it. There is a whine that they make that is unmistakable. Once it starts, there's nothing short of a rebuild or replace that can stop it.

On the other hand, the cars are frickin monsters. They handle better than almost every sports car out there. Grip like super glue and can be built to run very fast. But they are pricey to hot rod if you're wanting to run faster than high 10's.

I really enjoyed mine, and if the T-case hadn't started it's death whine, I would still own it today.

Just my O2's worth.

Patrick
Patrick what did you do for suspension mods?

Completely stock suspension except for brake pads and tires.
;)

Excellent ride vs a standard GSR EVO 8 or 9.

Patrick