Mitsubishi Evo IX

I seen on the forums that they weigh in about 3100 lbs. with lighter wheels, hood and trunk lid. a 3100 lb TR would be a gutted shell. im not so sure about being cheaper to modify tho.

I seen a couple on the Mits forum and a Carbonetic triple-disc clutch clutch alone is $3k:eek:. Coilovers are between $2-3k. tranny upgrades, turbo, FMIC, alky, boost controllers, waste gates, pistons, rods, etc..... all the same crap u need in a TR to go fast.

I think if one decides to heavily modify one ur gonna be spending as much as one would modifying a TR. BUT, it will likely hold its value much better and be much easier to sell if u get bored with it and considering they are AWD and a rally car like u said so they can be used in the snow as well I guess.

What I meant by cheap to mod is similar to how TR's are cheap to mod...to a point. You know, you have a factory car that with a handful of parts and some tweaking will beat most of the stuff out there...of course once youre past the basics, you start spending megabucks. That said, I would expect nothing less of from you after that monster TR you built :eek:

BTW, X2 on a built Supra. I LOVE LOVE LOVE those cars. All time favorite import hands down! I too don't hate on imports "'cause they're imports", I like a good-looking fast car period - my preference just happens to be 90% American cars. The Germans can really build 'em too ;)

EVO X IS the TT Supra for our generation. With that, let the flaming begin :biggrin:

I dont care for the looks of the EVO, ..But, they're badass cars from a performance standpoint. Its a shame more middle-age/muscle-car guys dont except them.

Evo's are very durable if taken care of. They can take a bunch of mods with out question and the factory ECU is simply amazing.

I have converted mine from a mass air flow system to a speed density setup using stock components as well. Works like a dream. Launch control, no lift to shift, load scaling, injector scaling is very easy to do.

As far as ride quality goes, that is personal preference. I have Bilstein shocks from the EVO MR and upgraded the the springs to Swift Sportlines. Lowers the car maybe 3/4 of an inch but the handling is insane. Right out of the box the EVO will do .92g on the skid pad.

As for power, I have upgraded turbo, large cams and huge front mount intercooler with a 3" quiet exhaust, coil on plug ignition and a twin disk clutch. ECU controlled boost that is gear dependent too.

The car just flat out halls ass, no question about it. Turns on a dime and with the factory 4 piston front 2 piston rear Brembo brakes, 13.1 inch rotors up front the car stops - very well.

People can call this car a ricer, but it is usually just ignorant people who do. It is a purpose built car and they ran 13.0 stock in the quarter.

I went for a ride in one at an autocross one time that was pushing about 400 horse. The owners claimed they got the car under 3000 lbs, they had plastic Windows and that kind of weight reduction stuff going on. We pulled onto course and he nailed it, I was shocked at how fast that thing was. Granted that is not a street car, but I have driven a few Evo 8's hat friends had that were stock to lightly modified. I'd buy one!

their blocks seem to hold quite a bit of power and guys run big boost with these which I guess u have to to make any good power only being a 4 banger.

if I could afford a well built Supra at $50k id buy one in a heartbeat.:cool:

Brett, EVOs rock whether we like'em or not, period. Built to built comparison they make more power than a 109 could ever dream of, with a smaller engine too. Supras are king, darn expensive, but again with a smaller engine. :rolleyes: 109's suck they're a freaking money pit, unreliable at very high hp. When my TR is done (if ever) I'll sell it or part it!! Move on to an import (EVO or Supra). I've made some very good friends with some local TR guys so I'll continue to hang out with them, but I'll just be able to beat them with a smaller engine, they hate when I say that! :biggrin: 109's suck! Sometimes in life u just gotta move on! Go for it!

Evo VI T.M.E. was my favorite. A buddy of mine used to have a black one with the white wheels and it ran low 11's all day. This was in 2002 i remember it quite vividly, it was a year after building seven imploded into itself perfectly without being hit by a plane at nearly free fall speed. But ANY fixed up evo is a force to be recon with! But really nice ones are expensive, tight working engine compartments, but really nice interior and available customization pieces compared to many cars out there, they just cost alot of cash. I would never, the cost alone makes the ride or power or kills not worth it to me.

if you want EVO fun but not pay EVO prices, just go get a GTX Eclipse. Those are scary fun when you start to mod them. An GTX (awd) eclipse which ran 10's was the first ricer ever to completely destroy me on the road. We raced from a light and I had him until 60, which then he blew by me like I was standing still, we pulled over and became friends to this day! He has showed me alot about Jap cars, got to ride in many a Jap. tuned cars because of this cat.

thats my 2 cents

All I know is book time calls for something around twelve hours to change the clutch. That would be enough to scare me off. Would love to take one out and beat the p!ss out of it. Would make a fun DD though.

Would make a fun DD though.

AGREED. I'd rather have a muscle car to mod/race/tinker with, and zip around town in an EVO on lease payments!

Of course, that's if you have the discipline to NOT mod it...which anyone around obviously lacks :biggrin:

thanx for the responses. keep em coming. really appreciate it. u guys make a lot of sense and have pointed out many pros and cons I didnt even think of.

really leaning towards one as they seem to be quite reliable and lets face it they have had 10 platforms to get it right and seem to improve on each one. im kinda partial to the Evo 9's but like most all of them actually.

they seem to be like TR's meaning, they are either fairly slow or very fast.

love TR's and always will but life is too short and want to experience something different. since ive been able to afford nice cars I had nothing but TR's. I dont keep toys very long anyway and get bored fast. TR's just seem to be one constant PITA and seem to break more often then the drive if u want to make considerable HP.

nothen will get the attention that a GN will tho imo on the street. Evo's seem to be very desirable by many but usually the younger crowd.

I knew nothing about them untill around Xmas time when a friend of mine turned me onto them. he is a turbo mustang guy and has been as long as I know him and is in his late 30's and bought and modified an Evo 9 and it put down 750 awhp. not too shabby....

We had a new EVO 8 when they came out. I really liked it a lot, was just a blast to drive, especially through the twisties. Really kind of miss it and would like to have a sporty AWD car again.

now I see why they are so popular when modded. those videos just may have sold me on an Evo. wasnt aware rally cars had to be 2.0 liters. cant believe how well that car handles. I guess the AWD helps a lot.

The AWD is awesome. You just floor it and steer where you want the car to go :D

Had to LOL at this thread a bit...

Myself and 3 friends own 4g63 powered cars.

The EVO IX is amazing. There is no other way to put it.
My friend has a 06 Evo IX MR that has just a tad over 10k miles on it.

Comfortable, Handles Great, Tons of Power, etc
MR's came with "nicer" interiors, a 6-Speed and a few other fancy bits.
They make around 280hp stock. But like all 4g63's, a bit of tuning and tweaking, it gets bumped up fast.

They handle better than anything I have ever been in.
Very precise and its not twitchy.

Here is a pic someone took at a show last year.
Photo1099.jpg

If you want EVO power and handling, you could always skip the looks and comfort, and pick up a DSM.

(My 1g DSM)
Photo1113.jpg

Nearly identical engine.
Nearly identical suspension.
Nearly the same weight.
And... Available in FWD, AWD and Auto or 5-Speed Manual. (The Auto's are VERY robust)

Mine has a Bullseye S256 Turbo, Denso 660cc Injectors, 272 Cams, etc
Makes right around 400whp.
Bottom end is completely stock. 6-Bolt's are good for around 600hp on the stock internals.

If you have any questions, just shoot away.

Whats the fluid change intervals on the fluids? Just curious

Full synthetic, so 3-5k on oil changes. Depends how you drive.
Unsure about the rear diff, transfer case or manual trans fluid. I'll ask my friends tomorrow and see what they say.

I've heard the local guys say what makes them fast is the big wings on the rear decklids and the roof wings
nengun-2814-00-esprit-dry_carbon_wing_-_evo_x.png

or when they are being pushed by a WRX STI.:D

I've heard the local guys say what makes them fast is the big wings on the rear decklids and the roof wings
nengun-2814-00-esprit-dry_carbon_wing_-_evo_x.png

or when they are being pushed by a WRX STI.:D
that looks gay! but, ill bet most of em are faster then ur GN....:eek:

TR's just seem to be one constant PITA and seem to break more often then the drive if u want to make considerable HP.

Amen brother...so true!! :cool:

a friend of mine turned me onto them. he is a turbo mustang guy and has been as long as I know him and is in his late 30's and bought and modified an Evo 9 and it put down 750 awhp. not too shabby....

Try that with a 109 :rolleyes:...it'll set u back more than $12k eeeasy!!!, on motor alone. :mad: