Metal Heater Control Valve (vs POS plastic)

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
Bout a year ago, I replaced my old stock heater control valve. It was a nice metal piece, but was stuck closed. At the auto parts store, they gave me a plastic valve, that looked completely different. When I asked 'em about it, the old guy behind the counter said noone makes the older style metal ones anymore, but that the plastic ones are functionally the same, etc. etc. I wasn;t to sure how long it'd last sitting 2 inches away from the turbo and downpipe, and turns out its about a year. Last weekend, the valve started leaking ALL over the place, can;t keep water in the motor for more than a few minutes.

My question is: has anyone had this same problem with the plastic heater control valves, and if so, what was your solution? does anyone still sell/make the original metal style? Do any of you guys have a spare one sitting around I could buy for a few bucks? It's not a huge pain in the ass to change out a new one every year or so, but for peace of mind, it'd be nice to know I have one that wont crap out at the worst time. Thanks guys!

I've had one of those new plastic one's on for a couple of years now without any issues (got the same story you did when I went to the parts store for another one).

I got the ACDelco Part # 15-5221 one. Old Buicks Parts list the original metal one. I also saw it a couple of other places on-line but memory fails me.

MorbiD