Heater valve DIY

GregorE

hi everyone!
The pre-owner of my Regal had the heater valve replaced with one of these ugly black plastic ones from China.
Everybody knows that the original heater valve withe the ACD No. 15-5320 (GM 25523118) for our Buicks is no longer available, on ebay you find a very used looking one for 100 $ and two NOS for 300 $ and up. No realistic offers, at least not for me. So I decided to bulid my own stock-looking valve and I'd like to share this with you.
First I bought (about 40 $) an ACDelco Valve ACD No. 15-5302 which seems to have the same vacuum unit like the original one (see pictures 1 & 2). These units are still relatively easy to find on the www.
In addition I bought a cheap manual valve (about 15 $) I found on amazon which seemed to have the correct dimensions and lower tube section (see picture 3).
After disassemling both valves which is pretty easy (see picture 4), I had to widen the hole in the plate of the vaccum unit of the ACDelco valve a bit in order to make the actual cylindrical valve turn freely (see picture 5).
Drilling a hole for a screw into the axis of the cylindrical part (see picture 6) was a real pain in the a**, finding a short screw that fits this hole wasn't easy. If you have one, use a thread cutter to cut a thread into the wall of this hole, otherwise it will be difficult to get the screw in, the metal is really hard!
The most difficult part to get the cylinder in the right position before screwing it to the small lever. I had to grind off the upper rounded part of the centre unit to make the hole of the lever fit firmly. If you leave this part out the valve untit won't turn when the lever moves. (It's a bit complicated to describe this step here. If you try to build your own heater valve you'll find out what I mean.)
In the end all parts were ready to be assembled. Make sure the gasket is installed correctly and the small tabs are firmly attached.
I tested if the valve by filling it with hot water and plugging it at both ends. No leaks! :)
To protect the valve from corrosion (it suffered some scratches in the anodized surface when working on it) I added some clear coat on the damaged areas.

Alltogether I paid about 55 $ and invested one hour of work to get an almost stock looking, original and working heater valve.

IMG_0295.jpg
IMG_0296.jpg
IMG_0297.jpg
IMG_0298.jpg
IMG_0300.jpg
IMG_0301.jpg
IMG_0302.jpg
IMG_0304.jpg
IMG_0305.jpg

Last edited:
very nicely done. I can appreciate the effort to think outside of the box to create a solution. Thank-you for making the time to share your research and efforts. Welcome to the forum GregorE.

hi everyone!
The pre-owner of my Regal had the heater valve replaced with one of these ugly black plastic ones from China.
Everybody knows that the original heater valve withe the ACD No. 15-5320 (GM 25523118) for our Buicks is no longer available, on ebay you find a very used looking one for 100 $ and two NOS for 300 $ and up. No realistic offers, at least not for me. So I decided to bulid my own stock-looking valve and I'd like to share this with you.
First I bought (about 40 $) an ACDelco Valve ACD No. 15-5302 which seems to have the same vacuum unit like the original one (see pictures 1 & 2). These units are still relatively easy to find on the www.
In addition I bought a cheap manual valve (about 15 $) I found on amazon which seemed to have the correct dimensions and lower tube section (see picture 3).
After disassemling both valves which is pretty easy (see picture 4), I had to widen the hole in the plate of the vaccum unit of the ACDelco valve a bit in order to make the actual cylindrical valve turn freely (see picture 5).
Drilling a hole for a screw into the axis of the cylindrical part (see picture 6) was a real pain in the a**, finding a short screw that fits this hole wasn't easy. If you have one, use a thread cutter to cut a thread into the wall of this hole, otherwise it will be difficult to get the screw in, the metal is really hard!
The most difficult part to get the cylinder in the right position before screwing it to the small lever. I had to grind off the upper rounded part of the centre unit to make the hole of the lever fit firmly. If you leave this part out the valve untit won't turn when the lever moves. (It's a bit complicated to describe this step here. If you try to build your own heater valve you'll find out what I mean.)
In the end all parts were ready to be assembled. Make sure the gasket is installed correctly and the small tabs are firmly attached.
I tested if the valve by filling it with hot water and plugging it at both ends. No leaks! :)
To protect the valve from corrosion (it suffered some scratches in the anodized surface when working on it) I added some clear coat on the damaged areas.

Alltogether I paid about 55 $ and invested one hour of work to get an almost stock looking, original and working heater valve.

View attachment 393288View attachment 393289View attachment 393290View attachment 393291View attachment 393292View attachment 393293View attachment 393294View attachment 393295View attachment 393296
Terrific job! I was just looking into doing something similar to this, well I need to replace mine and I do not like the aftermarket heater control valve. I just so happened to search on valve covers and a link to this thread popped up. Good stuff and thank you for providing the details.

Well as it turns out, I found my original water flow control valve. Of course it has an issue with it though. Thanks to this DIY though, I should be able to repair it.

The only issue besides some rust needing to be from the removed valve tube, the valve appears to not be opening and closing with the actuation of the lever. This is caused because the screw is loose and for some reason it does not want to tighten.