Alternative to GM 25523118 / ACD 15-5320 OEM Heater Control Valve...here ya go

Anthony P

sharing knowledge with those who care to listen
The OEM all metal (cad or yellow zinc plated) valve was discontinued in 2014 or early 2015. There was enough inventory available that anyone who wanted one could buy as many as wanted pretty inexpensively up until the past year or so.

I've noticed in the past year or so that the available supply from Amazon and the Buick vendors has nearly dried up. So much so that partsplace Jo has them on ebay for $300 each.

even a crappy looking, rusted but functional (for now) control valve has an asking price of $100.

So, I thought I'd share that there is an excellent alternative if you don't need the OE unit for a concours restoration OR don't want the f*ugly black plastic big control valve found via y,m,m lookup BUT WANT A SOLUTION THAT LOOKS MORE LIKE OE.

Well, it exists. And it costs less than a pizza from your favorite shop. I thought folks knew about this but after reading different recent threads here and on the f*book groups, apparently not.

why buy this...
1669927286023.png

when you can buy this...
1669927367145.png

same 5/8" hose connection like OE and it's normally open without vacuum. For $7 to $13, you'll get a more OE looking control valve.
It's from Universal Air Conditioner, Inc. PART # HV1022C

it's from Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda applications, mid-1990s to mid-2000s. see the rockauto link for specific F, L, M, M application details. Now to convince the Buick vendors, LOL.

Find this HV1022C control valve via the links below...

Also know there is an identical looking NORMALLY CLOSED version of this control valve. YOU DO NOT WANT THAT VALVE. Don't make a mistake by acting on the F*book group discussions stating to buy the normally closed UAC HV1021C. they are just wrong. you need a normally open heater control valve for our cars.

I'll be kind as it appears you're still learning.

black plastic valve was never an original equipment item.

this thread is posted in the show car and restoration section. no one doing such would use that black plastic valve as it's fugly. functional but fugly.

the factory heater control valve on the car, as built by GM, is referenced by the part #'s in the title of this thread.

black plastic valve is what comes up via year, make, model search done anywhere. nothing to find.

yes, the black plastic heater control valve will function as it should. to me, and many, it looks cheap and out of place under the hood of the turbo Buicks.

hence the suggestion of the less than $10 heater control valve I noted above that looks strikingly similar to the OEM part. This item does not come up in a year, make model search. only by hose size and normally open state. Once installed, only the cad yellow or yellow zinc plated metal body shows and most (who would comment, "Nice Monte, man!") would not be able to tell the difference between this part and the factory part.

AC Delco does not make anything. AC Delco is a re-seller of parts that have been specifically packaged in AC Delco marked packaging.

That black plastic heater control valve is packaged for many other brands like Four Seasons and GPD and the brick and mortar auto parts store brands.

of course, your choice how you spend your money and what you buy. I have no idea why anyone would choose that fugly black plastic heater valve. You're in southern CA, so I'm not sure why the concern about rust. heck, you could buy two of the metal one's I noted for basically the cost of the fugly black plastic version.

Take a moment to do an internet search of the part #'s in the title. look at the pictures of the original equipment part. then ask yourself if you really want to install the black plastic one. folks only used the black plastic one as that's all they knew was available from year, make, model lookup.

Last edited:
I'll be kind as it appears you're still learning.

black plastic valve was never an original equipment item.

this thread is posted in the show car and restoration section. no one doing such would use that black plastic valve as it's fugly. functional but fugly.

the factory heater control valve on the car, as built by GM, is referenced by the part #'s in the title of this thread.

black plastic valve is what comes up via year, make, model search done anywhere. nothing to find.

yes, the black plastic heater control valve will function as it should. to me, and many, it looks cheap and out of place under the hood of the turbo Buicks.

hence the suggestion of the less than $10 heater control valve I noted above that looks strikingly similar to the OEM part. This item does not come up in a year, make model search. only by hose size and normally open state. Once installed, only the cad yellow or yellow zinc plated metal body shows and most (who would comment, "Nice Monte, man!") would not be able to tell the difference between this part and the factory part.

AC Delco does not make anything. AC Delco is a re-seller of parts that have been specifically packaged in AC Delco marked packaging.

That black plastic heater control valve is packaged for many other brands like Four Seasons and GPD and the brick and mortar auto parts store brands.

of course, your choice how you spend your money and what you buy. I have no idea why anyone would choose that fugly black plastic heater valve. You're in southern CA, so I'm not sure why the concern about rust. heck, you could buy two of the metal one's I noted for basically the cost of the fugly black plastic version.

Take a moment to do an internet search of the part #'s in the title. look at the pictures of the original equipment part. then ask yourself if you really want to install the black plastic one. folks only used the black plastic one as that's all they knew was available from year, make, model lookup.
Thank for sharing, I learned. Very easy to understand your post.

HV1021C has been ordered. Black plastic one going in the trash bin.

try to cancel your order for HV1021C. that's the normally CLOSED valve.

our car's system uses a normally open valve. you want the HV1022C - the normally open version.

link from post 1 => https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Air-Conditioner-HV-1022C/dp/B003R33QZS

now, when you talk with other turbo buick folks at gatherings and whatnot, be sure to spread the word about not having to spend $300+ on the OE GM 25523118 / ACD 15-5320 heater control valve if they are not doing a concours restoration. there's one available from Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda applications, mid-1990s to mid-2000s that looks strikingly similar to the OE and it's about $10....Universal Air Conditioner, Inc. PART # HV1022C;)

try to cancel your order for HV1021C. that's the normally CLOSED valve.

our car's system uses a normally open valve. you want the HV1022C - the normally open version.

link from post 1 => https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Air-Conditioner-HV-1022C/dp/B003R33QZS

now, when you talk with other turbo buick folks at gatherings and whatnot, be sure to spread the word about not having to spend $300+ on the OE GM 25523118 / ACD 15-5320 heater control valve if they are not doing a concours restoration. there's one available from Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda applications, mid-1990s to mid-2000s that looks strikingly similar to the OE and it's about $10....Universal Air Conditioner, Inc. PART # HV1022C;)
Easy to cancel via amazon. Ordered the right one #HV1022C

THANK you for letting me know and educating me on the proper valve to use!

I'm glad you've got this resolved. I believe you'll be happy with that HV1022C valve.

sometimes there are parts for which we have to pay top dollar as there is no alternative. Other times, there are finds and discoveries to be had if only more folks knew about them. If only our reverved turbo Buick vendors would accept suggestions to carry these discovered parts to help spread the word. But they're not open to suggestions.

there's a whole new generation of folks, regardless of age, discovering these turbo Buicks and purchasing them for the first time. the rest of the turbo Buick community has been at this since the cars were built and are like the two curmudgeon Muppets in the balcony. Folks may have a time capsule purchase or one that's had a lot of hackery done to it over the past 36+ years. If we don't share what we've learned, the hobby will die out as there is not another generation to garner interest and glean knowledge from those who have already been there and done that.