Heater Control Valve (Metal vs. Plastic?)

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
Bout a year ago, I replaced my old stock heater control valve. It was a nice metal piece, but was stuck closed. At the auto parts store, they gave me a plastic valve, that looked completely different. When I asked 'em about it, the old guy behind the counter said noone makes the older style metal ones anymore, but that the plastic ones are functionally the same, etc. etc. On the hotair cars like mine, the valve sits along the back firewall, with only about 2 inches and a thin heatdhield between it and the turbo. I wondered how long a plstic one would last back there, and turns out its about 1 year. Last weekend, the valve started leaking ALL over the place, can;t keep water in the motor for more than a few minutes.

My question is: has anyone had this same problem with the plastic heater control valves, and if so, what was your solution? does anyone still sell/make the original metal style? Do any of you guys have a spare one sitting around I could buy for a few bucks? It's not a huge pain in the ass to change out a new one every year or so, but for peace of mind, it'd be nice to know I have one that wont crap out at the worst time. Thanks guys!

Just buy some fiberglass heat wrap, that you can get at most speed shops, and wrap it around that valve with some hose clamps or wire. Mine doesnt sit anywhere near a header. Mine is cracked and pitted and leaking everywhere right now. Its an old metal one. Thanks for reminding me.