Meet the new 3.8

jeezus i would take it if i have the money right now; since I've already some ofthe tools and will do all the important crap LOL :D (on the other hand, I dont exactly have a good place to put the car...unless i can convince the parents to sacrifice one of their garage spots)

400 bones and I dont know, he might try to get a friend discount, but the car is worth more with the original motor. if i were to sell it, probably 500 bucks.

jeezus i would take it if i have the money right now; since I've already some ofthe tools and will do all the important crap LOL :D (on the other hand, I dont exactly have a good place to put the car...unless i can convince the parents to sacrifice one of their garage spots)

i take it that he is your friend. right or wrong? btw i will send out the directions for the blowthru stuff as soon as i can.

725c51d2-d5ed-41ee-bbae-960c2cf9357f.jpg

lol i aint ever offered him anything before till now. lol. :D a different friend did ;) :redface:
I was under the impression he isnt selling the 83 TR yet :)

400 bones and I dont know, he might try to get a friend discount, but the car is worth more with the original motor. if i were to sell it, probably 500 bucks.

Keep the engine for now kid. It has the right crank and you may need it if you can't find the correct one. Hopefully you can and at a resonable price but they're getting harder to find now.

For 400 bucks you could have bought an entire rebuild kit and then some. Geez, what a waste of money. You could have got the same thing from a u pull it for 100 bucks and you would have got more parts. Make sure you take the heads to a machine shop and get them checked out before you get to that point and make sure they don't need any work. You could have bought that entire 82 motor for 250 and paid to have it shipped. You would have been way ahead with 90 percent of the parts on it and ARP fasteners which will be 100 bucks alone

For 400 bucks you could have bought an entire rebuild kit and then some. Geez, what a waste of money. You could have got the same thing from a u pull it for 100 bucks and you would have got more parts. Make sure you take the heads to a machine shop and get them checked out before you get to that point and make sure they don't need any work. You could have bought that entire 82 motor for 250 and paid to have it shipped. You would have been way ahead with 90 percent of the parts on it and ARP fasteners which will be 100 bucks alone

look, out here in washington, finding a 78 buick 3.8 N/A motor is damn near impossible. the buick motors out here are hard to find. NONE of the local pull-a-parts have buick 3.8s or 4.1's. All we got are about a million 3800's and s-10's floating around at the local junkyards. The fact that i found a turbo 3.8 block from a fellow member was a miracle. Check my areas craigslist, you wont find a 3.8. The motor in my car is in worse shape than the new motor I just bought... trust me on that one. I got a good replacement IMO and im sticking with it....

how far were you willing to drive?

i bet you could have found a good one in portland! or out east in Spokane...

look, out here in washington, finding a 78 buick 3.8 N/A motor is damn near impossible. the buick motors out here are hard to find. NONE of the local pull-a-parts have buick 3.8s or 4.1's. All we got are about a million 3800's and s-10's floating around at the local junkyards. The fact that i found a turbo 3.8 block from a fellow member was a miracle. Check my areas craigslist, you wont find a 3.8. The motor in my car is in worse shape than the new motor I just bought... trust me on that one. I got a good replacement IMO and im sticking with it....

Your motor can't be in worse shape since its in the car, it doesn't knock and its COMPLETE. I would have just pulled yours and do an el cheapo rebuild (minimal machine work as possible) and toss it back in. I would still do this, and sell everything off. You should be able to get your money back easily or even make a few bucks

Your motor can't be in worse shape since its in the car, it doesn't knock and its COMPLETE. I would have just pulled yours and do an el cheapo rebuild (minimal machine work as possible) and toss it back in. I would still do this, and sell everything off. You should be able to get your money back easily or even make a few bucks

hmm i could.....

X2
hmm i could.....

i would if i was you.

I think the point being Kid,

is that you can barely work on your car now.

and your pushing to assemble an entire turbo motor?

your WAY out of your league.

point being, you would have never made enough power to even kill an NA assembly. you dont need ARP anything, You dont need forged anything, you dont need a specific turbo block or crank. NA internals (short of pistons) have all been well proven into the low 11 sec range.

your pulling the classic magazine move and your eyes are eating what your stomach cant.

you need to smarten up and see it for what it is.

you do not have time to assemble. you have never assembled before. you dont know what your looking for or what you should get.

stop now and continue looking.

you pass up another deal like that 4.1 for a pile of crap that needs to be assembled and I would say 90% of the members here are going to stop talking and or helping you. your on the verge of being banished and brandished an idiot.

your not making smart choices Kid,

Listin to what were telling you.

A.j.

I think the point being Kid,

is that you can barely work on your car now.

and your pushing to assemble an entire turbo motor?

your WAY out of your league.

point being, you would have never made enough power to even kill an NA assembly. you dont need ARP anything, You dont need forged anything, you dont need a specific turbo block or crank. NA internals (short of pistons) have all been well proven into the low 11 sec range.

your pulling the classic magazine move and your eyes are eating what your stomach cant.

you need to smarten up and see it for what it is.

you do not have time to assemble. you have never assembled before. you dont know what your looking for or what you should get.

stop now and continue looking.

you pass up another deal like that 4.1 for a pile of crap that needs to be assembled and I would say 90% of the members here are going to stop talking and or helping you. your on the verge of being banished and brandished an idiot.

your not making smart choices Kid,

Listin to what were telling you.

A.j.

well i got some offers on the 3.8 that im gonna consider. Like i said before, the price in the 4.1 was a typo, he wanted 1600 for the motor. i got the motor to basically swap parts from my current. As for being an idiot, were waaay past that point brougham. I havent seen a 4.1 for YEARS around here Aj that has been for sale. Then again, thanks for the reality chech:eek:

**SLAP**

well i got some offers on the 3.8 that im gonna consider. Like i said before, the price in the 4.1 was a typo, he wanted 1600 for the motor. i got the motor to basically swap parts from my current. As for being an idiot, were waaay past that point brougham. I havent seen a 4.1 for YEARS around here Aj that has been for sale. Then again, thanks for the reality chech:eek:

**SLAP**

if you cant pay $1600 for the 4.1 how are you going to pay for the motor you. the motor you want to build is going to cost you more than $1600.

if you cant pay $1600 for the 4.1 how are you going to pay for the motor you. the motor you want to build is going to cost you more than $1600.

im going to swap parts from my current motor to the new one until i have the place and funds to go BT with the motor.

**SLAP**

The fact of the matter is that you're new to this and have "stars" in your eyes. Even a mild 350 to build from scratch will cost you as much as that running 4.1. Believe me, I'm particular about who does my machine work and I do the assembly. The last Buick V6 I did was in the early/mid 80's and I think I spent around 3K then so this should give you some perspective of what it costs to do it right, now.:redface:

Gotta agree with you Matt. Get the engine from Aj for now and remember this one little phrase. Anyone that's spent time in the military knows this word well.:biggrin:
KISS!!! It means Keep It Simple Stupid!:biggrin:

The fact of the matter is that you're new to this and have "stars" in your eyes. Even a mild 350 to build from scratch will cost you as much as that running 4.1. Believe me, I'm particular about who does my machine work and I do the assembly. The last Buick V6 I did was in the early/mid 80's and I think I spent around 3K then so this should give you some perspective of what it costs to do it right, now.:redface:

Gotta agree with you Matt. Get the engine from Aj for now and rememberthis one little phrase. Anyone that's spent time in the military knows this word well.:biggrin:
KISS!!! It means Keep It Simple Stupid!:biggrin:

do you know whats sad... ive heard that so many times from my mom.... simple to me is to run N/A 3.8 with a 2bbl carb, and a 3speed tranny.:biggrin: no power whatsoever. I know WHO does my machine work... but you guys gotta remember, im a body man, not a mechanic. Im doing more body and frame work to the car than engine work... so when it comes to engine stuff ill probably ask noobish questions (Ill admit that for now... dont rub it in:redface::rolleyes:) and spend waaay too much on s-hit that i dont need. Ive got a 109 engine and was gonna just swap parts, and build up a wishlist for later to go B/T SLOWLY... which i should have mentioned before i kinda got called out on it:mad: Ill drive a n/a car until i get a space to work, a little expertice, and some mono y mono help with my car from a fellow turbo buick member. The 4.1 is a prime engine choice, IF i could find one even in a pull-a-part. A N/A 3.8 is hard to find....

dayum.......:eek:
patience.... patience..... boy ive had a long day....

BTW i though KISS stood for Keep It Short Stupid....

im going to swap parts from my current motor to the new one until i have the place and funds to go BT with the motor.
ok i get it

do you know whats sad... ive heard that so many times from my mom.... simple to me is to run N/A 3.8 with a 2bbl carb, and a 3speed tranny.:biggrin: no power whatsoever. I know WHO does my machine work... but you guys gotta remember, im a body man, not a mechanic. Im doing more body and frame work to the car than engine work... so when it comes to engine stuff ill probably ask noobish questions (Ill admit that for now... dont rub it in:redface::rolleyes:) and spend waaay too much on s-hit that i dont need. Ive got a 109 engine and was gonna just swap parts, and build up a wishlist for later to go B/T SLOWLY... which i should have mentioned before i kinda got called out on it:mad: Ill drive a n/a car until i get a space to work, a little expertice, and some mono y mono help with my car from a fellow turbo buick member. The 4.1 is a prime engine choice, IF i could find one even in a pull-a-part. A N/A 3.8 is hard to find....

dayum.......:eek:
patience.... patience..... boy ive had a long day....

BTW i though KISS stood for Keep It Short Stupid....

what frame work are you doing? did you get in a crash? you know i'm a body man/painter too i think you know that. did you know i started a how to do bodywork thread. if you want to add any of your painting stuff to it you can. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/how-tos/329021-how-do-bodywork.html