Max Boost on 93 Octane?

Dave if you don't mind what injectors are you running and what is the duty cycle when running that kind of boost?

Running MSD 50's, and the duty cycle is often in the high 80% range at that boost.

Fact; the stuff has sure messed up my lawn mower & weedeater.

How has it messed them up specifically? My lawn tractor is still working perfectly(with over 500 hours on it), as is my weedeater.

I wish I had a dime for every time ethanol in 'today's gas' got blamed for messing up an engine.

It's only been there since the '70's.

earlbrown said:
I wish I had a dime for every time ethanol in 'today's gas' got blamed for messing up an engine.

It does however mess up small engines if it sits long enough to seperate. Generally just kills carb diaphragms and such.

How has it messed them up specifically? My lawn tractor is still working perfectly(with over 500 hours on it), as is my weedeater.

If you run whatever it may be often enough to cycle out the old gas and keep replacing it with new I would guess that for the most part everything will be OK. Let this newer gas set for more than a couple of months and it will start to go bad. The other problem I have found with my small engines is hoses, primer bulbs and anything made of the old style plastics or rubber breaks down. You can buy updated fuel line for this reason and newly purchase equipment has been updated.

I remember that it was marketed as " gasohol "

This is why I've significantly dialed back my Alky.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

This is why I've significantly dialed back my Alky.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Did you do this because you think the ethanol enriched fuel has more knock resistance or other reasons ?

Update: Well at least I know my knock gauge works now:oops: . During an extended WOT pull in third at 20# I got detonation and promptly got out of it. It may be the increasing temps around here that finally made it happen. I've dialed the boost way down as I'm going for no knock under any circumstances and it will only get hotter here in GA. I have a 12v adapter for my laptop and my 3 bar map is plumbed and wired to the powerlogger now so I can do some more in depth tuning. I'll start from stock boost (again) and go up from there.

You are taking your time which is a good thing. I'll be doing the same this weekend if I can find the time.
Joel

Update: Well at least I know my knock gauge works now:oops: . During an extended WOT pull in third at 20# I got detonation and promptly got out of it. It may be the increasing temps around here that finally made it happen. I've dialed the boost way down as I'm going for no knock under any circumstances and it will only get hotter here in GA. I have a 12v adapter for my laptop and my 3 bar map is plumbed and wired to the powerlogger now so I can do some more in depth tuning. I'll start from stock boost (again) and go up from there.

Do you have the PowerLogger file to post? I have been looking at a lot of them trying learn more about where & when detonation is most often occurring, I'm no expert but just trying to learn more.

Do you have the PowerLogger file to post? I have been looking at a lot of them trying learn more about where & when detonation is most often occurring, I'm no expert but just trying to learn more.
No log file. I was logging Boost, WB 02, and KR during the run but I forgot to stop logging right after so all I got was me idling in the driveway after I got back home(doh!). But I plan to log the next few runs.

I can run 16 psi safely and during the cold months 18psi.......I run 4gal of E-85 every tank of 93 this allows me to run 17psi and bump up my timing in 1st and 2nd....this gives the car a better spool up and feels great on the street. 17psi is not much but it is super safe zero kr and it puts the car in the mid 11's with a 1.60 60' on a soft 6psi stal........I will eventually put alky on the car but it is just so easy to go to a pump put fuel in it and forget about it nothing else to think about but pushing the go pedal and having some fun!:D

Amelio
what other mods do you have to get you to mid 11's?

joel

Stock irons ported and polished by champion with bigger valves, stock intake also worked by champion
210/215 roller
TE-66 SLIC
55# injectors and a double pumper
3"dp with full exhaust and ATR headers
Bottom end is stock for the most part just stronger parts...ARP hardware and a girdle with TRW pistons but its all stock spec's

Thats about it nothing real special it just works well together....I do have a built trans and some suspension mods....

The next time I go to the track I wanna run some fuel and bump the boost up to 20 or so and hope to get close or tickle the 10's

I used to have a flat tappet cam with a TE-44 and I could get 19 psi on 93oct with that combo.

good luck
real nice setup
joel

Thanks.......I know the car has a lot more in it but I have learned to keep it simple it tends to break less lol! I find if I keep the boost down I have little to no problems with the car and in my opinion a mid 11's car on the street is pretty fast and fun!

very fast and very fun
i am having a blast driving my bone stock car
keeping things fairly safe also counts for something
not opening the wallet every month for repairs is also a good thing
be sure to let us know how it goes
joel

I was able to save a log today. I'm beginning to think the knock I encountered at 20# was due to the TC locking up and rpms getting pulled down. Anyway, here it is:

Attachments

• latest log file.dat
    43.1 KB · Views: 68
^^^^Edit: I found out why I got knock at WOT at 20#. I left it in overdrive. I always cruise in OD. I was unaware that OD put such a load on the motor at WOT. I felt it shift before my knock gauge lit up. That's a mistake I will not repeat. I'm still learning here. Anyway, I have the boost at ~17# now and will continue to tune from there.