Stock Turbo 20 Psi

87Grande.National

Hey guys had some mixed answers on this one thought I’d get some Insight on here, with the following mods
255 lph fuel pump
Adjustable Fpr
GN1 Cold air intake
GN1 SLIC
Lorenzo boost controller
180 tstat
RJC PP
60 lb injectors with TT chip
Is it possible to have the chip set to 18-20 psi of boost with 94 octane and not experience knock?

The most I could get with a stock turbo and a street chip on pump gas was 17 lb.s before I saw knock.

You could do 18 in 1st and 2nd and 16 beyond that.
My old Kenne Bell chip did that probably with too much timing as well.... :p
If it's really 94 like Sunoco used to make. :cool:

Hey guys had some mixed answers on this one thought I’d get some Insight on here, with the following mods
255 lph fuel pump
Adjustable Fpr
GN1 Cold air intake
GN1 SLIC
Lorenzo boost controller
180 tstat
RJC PP
60 lb injectors with TT chip
Is it possible to have the chip set to 18-20 psi of boost with 94 octane and not experience knock?
It's possible with alot of timing pulled out richer afr and control over the intake charge temps with a better intercooler.
Once the heat soak begins
The car will knock.
Motors aren't cheap these days
I would recommend having an octane blanket over 15psi.

It's possible with alot of timing pulled out richer afr and control over the intake charge temps with a better intercooler.
Once the heat soak begins
The car will knock.
Motors aren't cheap these days
I would recommend having an octane blanket over 15psi.
I just figured on TT’s website it says 16-17 is normally in the safe range so I thought maybe with a stretched SLIC and a cold air intake maybe I can squeeze a few more pounds ?but yeah I just rebuilt the motor last year so I don’t want to do that again

I just figured on TT’s website it says 16-17 is normally in the safe range so I thought maybe with a stretched SLIC and a cold air intake maybe I can squeeze a few more pounds ?but yeah I just rebuilt the motor last year so I don’t want to do that again
The gain is not worth the risk inmo.
Get yourself an alky kit or move the car over to e85.
The stock turbo is capable of 30psi on a stock motor in good air and with the air cooled it's a win win.

I have a very similar setup. I can usually pull off 18 lbs with a can of Octanium added to 94, but I'm not sure it's worth $24 per tank for the extra one or two pounds of boost. It seems to vary depending on outside temperature and the actual octane of the pump gas I get. I fill up at the same station and have had different results on 94. Sometimes, no KR even without the Octanium and then KR on the next tank fill. I haven't messed with timing. It's a crap shoot for me at 18 lbs. Is there a brand name gas station that has consistent 94 octane?

I have a very similar setup. I can usually pull off 18 lbs with a can of Octanium added to 94, but I'm not sure it's worth $24 per tank for the extra one or two pounds of boost. It seems to vary depending on outside temperature and the actual octane of the pump gas I get. I fill up at the same station and have had different results on 94. Sometimes, no KR even without the Octanium and then KR on the next tank fill. I haven't messed with timing. It's a crap shoot for me at 18 lbs. Is there a brand name gas station that has consistent 94 octane?
That's an issue
As guys assume they are getting the octane number they purchase
Meanwhile some extra 87 octane made its way into the 93🙄.
We saw consistent what I call ghost knock while pushing pump gas 93 on several different combinations in these cars.
To the point where I just dont take the risk being underfueled or under octanened anymore.

I was planning on running 16. I do eventually want to run alky but hear the stock turbo can start running out of steam above 22lbs. My eventual goal is a reliable 400 wheel. Think that should be safely attainable. Will need to go up on the turbo though.

Post #10
Nobody needs to speculate
Some of us have been there
Done that
Plenty of threads on stock turbos going well into the 11s and some making low 11 sec passes
on stock motors,stock intercoolers.

Post #10
Nobody needs to speculate
Some of us have been there
Done that
Plenty of threads on stock turbos going well into the 11s and some making low 11 sec passes
on stock motors,stock intercoolers.
Hmmm. Interesting. Wondering required mods to. Drivability between different turbos. Graphs.

Ok good to know and Yeah I can get 94 no problem, are you running a stock intercooler on yours ?

Was that with a stock intercooler ?
Yes. And that was a loong time ago on good Sunoco. I think your hoping a better intercooler will help against detonation. I doubt it but you can try. Start with lower boost and turn your adjustable wastegate up 1 pound at a time until you see knock. I backed it off 1/2 turn after seeing knock.

Dont gamble with the pump octane today its all low, 93 is 90 and so on, if you want to push the car do an alky kit or if you have e85 in your area even better.
The stock turbo runs out of steam around 36lbs/min or bouts 370 hp, where ever that boost number may be with your car is different, dont look at the boost when your trying to calculate your cars hp. my car hits 370hp at low boost with my set up yours may take till 25psi ..

The GN1 stretch slic isn't miles ahead of the stock Garret.