many mods promised me 11's but running 14's!

you made a good point and one that i didnt consider. My post was aimed at the overall gearing part of the responses

The gearing is a small part of the total issue.... but only a very small part.....compared to sidewall...

I have decided to run some GTA Fronts with 28x11.5x16 ET Streets... on my combo for the stealth approach.... and am sweating potential traction issues (I haven't run my car with new combo)....... I would rather have 28 x 10.5 x 15's ..... I am hoping I can hook the 16's good enough to get some low 1.50's.... high 1.40's 60' time.... If I am unsuccessful.... I'll either switch back to 15's... (have to take the LS1 disks off the back....).... and get a real tire...or live with it..... I have no other choice...

I would think if he had a traction problem he would be asking how to get it to hook and he would know why it runs crappy times.The tire height could still be the same if he runs 15s or 20s.So the gears ratio wouldnt have changed.I dont see anybody complaning about people running 16 inch gnx wheels.I dont personaly like 20s but unless he has a traction problem i wouldnt get on his case about it.

Musta scared off the OP. Lots of info is missing in this equation. There's alot of help being offered here but until there's some more info it's a waste. If he comes back to the post maybe he'll provide some details like:
Did you run the car before you did your mods and what did it run?
Post the info on your timeslip (asked a bunch of times)
What's the rest of the car like, ie bad trans, running too hot, exhaust leaks, etc?
Did you ever run with different tires/rims with that same combo?
Post the data logging if you got it.

It will be interesting to see if he's really interested in making his car run better or just posing with rims like a riceboy. His choice. :rolleyes:

Come on and relax people; not a cool way to make a new member feel welcomed, nobody is born an expert.

The catalytic converter may be hurting you significantly. And I can tell you that my car hooks up better on regular 28" street tires, then it did with 26" tall Drag Radials...so that is some insight as to why some are flipping out about 20's.

But even with 20's, we can figure out what needs to be done to get the tune right.

You need good gas (or alky) and a SOLID TUNE if you are blowing over 20 psi boost!!!

Need to monitor KR = Knock Retard Should be zero.

O2 volts in the upper 700's to low 800's

And before anything...ensure nothing is wrong with the basic tune. May call it the Spring Cleaning: The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide You have a new intercooler so not all needs to be done, maybe nothing with a new setup but it serves as a check list.

Also found on that site are specs for all your sensors. If your MAF, TPS, O2 is not reading right, you will have problems.

This is not like most other boards on the net, lots of help here usually minutes, not days away. So now you have some work to do; lets see what's going on here.

Nice post!

Welcome to the board!

As stated it could be a multitude of problems. Everyone doesn't start off an expert:)

If you are looking for a time slip you are going to have to sacrifice the 20's. 17's with DR's will hook!

Everyone has told you that the 20s are killing you but noone has told you why. Let me try to explain it ok. Our cars have 3.42 gears in the back. This means that the driveshaft has to turn 3.42 times to get the rear tire to turn 1 full circle. Ok say that if the tire turns one full time it moved the car forward 4 feet for an example on the stock 15 in tires. Now since your tires are bigger one full turn might move the car forward 6 feet instead of 4 feet. Since you are moving 3500 lbs of dead weight forward even further the car is having to strain more to do it and the car will be further and further down the track as your RPMs on the motor finally get up. As the RPMS get up into their power range your car speeds up faster. If you are still running the stock convertor it is REALLY killing you running them tall tires as well. It is keeping your rpms down as well on take off and trying to turn the bigger wheels is taking you forever to get the motor up in its power band. The bigger wheels are also putting a LOT of strain on your rear axles if you are making a lot of power, cruising is find but racing is an accident waiting to happen as one of the axles will likey break on you sooner or later. I hate the big wheels as they are not my thing but my advise to you is if you just HAVE to have them on your car , cruise with them and when you go to the track swap your wheels out back to 15s and have fun and watch your times drop at the track as well! Daniel Ray
ps just noticed you are running a 2800 stall, with them big tires you are COOKING that convertor and your tranny trying to run fast with the big wheels.

Have you ever put a 20 on a scale???? That would be a large part of this equasion.......:eek:

Please Dont Give Up On Me!

Sorry for delay (had work yesterday and church today), I had no idea this post would spur so much interest! I do not take offense to any of the 20's comments as I wanted to be perfectly honest and yes I am learning as that is why I am on the board and everyones comments are much appreciated. I do try to search my questions as much as possible as I do not want to be the guy asking a bunch of the same questions that are answered over and over.

I definitly will run my stock 15" wheels with DR's but as lloyd smale said in his reply (if I am running low profile tires, etc it should not make that much of a difference), that was my thinking in that it would not cost me 2-3 seconds.

Here is my best run:

2.413 60'
6.110 330
9.027 1/8
13.63 1/4
106.08 mph

Traction was never an issue, as the car never spun the tires loose, and I will say any tips on leaving the starting line regardless of the wheel size would be appreciated.

Yes I am runnning the stock converter (catalytic) and I am assuming I should move over to a test pipe, would a 3" down pipe replace the stock converter too? I did search for a down pipe but it seems that they are hard to find...

As far as the data I am logging I have only been watching the knock sensor as I am not sure when I should be collecting the other data, for example the 7-800 O2 when should that be collected as it changes?

I am hoping to be at the buick horsepower nationals in Hebron, Ohio if anyone can help me tune the car.

Sorry for delay (had work yesterday and church today), I had no idea this post would spur so much interest! I do not take offense to any of the 20's comments as I wanted to be perfectly honest and yes I am learning as that is why I am on the board and everyones comments are much appreciated. I do try to search my questions as much as possible as I do not want to be the guy asking a bunch of the same questions that are answered over and over.

I definitly will run my stock 15" wheels with DR's but as lloyd smale said in his reply (if I am running low profile tires, etc it should not make that much of a difference), that was my thinking in that it would not cost me 2-3 seconds.

Here is my best run:

2.413 60'
6.110 330
9.027 1/8
13.63 1/4
106.08 mph

Traction was never an issue, as the car never spun the tires loose, and I will say any tips on leaving the starting line regardless of the wheel size would be appreciated.

Yes I am runnning the stock converter (catalytic) and I am assuming I should move over to a test pipe, would a 3" down pipe replace the stock converter too? I did search for a down pipe but it seems that they are hard to find...

As far as the data I am logging I have only been watching the knock sensor as I am not sure when I should be collecting the other data, for example the 7-800 O2 when should that be collected as it changes?

I am hoping to be at the buick horsepower nationals in Hebron, Ohio if anyone can help me tune the car.

With a proper 60' you have a 12.40 car right now. The 20's will make a difference. They arent helping at all. A 2.4 60' isnt going to get you anywhere. More tuning, suspension work, weight removal, and driver technique will get you 11's. Get a wideband datalogger for accurate tuning.

Here is my best run:

2.413 60'
6.110 330
9.027 1/8
13.63 1/4
106.08 mph

A 3" DP with a race cutout will open up your exhaust ALOT. Most vendors sell the pipe with cutout or test pipe.

First thing is the 60'. 2.4 is not good at all. A lot to do with the wheels, but you already know that lol. It seems like these cars pick up .15 to almost .2 seconds for every .1 seconds dropped of the 60'. So, that run with at least a 1.6 60' would have dropped your et to around a low 12.

Pick up a cheap set of stock wheels put some drag radials on em,and just swap them before you go to the track (20 mins) and change them when you get back.You will def pick up 60ft and that 3" DP and dump will get you to the 11's.

Bison, is there a good resource for the ideal tuning for the datalogger?

Badazz do you recommend any specific down pipe, I hear alot of guys cry about the chines made pipes.

Bison, is there a good resource for the ideal tuning for the datalogger?

Badazz do you recommend any specific down pipe, I hear alot of guys cry about the chines made pipes.

I got mine from SE Turbo, it came with the dump pipe. G BODY has em like that too.Also a few others, I think. I dont think their chinese made.I know alot of the stuff on ebay is,stay away from that!

There are still some of the terry houston 3" dp's available, like the one I am taking off my car for a 3.5" setup. :biggrin:

Check out the simmons 17" rims on robsiron car. They have the big look, but still facilitate perfomance. I honestly don't think there are a better looking set out there if this is what you are going for

Attachments

• wheels.jpg
    wheels.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 378
hey,i would for sure install drag radials tires to help with your 60'. that it self
would bring you closer to the high 12's or very low 13's at lease.i also notice
that you are using your convertor which i would remove and install a test pipe.to me just those two thinks can help you out in your goals,but at the same time you will have to tune your car properly in order to get the best
performance out of your car.Just to let you now my gn is for the more part stock,just with hooker 2 1/2 pipe with test pipe,tt chip,235 bfg drag radials
and 17 pounds of boost i ran 13.47 in the 1/4 mile this was a couple of years ago

Hey, v8assassin that picture sould be band from this forum cause all the time i see it make me want to cry that my little girl is not as sexy as she is.:biggrin:

As everyone has already said, buy two 15" aluminum rims for the rear and slap on some DRs. You can swap them at the track.

Hey, v8assassin that picture sould be band from this forum cause all the time i see it make me want to cry that my little girl is not as sexy as she is.:biggrin:

No kidding, that is one mean looking stance! I forgot to mention the price of the simmons :eek: Hope you weren't planning on getting cheese on that ****per :biggrin:

I am leaning heavily to the trac stars, heard they were discontinued and needed to be ordered soon.

Yup,the price start off about $3500.Thats wye i purchase the budnik tiller $1995.That stand is to die for:biggrin: just perfect:biggrin:here is mine

Attachments

• buickstreetass006-1pppppppppppppp.jpg
    buickstreetass006-1pppppppppppppp.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 370