Makes me sick (New Orleans victims)

i heard about them shooting at the helichopters thismorning, thats crazy. flat out crazy. i actually didn't believe at at first. then i read this from abc news.

"Hospitals are trying to evacuate," said Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Cheri Ben-Iesan, spokesman at the city emergency operations center. "At every one of them, there are reports that as the helicopters come in people are shooting at them. There are people just taking potshots at police and at helicopters, telling them, "You better come get my family."

so these people claim to be shooting at the choppers because they aren't getting THEIR family. i can understand the fear i really can but there is a point where you have to realize i'm not the only one in this mess. so they just screwed themselved. if they had any chance in having their family rescued, its pretty well gone now.

I felt bad when it happend, it was obvious how many people were going to lose their lives and it was sadening. now to see this from the survivors? its incredible.

as for why they stayed there, i guess i can see why you wouldnt' want to leave, but there is a point where you have to decide if your life or your belongings are more important. this storm was predicted to pretty much kill anything in its path. to most people that means one thing, get the hell out. i saw the videos of the highways, i'm not goign to say it would have been easy to leave there, or even possible for everyone but if you don't make an attempt, i'm sorry to be cold hearted like this but then you just dramatically increased your odds of death. its darwin in action. those who made the effort to get out might not have a house to come back to but they have their lives. those who didn't make an effort are left shooting at helichopters and looting for enough bread to make a sandwich.

i can't say all those who tried to leave were successfull or even lived through the ordeal. but those with the desire to live and their priorities straight stood a much better chance. its life, you can see it in nature all the time, and here it is in a human scale, were no different.

Where did I say let them die?

They should be able to handle themselves without the NG telling them how to act.

In combat a soldier is taken care of because he would do the same for you.

I feel sorry for you if you think these people would return the favor if the roles were reversed.

Again hateful no,unsympathetic heck yes.

denn454 said:
i heard about them shooting at the helichopters thismorning, thats crazy. flat out crazy. i actually didn't believe at at first. then i read this from abc news.

"Hospitals are trying to evacuate," said Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Cheri Ben-Iesan, spokesman at the city emergency operations center. "At every one of them, there are reports that as the helicopters come in people are shooting at them. There are people just taking potshots at police and at helicopters, telling them, "You better come get my family."

so these people claim to be shooting at the choppers because they aren't getting THEIR family. i can understand the fear i really can but there is a point where you have to realize i'm not the only one in this mess. so they just screwed themselved. if they had any chance in having their family rescued, its pretty well gone now.

I felt bad when it happend, it was obvious how many people were going to lose their lives and it was sadening. now to see this from the survivors? its incredible.

as for why they stayed there, i guess i can see why you wouldnt' want to leave, but there is a point where you have to decide if your life or your belongings are more important. this storm was predicted to pretty much kill anything in its path. to most people that means one thing, get the hell out. i saw the videos of the highways, i'm not goign to say it would have been easy to leave there, or even possible for everyone but if you don't make an attempt, i'm sorry to be cold hearted like this but then you just dramatically increased your odds of death. its darwin in action. those who made the effort to get out might not have a house to come back to but they have their lives. those who didn't make an effort are left shooting at helichopters and looting for enough bread to make a sandwich.

i can't say all those who tried to leave were successfull or even lived through the ordeal. but those with the desire to live and their priorities straight stood a much better chance. its life, you can see it in nature all the time, and here it is in a human scale, were no different.

I think this man gets what I mean.

No, it is surely the Republican idiot you voted in office which looks bad now, the same fool, who cut funding to LAs projects for flood control to divert the money to the Iraq war, the same idiot who passed laws alowing the sale of wetlands to delevelopers therefore removing the only barrier New Orleans had from the sea. The same idiot who was in CALIFORNIA half way across the country the day AFTER the hurricane, trying to drum up support for his lame duck administration. The same idiot who will be remembered as the worst president in the history of this country. Here we are FIVE DAYS later, and NOW the national guard major presence is arriving? How ****ing stupid is this guy? I think the only ones more stupid are the uptight far right lunatics on this board.

UNGN said:
Yeah the Republican governor of Lousianna and the Republican Mayor of New Orleans look pretty bad now.

Dude, what does politics have to do with it?

Natural disasters happen. Is it the Incompetent Republican run government's fault that people are dirt ass poor in a prosperous city, flush with oil revenues?

Is it the Incompetent Republican run government's fault that section of levee that WAS JUST UPGRADED, failed?

Who cares what idiots in Foreign countries are saying, anyway? France had 10,000 people die last year because of a lack of air conditioning.

When Bad stuff happens to them, we won't laugh at their misfortune, but will help them recover.

i think you got it a little on the cruel side sixgun, but thats how it is. somehow the bad has to be weeded out. i'm by no means saying we should turn into nazi germany here. mother nature takes of the dirty work herself.

here the worning was made, most of those who listened are still alive and doing ok. those who didn't are setting on their rooftops or stealing tv's that have been undrewater for the last 3 days, or shooting at any one. Look at this. i'm sure there are good people there but from what i'm seeing there are some pretty low life people there, thats the scum of life. i can't say they deserve to die but look whats happening to them.

smokin'6 said:
No, it is surely the Republican idiot you voted in office which looks bad now, the same fool, who cut funding to LAs projects for flood control, the same idiot who sold of federal wetlands to delevelopers therefore removing the only barrier New Orleans had from the sea. The same idiot who will be remembered as the worst president in the history of this country. Here we are FIVE DAYS later, and NOW the national guard major presence is arriving? How ****ing stupid is this guy? I think the only ones more stupid are the uptight far right lunatics on this board.

I repeat. The portion of the levee that broke was NEW!!!! No amount of tax dollars would have prevented this because what broke was already at Spec.

As for the National Guard showing up five days later... who controls the "National guard". I'll give you a hint, it isn't the President.

It's the "Louisiana National Guard" not the "United States National Guard".

Everyone on here saying "they were poor... they couldn't evacuate..." I have a question for you: Was Fat's Domino too "Poor" to evacuate?

And the News media going off on the administration... WTF were they showing on Tuesday night Prime time when N.O. was going under water???? Reruns of "Fear Factor"? Talk about Friday morning quarterbacks.

Stop blaming Bush for people being stupid and big government not being able to solve the world's problems.

Oh I forgot. You are incapable of not blaming Bush for anything.

Smokin'something: "No, it is surely the Republican idiot you voted in office which looks bad now, the same fool, who cut funding to LAs projects for flood control to divert the money to the Iraq war.."

WRONG.

"The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said Thursday that a lack of funding for hurricane-protection projects around New Orleans did not contribute to the disastrous flooding that followed Hurricane Katrina.
In a telephone interview with reporters, corps officials said that although portions of the flood-protection levees remain incomplete, the levees near Lake Pontchartrain that gave way--inundating much of the city--were completed and in good condition before the hurricane.

However, they noted that the levees were designed for a Category 3 hurricane and couldn't handle the ferocious winds and raging waters from Hurricane Katrina, which was a Category 4 storm when it hit the coastline. The decision to build levees for a Category 3 hurricane was made decades ago based on a cost-benefit analysis." - Chicago Tribune

And, by the way, according to a June 23, 1995, article in the Times-Picayune

"A hurricane project, approved and financed since 1965, to protect more than 140,000 West Bank residents east of the Harvey Canal is in jeopardy.
The Clinton administration is holding back a Corps of Engineers report recommending that the $120 million project proceed. Unless that report is forwarded to the Office of Management and Budget, Congress cannot authorize money for the project, U.S. Rep. William Jefferson's office said Thursday.

Without the improvements - a flood gate in the Harvey Canal and raised levees along the Intracoastal Waterway - a tidal surge produced by a hurricane "could result in the catastrophic loss of life and property damage," corps officials reported. In a worst-case-scenario storm, 82 percent of the buildings east of the Harvey Canal, from The Point in Algiers to the Algiers Lock in the Industrial Canal, would be flooded, causing $2.2 billion in damage, according to corps estimates."

Try again. (Without making it up.) :rolleyes:

From CNN

Some 6,000 National Guard personnel from Louisiana and Mississippi who would otherwise be available to help deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina are in Iraq.

Even so, Pentagon spokesman Lawrence Di Rita said the states have adequate National Guard units to handle the hurricane needs. He said about 6,500 National Guard troops were available in Louisiana, about 7,000 in Mississippi, nearly 10,000 in Alabama and about 8,200 in Florida.

Do you see adequate help when you watch the news?

ok so they arent' here to help, guess what, thats why there are people from across the country from almost, if not every states national guards. maybe our comander in chief didn't think out country was full if idiots that would shoot at helichopters trying to rescue them. and the coastguard who is doing most of the rescue work was doing a pretty darn good job untill they had some opposition from the "good guys."

are you saying this should have been predicted months out before the hurricane even formed? are you saying there should have been enough foresight to know were going to need those 6,000 people back? are you stupid?

do you believe everything the news tells you?

Hmmm???

As for some saying they deserve it I personally dont wish this on anyone even my worst enemy

I know that their are board members that have lost everything and the only person so far that can relate to what has happend is SFI turbo who actually been through a LESS ordeal

I see alot of post that have hate torwards people they have never met or about a place they never been..perhaps they hate themselves :rolleyes: its always easier to knock sombody down when their hurt then it help them get back up

Johnny

All I can say is never say never and what gose around comes around

badboy86gn2 said:
I find it amazing how people can post and bitch about something 90% of them never experinced... Until then STFU

I haven't read the thread yet... just this post.

I experienced the hurricane first hand... so I guess I have cred :)

Looters should be shot on sight.. period, end of story.

You are an idiot.

YOU should STFU :mad:

sixgun86gn said:
Is it me,or do all these people seem real stupid?

Believe me, they are real stupid.

They are people who, because of government entitlement programs, no longer have any idea how to care for themselves.

That's just a fact.

UNGN said:
I repeat. The portion of the levee that broke was NEW!!!! No amount of tax dollars would have prevented this because what broke was already at Spec.

Rumor has it a contractor left a barge at the site of a bridge they had just finished rebuilding to meet flood specs. It should not have been left there. Anyway, it broke loose and busted out the levee.

That's what I heard...

If it's true, ONE MAN is responsible for all that flooding :eek:

Wow I had no idea there was this many people in America that cant survive on their own without others there to wipe their ass because of their own stupidity.
I guess like someone else said thats why we "have government hand out programs to thank for that" now we have to take care of the ones who cant think for themselves.
And WTF who maliciously trys to snipe or kill another American citizen just because they have the opportunity.

The Blob said:
If it's true, ONE MAN is responsible for all that flooding :eek:

YEAH!!! IT'S ALL BUSH'S FAULT!!!!!! :)

As for the National Guard, as I said in previous threads, I have evacuted from Hurricanes twice and the National Guard was IN PLACE a day BEFORE the governor called for the evacs. They should have been at least in Baton Rouge on Sunday.

The Governor could have had 8,000 NG troops near N.O.

The media has been out to lunch on this whole Hurricane. Sunday night, with a Cat 5 hurricane heading to NOLA within hours, the New York Times headline was still "Bush won't meet with Cindy Sheehan" or some nonsense like that.

On Matt Drudge's Sunday night show he had clips from a PBS documentary saying NOLA will flood in a cat 4 and will take MONTHS to pump out. He probably saved more lives than all the major networks combined. If I lived in NOLA and hadn't evacuated, yet, I would have got in my car right then.

Blame America Firster

smokin'6 said:
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001051313

OH mac you lil fool, I can quote SOURCES, not just type away such as yourself.

Note the statement on the Times-Picayune article of 2004 and 2005, um it wasn't Clinton in office then, maybe you weren't looking.

Come on now, tell the truth. You been celebrating since Monday. Ain't this a great opportunity for you to bash Bush and your country. Them smart ass foreigners are makin fun of us..........cause they hate Bush too. Messed them up while they had their sweetheart deal with Sadaam.

Got this off the other site to shut you up with your left wing propaganda. $450,000,000 has been spent on the levees over ten years, "ut at least $250,000,000 in crucial projects remained." At the rate they'd been going (about $45,000,000 per year) that's almost six years' worth of "crucial" projects yet to be done. The money was reduced starting in fiscal year 2004, so in fact no more than 1.5 years of the remaining six years' worth of projects was incomplete due to funding cuts.

http://www.redstate.org/story/2005/8/31/04148/2070

sixgun86gn said:
Where did I say let them die?

They should be able to handle themselves without the NG telling them how to act.

In combat a soldier is taken care of because he would do the same for you.

I feel sorry for you if you think these people would return the favor if the roles were reversed.

Again hateful no,unsympathetic heck yes.

Hey sixgun........most folks have to learn the hard way. I know what it's like when you're direct with your opinions. I'm gonna have to learn to beat around the bush more. More pleasant for some. :D

sixgun86gn said:
I say leave them.QUOTE]

To answer your question thats where you say let them die. If the people are dieing right now they have no food, no water, no proper medication, and no sanitary shelter. So leaving them there would be saying let them die. So basically you said it, but you just weren't very blunt.

I did not say let them die,don't put words in my mouth.

Its up to them whether they die or not.