low volts @TPS and cam sensor...anyone?

martymcsuperfly

HI guys, I have wicked low volts at the TPS. I cant get it past 3 volts without pointing the TPS straight up towards the hood! And, thats just plain wrong. And, the cam sensor, close to 5 volts! I checked the grounds and they all read out just fine. I was thinking bad ecm? Or, Is there a relay of some sort? Anything on this one? Thanks guys!!

somebody has to know this one! I just replaced the computer and still garbage. I cant even get close to the volts at idle or WOT. Not even remotely. There is just no way that the tps is supposed to have one bolt and facing straight up! I checked the grounds and they are fine. IS there a relay for the computer? I checked the orange wire too. All fine..

What are you reading the voltage with? Multimeter,volt meter, scan master or what?
Please don't take anything I type personal. Most of us have made dumb errors over the years.

You do have the key to "on" position with the engine NOT running, Right?
Do you have a volt meter? If yes, proceed on. If not, sorry.
Use a pin or stiff un-insulated wire and stick into the top wire on the connector going to the tps. This is your voltage to the tps.
Do you have 5 vdc or more? If yes, proceed on. If not, sorry, that is your problem.

Most people wallow/oblong out the two mounting holes on the TPS so that it can be adjusted.

There is a good procedure on the GN/T-Type site to set the TPS. Sorry I don't have the link for you.
Gary

I promise I wont take anything personally!! Any help is great! I do have a multimeter. I am about to get a scanmaster, but at the same time I am about to call it a day with this car. The volts are also entirely too low at the cam sensor too! To the point where it tripped the ses light! I printed out all those instructions for that site. And, what a great site for detailed instructions! So I am sure that I am doing it correctly. Oblonging the holes wont even help this one. I would have to remove the bottom bolt all together to get the volts! ANd, then that tps is really pointing straight up. I havent seen another car have one look that out of whack though. Thanks for the input. As I say also, start with the basics! But I think there may be a bigger issue.

I promise I wont take anything personally!! Any help is great! I do have a multimeter. I am about to get a scanmaster, but at the same time I am about to call it a day with this car. The volts are also entirely too low at the cam sensor too! To the point where it tripped the ses light! I printed out all those instructions for that site. And, what a great site for detailed instructions! So I am sure that I am doing it correctly. Oblonging the holes wont even help this one. I would have to remove the bottom bolt all together to get the volts! ANd, then that tps is really pointing straight up. I havent seen another car have one look that out of whack though. Thanks for the input. As I say also, start with the basics! But I think there may be a bigger issue.

To adjust the WOT volts (sounds like what you're trying to do), the procedure is to move the TPS as far forward as it can go. Moving the nose of the TPS up or down has very little effect on WOT and MOST effect on idle TPS values.
WOT, pull forward
IDLE, tilt up or down

thats good to know!!! However, I cant get over .3 volts without having to take the lower bolt out. So, I havent even gotten far enough to worry about WOT.

Then...

I did replace it! twice! Just to make sure. The low volts seem to be car wide.

I'd concentrate on finding the root problem, B4 messing w/ the TPS.
Info like this,["The low volts seem to be car wide"] is crucial to others helping, and not shooting in the dark.:wink:
Low volts over the entire elec sytem:
A. Bad ground.
B. Corroded/loose pos cable.
C. Dead cell in the batt.
D. Pos cable hitting the down pipe.
E. Corroded/ loose fuseable links.
F. Bad connections at the firewall bulkhead, or starter.
G. Pinched wires.
H. Alt not working. [Alt lite on dash working??]
I. Corroded plugs all over the car.

That's a few places to eliminate, B4 you worry about turning the TPS into a pretzel..:D

Ah, the poor tps! I did manage to get the idle volts set, but still 2 volts low at wot. Thus, the check engine light. So far, I did replace the battery. I checked all of the grounds that I could find. They seem ok. I have a new alt on the turd. So we are ok there. So these links you speak of, are they down at the starter area? The weird part is the volts on the top wire of the tps are just about at 5. Thats the only normal reading that I have managed to find! The car really doesnt find running at idle is something that it wants to do. I attribute all my problems to this current low voltage problem!

If anybody can lead me to this interesting problem, I will happily arrange a case of beer to be delivered to a predetermined location!! Is there somewhere that I can check the volts at a crucial location?

Where are you grounding your meter when you are taking these voltage readings? Are you using the block, the battery, the body, or the black return wire on the tps sensor? Do you get the same reading when you use the block or the black tps return wire as ground?

a good question!! I am using the battery to ground the meter. I didnt think of using the tps ground. i will check that. I have gone over all the wires off the starter to see if I am losing voltage there, and I am not. THanks for the reply! Im out to go ruin my day off by working on the car! =)

The links are at the starter + stud, and run up behind the rt cyl head.
Have you verified/eliminated the rest of my list??

Since you say, new alt... Is it charging, both at the alt + stud, AND at the heavy red wire at the + on the batt????

so far i have checked or replaced most of your list. I still have to pull that bulkheqd off to check that out. I checked for bad wires, but all looks ohk and checks out with the volt meter. WEIRD!!!!