Lost my keys need Help

nhrabill

Full of Hot Air
Hello all,

I need some advice I lost my keys for my 1985 GN when I was moving. Had car towed and can't find keys anywhere still a month later. Does anyone have any ideas. I know they have a keycode on the key punchouts wen the car is brand new I was curious if those numbers were hidden in the car anywhere maybe in a vin code ???
I would hate to rekey the whole car seen as it is most all original low mile and a real pain in the ass. I am also paranoid of someone stealing it soooo.. any ideas or tell me if I am screwed

Thanks,
NhraBill@yahoo.com

all you can do is have a lock smith make a new set of keys, but i would change the locks since these cars get stolen very often. 3 of my friends had theirs stolen in the past year.

Couple of big IFs. IF you know what dealer sold it originally, and IF that dealer is still in business, then that dealer could probably supply the key code. It's a longshot, I know.

Working at a GM parts dept up here in Canada I run into this all the time.
You should be able to go to any GM dealer and supply them with your VIN# and they can cut a key for you from there.Granted, you haven't had any of the cylinders changed since new,..the keys they cut will work.

Good luck!..Kyle.

Thanks Kyle I will give it a shot. And thanks to all with the suggestions and answers I knew if I posted on here I would get the good sggestions and all possible answers.

Thanks again
Bill

If that doesn't work out, any locksmith can make you an ignition key. Might be cheaper to buy a new ignition switch. They're about $20. Remove a door lock and take it to the locksmith and he can make a key.

Or buy a new lockset and swap them all out using new keys.

GM dealers can only do the key code thing for 1990 and newer vehicles. I doubt the original selling dealer has paperwork going back to 20 years ago. You are SOL on the door and trunk key unless you take them to a locksmith. It is cheaper to buy one of those precoded sets they sell at NAPA and AutoZone. If you can get the ignition lock cylinder out the key code is stamped on it and any dealer or locksmith can cut a key for it.

Buckethead said:
Working at a GM parts dept up here in Canada I run into this all the time.
You should be able to go to any GM dealer and supply them with your VIN# and they can cut a key for you from there.Granted, you haven't had any of the cylinders changed since new,..the keys they cut will work.

Good luck!..Kyle.

anything pre-1991 gets very iffy as far as GM's database, I got lucky getting codes for a 1988 Caprice once but that's the exception rather than the rule. The door and trunk locks are easy to change so that's probably the best bet.

Well the easiest thing to do is call a locksmith. Since that's what I do for a living :)

Anyway the from the locksmith's point of view, some of the other's are right. The dealer's only keep the codes from around 90-91 up. The cheapest way out would be pull the steering wheel, lock plate, and blinker assembly and replace it with another one. Doesn't really matter since the switch is different anyways. Then pull the door panel and remove the lock cylinder and take it to a locksmith.

FYI- I charge 20 bucks to do a door key if the lock cyl. is brought in the shop, charge 35 bucks to do the door if someone brings the car in and I pull it, and worse case I charge 90-100 bucks to go on site and originate both keys. Don't know what the pricing would be in your area though.

HTH

I have herd that gm is only good for 10 years back.
how frustrating! I am pissed off on your behalf :mad: :eek: :mad:

Section 1