Locking and unlocking while cruising

87natl

Fade 2 Black
I just installed a freshly built trans (Diers Stage 2) and a PTC 2800 lockup converter in my car tonight. Everything may be A - OK, but I just want to know if this is normal.....

Cruising at about 60 mph, I noticed that every time I let completely off the gas, and then gently pressed the pedal back down, the car seems to ca-chug back into lockup mode with a significant lurch. I'm talking real gentle driving here, as I am trying to break it in real easy. My old trans didn't act this way, but it may have been having issues itself before I grenaded it, LOL!

I haven't gotten on it with any real power yet, and so I don't know how it will act as far as locking and unlocking under load. That will happen after I get a few more easy miles on it. But as it is, it's rather annoying that every time I ease back into the throttle it's going to CA-CHUNG like I just made a 1-2 upshift.

Thoughts?

Sounds normal to me. The ca-chug part anyways.:wink:

Those lower stall lock up converters can be attention getting when locking at cruise rpms/low throttle pressures.

Good deal. Maybe it will lose a little harshness as I get a few breakin miles on her. I may play some more with the cable adjustment as well.

OK, new clue......

Took it out for about a 40 mile cruise around....and my MPH is WAAAAAAYYY off! At 60 mph both my speedometer and scanmaster show me around 75. Wrong speedo gear in this thing?? I don't know why its that far off, but it might explain why this thing wants to get into lockup so early.

the speedo will affect shift points as well as TPS setting,and the brake switch for the lock up.....

OK, and it's off. WAY off. Speed was right on time with my old trans on both the speedometer and the scanmaster. They agreed within 1 MPH of each other. Still do, but they both read high.

When this new trans came in, it didn't have the speedo gear in the back of the trans, so I had to pull the one from my old trans and swap it over. I know THAT is the same. So what is off?

Must be the Gov gear is not correct tooth. If you can remove the capsule you installed and look in the transmission for the color of the gov gear I can give you what you need to correct it. Should be green or orange. The orange ones have been gone a long time so I have been using the green. Should only be a couple off not 15mph. Either way I can correct it. I will call you on tuesday for the info.

Mine does the same thing. In OD it will chug a chug a little bit. Dusty and Brian says its okay so I dont even worry about it.

Hey Lonnie, I was trying not to bug you with you being on vacation and all. ;)

Trans feels good, tho I haven't gotten ON it yet. Feels strong. I just followed the wife in hee new Buick to confirm my MPH, and when she shows 60, I'm showing 70. Not quite as far off as I thought, but pretty darned far. Just tell me if I'm OK to drive it, and I'll figure to hear from you on Tuesday. Thanks!

The tranny in my newly-aquired GN acts exactly the same. And my speedo is off too!

The trans had been rebuilt at some point and a white governor speedo gear had been swapped in place of the original orange one for some reason. I'm still trying to find an orange gear to put it back to original.

On top of that, the rear axle has been replaced with a 7.5" out of a Monte SS- with 3.73 gear ratio. You can just imagine how far off my speedo reads! I have a correct axle now that I'll be installing over the winter.

John

Hey Lonnie, I was trying not to bug you with you being on vacation and all. ;)

Trans feels good, tho I haven't gotten ON it yet. Feels strong. I just followed the wife in hee new Buick to confirm my MPH, and when she shows 60, I'm showing 70. Not quite as far off as I thought, but pretty darned far. Just tell me if I'm OK to drive it, and I'll figure to hear from you on Tuesday. Thanks!

Yep you can drive it or race it what ever you need to do. It will hurt nothing other than lock up coming in early. I would say I have a 12 tooth gear in trans and you have a 28 driven stock gear. Will need a 31 driven gear that will get it close say 2-3 mph. Also let me know what tire ht is. The orange gear is extremely hard to find now. The green is getting the same way. I have sold so many units out the door with no cores I have depleted my orange gov. gears and also think I am out of green. I can make what you have work or we can get the gov gear from your BR trans that you have.

Lonnie,

I've got a green gear out of my old trans. The one in the trans you did for me had a white plastic gear with 13 teeth on the wide part of the gear and 14 on the slim part of the grear. Looked identical to the green gear to the naked eye, but I didn't count the teeth on the green gear. Can I simply swap the green plastic gear shroud to YOUR governor shaft and be where I need to be? I could do that easily enough.

How are you getting to this 28/31 gear rating?

BTW - I am running 28" tires.

You are a prince to respond when you're off. Lonnie rocks!!! ;)

Disregard. Went ahead and changed the green gear to the new governor shaft, and all is good! Speed seems about right, and she shifts nice. THanks for the info!

The gov gear is drive and speedo is driven. With 13 drive you can use 31 driven and it will get you close. Best would be 10/28 is what you have for 28" tires other options are 11/27 12/30 or 13/31. You got it handled thats the main thing.

Nice chart. Looks like I am close, but not quite there. I right now have a 10 drive gear and a 26 driven gear. The drive gear that was in it before was a 13, and I was way off with a .500 ratio.

According to the calulator, I am looking for a .405 ratio, and with my current set up I am at .385. By the chart, there is no 24 driven gear, so with a 10 drive gear I guess that 26 is as close as I am going to get. Correct? Looks like I should be reading 2-3 MPH low at 60 mph. I can live with that. If I ever go to a 27 inch tire, which is what I really wanted ayway, I'll be dead nuts on.

I love this board! :D

oh big whoop Mike, your car friggun hauls ass and you aint gonna have time to be looking down at that damn speedo...lol

I woke up this mornin pretty stiff from us workin on that jalopy for the last few days...sux getting old....need a tool monkey to hand stuff while laying under car

at library right now checkin out a book or two..did i leave my shades at your house last night?...bright and sunny outside

Haven't seen em, have you checked the top of your head???? :D

Took her out for a spin this morning, Mike, and whew....what a BEAST! LOL! This shouldn't be legal...........

Now on to my next irritant......the surge. Just ordered a tornado off of flea-bay. Worth a shot! If that doesn't work I will look at a BOV........oh, and I am going to be needing several pair of Depends. ;)