Limitations on stock parts

Slix

Wondering if i could get some HP numbers for the limitations of stock buick parts, in general. Wondering how much HP various parts can hanlde, such as block, heads, fuel system, turbo, intercooler, trans, etc. Kind of a hard question to ask about used parts, but assuming its in good condition, how much power can these cars handle.. Wondering a what point should various parts be upgraded...from your various experiences. Thanks

In my experience, the stock trans gave out at 12 flat. The stock fuel pump is barely enough for a stock TB. That would be one of the first items to change. Adding a hotwire kit is a good move too. Stock valve springs are barely enough pressure for a brand new TB. Now, 30+ years later they are done. The stock timing set is a time bomb with those plastic gears. Every one I've seen has chips in the teeth or cracks through them. There's a start for you.

As Pronto said above. Stock plastic coated timing gears and chain have to be replaced...better than stock pump...stronger valve springs...upgrade with a hotwire kit...and the trans has to be upgraded at 12 flat.

HP. Build is in my sig. I bracket race the car at 7 flat at 100 mph all day long with the stock block... stock pistons... stock rods... stock heads and stock crank. The key is staying out of detonation.

As Pronto said above. Stock plastic coated timing gears and chain have to be replaced...better than stock pump...stronger valve springs...upgrade with a hotwire kit...and the trans has to be upgraded at 12 flat.

HP. Build is in my sig. I bracket race the car at 7 flat at 100 mph all day long with the stock block... stock pistons... stock rods... stock heads and stock crank. The key is staying out of detonation.

thanks, wondering what kind/brand of timing chain (stock cam) and valve springs (stock heads) should i use?

The valve springs would be determined by the cam. The timing set by what you want to spend.

The valve springs would be determined by the cam. The timing set by what you want to spend.

So guessing there should be a number on the end of the cam? Thinking it's a stock cam... Its a flat tappet cam in a stock application?

so, im ordering my clevite main and rod bearings. new oil pan gasket(cork) and going to keep the stock rod and main bolts.

heard a lot about oiling system mods... any tips?

soon as i get the bearings changed I'm going to pull the timing chain and water pump and see whats in there...

So there is a guy named Bison, who has made 679 rwhp and 620ft-lbs of torque on a stock 109 short block. That’s stock crank, main caps, rods and pistons. No girdle or studs on the bottom end. He is running after heads, cam and valve train and f course turbo with a built transmission and remainder of his drive train. The stock short block can probably handle 500rwhp maybe more, but you need an excellent tune. Gaby Rojas ran a 9.20 on a stock short block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk