Late shift into OD

At what MPH is OD supposed to kick in?

And can you drive around in OD or should you leave the car in drive and only shift to OD once at proper speed?

D

About the earliest you can shift into OD is 42mph with a light TV cable adjustment and light throttle pressure.
Normally with proper TV adjustment and light throttle it will happen around 45-47mph
and if you you adjust the tv 1 click to get firmer shifts you will need to lift to get it to
happen under 50mph.

And yes you can leave it in OD all the time but if you find it shifting in and out of OD a lot
because you road speed is to low you should put it into D to keep the trans from shifting so much.

Once your up over 50 for good go back into OD.
But the tv cable adjust is critical to proper shift timing of OD as well as other things.

One of the things to keep in mind with all of this tv cable adjusting and such is that the
original hydraulic pressure curve in the trans which is what part of what the TV controls
was designed to work with a engine that was making roughly 275 HP at WOT.

Now with modifications to the engine and what not we can be making much more than that
but especially at part throttle openings say 15 pounds boost we can be making over 300HP now and with original
TV system calibration we can have too low of a system pressure to handle the this HP at part throttle since we have not
stroked the TV valve fully and Hurt the trans......This is especially one reason I am not a fan of the bigger throttle bodies
because they will let more airflow in at part throttle aggravating this condition even more.

So some training of your foot is needed to be sensitive to the part throttle operation while making
15+ pounds of boost just rolling into the throttle.

Any good 200r4 builder will have their tricks they do to help the TV and Pressure regulation system
and make the trans better suited for this increased power.

But with my last engine I had I knew that I should not be doing part throttle 20 psi gear upshifts
where the engine was likely making 450HP at part throttle so I just would never go there.
you can smoke the second gear band by doing this just one time if you are not careful.
Just some Info to pass along. FBR

If your on a 35 or 40 speed limit you will see alot of hunting between 3 and 4. I just go faster. :) Joel, try one click looser. It was a little quick to downshift.

will do
Thanks Mike
And thanks FBR, did not think about what you've brought up.
I am very close to stock compared to most
Hope that provides me some protection

On a flat road I'm thinking around 35-40. My 45+ is later than it had been.
Factory spec is 43 mph at minimum tv pressure. 45 is typical. The more you open the throttle,the later this shift will be. If it shifts before 43 at minimal throttle,the tv cable is loose

Normally with proper TV adjustment and light throttle it will happen around 45-47mph
and if you you adjust the tv 1 click to get firmer shifts you will need to lift to get it to
happen under 50mph..
I've noted the same thing. That one click can sometimes force you to lift to achieve any part throttle upshift into third,no matter what the speed.

One of the things to keep in mind with all of this tv cable adjusting and such is that the
original hydraulic pressure curve in the trans which is what part of what the TV controls
was designed to work with a engine that was making roughly 275 HP at WOT.

Now with modifications to the engine and what not we can be making much more than that
but especially at part throttle openings say 15 pounds boost we can be making over 300HP now and with original
TV system calibration we can have too low of a system pressure to handle the this HP at part throttle since we have not
stroked the TV valve fully and Hurt the trans......This is especially one reason I am not a fan of the bigger throttle bodies
because they will let more airflow in at part throttle aggravating this condition even more.

So some training of your foot is needed to be sensitive to the part throttle operation while making
15+ pounds of boost just rolling into the throttle.

Any good 200r4 builder will have their tricks they do to help the TV and Pressure regulation system
and make the trans better suited for this increased power.

But with my last engine I had I knew that I should not be doing part throttle 20 psi gear upshifts
where the engine was likely making 450HP at part throttle so I just would never go there.
you can smoke the second gear band by doing this just one time if you are not careful.
Just some Info to pass along. FBR
I think it is unwise to do anything more than brisk acceleration without going to full throttle. It's actually something I don't like about my car,but I refuse to go to a full tv all the time set-up.