Late shift into OD

Joeld

Hi all,
I had new exhaust installed. On drive home my car was shifting soft. I adjusted TV and first to second and second to third shifts are firm and at typical shift points. Maybe a bit more firm than prior but tough to be sure. Fourth is shifting late, around 45-50mph and I have to be light on the throttle.
I will re-adjust the TV as I've adjusted just the one time.

Any other thoughts, I've read threads on the valve body and like but not familiar. Is there a place I can find diagrams?

Can I drop the pan and access any of the key bits to clean?

Car has 19K, I did the filter and fluid when I purchased her after 18 years in storage. she's shifted perfectly up until last week's exhaust install.

the TV connection to tranny looks untouched and as it should, not sure how the adjustment got thrown off from exhaust install?

The shifts other than to 4th where much improved after my initial TV adjustment.

Thanks all,
Joel

Did you check the elec. connector in case they may have pulled it for some reason. Maybe it wasn't reinstalled properly. It provides the power for the l/u.

Thanks for the response. I'll check today. the electric is for lock up as you've stated, correct? What shifts from 3-4? Is there a solenoid or the like, is that also electric? Of the major components of a car, the automatic tranny is the bit I know the least. I'll do some reading on "general how does the 200 work". Can't hurt.
Joel
It is late from 3-4, I'll check to see if once in 4th is the TC locking up.
Joel

So to back off one click is meaning to make the tv cable looser correct?

Who did the exhaust work?

Is there a chance they took it for a joy ride?

D

Back off of your previous TV adjustment by one click.[/QUOT

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Backing off the or loosening the TV 1-2 clicks will have a big influence
on the OD shift point and the part throttle shift feel. Hopefully fine tuning this adjustment will get your shift feel
and timing back. There is usually a correct adjustment on the cable and then plus or minus 1 click to tailor shift feel
and timing,,,,,,,if you make radical adjustments you can damage the trans.... so go easy on the adjustment.

All of the gear shifts in our 200r4 transmissions are done with shift valves in the valve body
that are controlled with springs and hydraulic pressure. There are no electronics used for the shifting.

The 4 wire electrical connector does 3 things....2 of the wires provide power for the lockup clutch solenoid,
the 3rd wire gets grounded from the 3rd gear pressure switch and the 4th wire gets grounded from 4th gear
or OD pressure switch.
3rd and 4th gear switches report to the ecm letting it know when the trans is in these 2 gears.

Thanks guys, will do. Will try one click looser and if not will go once click the other way.
had it done by Lou's. watched entire job, no rides. Came out nice overall. They took their time and all bends and welds came out nice. Stumped as to why this work would've altered shifting characteristics. On ride home shifts were very soft, adjusted TV via instructions, and pushing pedal to the floor and 1-2 and 2-3 back to very firm shifts, now sounds like fine tuning required. Possibly the welding affected something? Where TV goes into tranny looked untouched. Was able to loose the cat in the process, which is a good thing.

On ride home shifts were very soft, adjusted TV via instructions, and pushing pedal to the floor and 1-2 and 2-3 back to very firm shifts...

Don't use the go-pedal to ratchet the TV cable, that bends things and doesn't provide the proper adjustment. The proper way is to open the throttle by hand at the throttle body. And even with that sometimes needs to go one click looser.

While opening the throttle to fully open observe the TV and throttle cable mounting bracket. If it flexes a little as WOT is reached the cable is too tight. Loosen by one click and check for the bracket flexing, it shouldn't.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Understood, will do,
Thanks again all, will note results.
Hoping as simple as TV adjustment.

Joel

Thanks for the response. I'll check today. the electric is for lock up as you've stated, correct? What shifts from 3-4? Is there a solenoid or the like, is that also electric? Of the major components of a car, the automatic tranny is the bit I know the least. I'll do some reading on "general how does the 200 work". Can't hurt.
Joel
It is late from 3-4, I'll check to see if once in 4th is the TC locking up.
Joel
Chris of CKPerformance produces an excellent book on the th200-4r, T-400, and ? Well worth the investment.

Sounds like it might be normal to me. With the exhaust change, you're probably be a little more critical of the car than normal. Plus, getting rid of the cat will change the running characteristics a little too.

When I'm cruising right at the 'sweet spot' to hit OD, sometimes I'll ease off a little and let the shift happen. Right after that I'll feel the converter lock and the RPMs will drop again.

Have you verified you have lockup in 4th?

Hey Earl, I've not verified lock up. That's one step I'll take. I read on the forum to get into 4th, I'll do on highway to be sure to be going plenty fast and then touch brake pedal, I understand that she should then unlock and I'll see an increase in RPM. Will be helpful that scanmaster has RPM so I can see the precise change rather than relying on leds.
I've got the steps correct, right?
Joel

Hey Earl, I've not verified lock up. That's one step I'll take. I read on the forum to get into 4th, I'll do on highway to be sure to be going plenty fast and then touch brake pedal, I understand that she should then unlock and I'll see an increase in RPM. Will be helpful that scanmaster has RPM so I can see the precise change rather than relying on leds.
I've got the steps correct, right?
Joel
You are correct.

Yep, and you won't need a tach to verify it. When the converter locks, it'll feel like a 5th gear. The audible difference is plenty.

just touch the brakes enough to light up the lights not enough to stop the car.

You can see the rpm drop on the Scanmaster. Get into od at about 45 or so on a level road and slowly raise the rpm. Lock will feel like another gear and rpm drop several hundred rpm.

At what MPH is OD supposed to kick in?

And can you drive around in OD or should you leave the car in drive and only shift to OD once at proper speed?

D

Good questions I bet my owner's manual speaks to what speed 4th should kick in I just don't have with me here at work. On a flat road I'm thinking around 35-40. My 45+ is later than it had been.

I've always understood to leave the car in OD and let the tranny sort it out. If you are towing or the like and she's cycling in and out of OD frequently then drop into D.

That's my understanding
Joel