Largest BB Turbo recomended

This question may have been asked before so please excuse me if it has. I would like to hear opinions and more importantly if anyone has done it. What is largest BB Turbo you have run on a stock motor and with what converter. I know most folks say a TA49/TE44 with a stock converter, but lets say a 3000-3200 converter or PTC 9.5 with a relatively stock motor (maybe ported heads) but mostly stock. For example, 6765 DBB with a 3000 Converter and or PTC 9.5, something like that.

Thanks

You coudl run a 6765 but it wont make more power on a stock engine than a 6262 unless you are planning on running up over 35psi. I doubt the 6765 would do anymore than a 6265 on a stock engine even up around 40psi. The stock engine just cant accommodate the mass flow potential of any of those turbos. The 6262 has been 10.50's on an unopened engine. Boost was in the 30's.

Thank You Bison, i was hoping you would chime in. BTW, besides ported heads, better heads and cam, anything else
you feel would make a BIG difference in the ET/MPH of these cars? This car will be 90 % Street, 10 % Eighth mile
track.

Thank You Bison, i was hoping you would chime in. BTW, besides ported heads, better heads and cam, anything else
you feel would make a BIG difference in the ET/MPH of these cars? This car will be 90 % Street, 10 % Eighth mile
track.
A good tune will make a big difference.

I hear you but i don't have money for an XFI. You think i could get the max out of these units with a
Chip/MAF Translator combination? Or do you feel there is a limit to how far you can go (ET wise)
with that type of setup?

I hear you but i don't have money for an XFI. You think i could get the max out of these units with a
Chip/MAF Translator combination? Or do you feel there is a limit to how far you can go (ET wise)
with that type of setup?
Theres no limit. You can get very good results with chips using a wideband. Dyno time and quarter passes with data logger while creeping up work. With a setup with wideband correction it takes a lot less time and you have that cushion of correction that you don't have with standard chips.

I know you have been 10.2x with a stock short block car and 60-1, but with an XFI. Do you think a
10.50-10.80 is doable with a Chip/MAF Translator with a stock short block, ported head, Flat tappet cam, Ported intake, Alky/93 Octane ? And if so do you think a 6265 DBB Billet with a 3000 Stall NLU, Ported heads, intake, Flat tappet comp cam, Chip.MAF Trans car will get there?

I know you have been 10.2x with a stock short block car and 60-1, but with an XFI. Do you think a
10.50-10.80 is doable with a Chip/MAF Translator with a stock short block, ported head, Flat tappet cam, Ported intake, Alky/93 Octane ? And if so do you think a 6265 DBB Billet with a 3000 Stall NLU, Ported heads, intake, Flat tappet comp cam, Chip.MAF Trans car will get there?
Ive gone 10.61 on a 60-1 with a junk engine. If you ran a ptc 9.5" you could run faster than 10.50 with that combo. I made plenty of 10 sec passes with non adjustable chips on stock MAF sensors long ago. With adjustable chips and inlet restriction gone I'm sure I could make a lot more power than I did years ago.

I appreciate all of your input Bison i really do. I would just like to ask you one more thing. Could you make a
Flat Tappet Cam Recommendation? Stock Short Block, Lightly ported Heads (with stock valves) and lightly ported Intake, 60 # Inj, Chip, MAF Trans with 3.5 LS MAF, 3.5 Downpipe out to dual 3.0, PTC 9.5 Converter, Stock Rear end, Front Mount IC with 3.0 piping, Dual intank pumps, 90 % street 10 % Track no cage, Just want to be in the 10.x (10.50-10.80) So i can get kicked out of Palm Beach International Raceway : )

I appreciate all of your input Bison i really do. I would just like to ask you one more thing. Could you make a
Flat Tappet Cam Recommendation? Stock Short Block, Lightly ported Heads (with stock valves) and lightly ported Intake, 60 # Inj, Chip, MAF Trans with 3.5 LS MAF, 3.5 Downpipe out to dual 3.0, PTC 9.5 Converter, Stock Rear end, Front Mount IC with 3.0 piping, Dual intank pumps, 90 % street 10 % Track no cage, Just want to be in the 10.x (10.50-10.80) So i can get kicked out of Palm Beach International Raceway : )
It's going to take some boost to get there. I'd run the 212/212 comp with 1.65 rockers and 120lbs on the seat. I ran it years ago and it worked well. I actually went 124mph with it and a pt54 turbo with decent heads and precision fm. Alternately I could give you a good deal on the valvetrain I ran 10.61@127 with. It's. Low lift 212 cam with some advance ground into it and 853 lifters. $425. $525 with the springs and locks I ran with it if you are interested in those also. cam comes with adjustable thrust bearing.

I have a 6265DBB and a 6765 DBB. Both are on cars with just ported stock heads and intake. As well as the other basic bolt ons. At 25lbs they both run basically the same. Both run at 125-126MPHat 25lbs and ET-10.70s-10.80s with pretty mild tunes on 93 and alky. Shortblocks are factory. I would just get the 6265 for a 10 second street car. I got a killer deal on the 6765DBB so that is why I have that one. But both turbos work great. Both 60ft in the low 1.5s launching at 5-6lbs of boost.

I have a 6265DBB and a 6765 DBB. Both are on cars with just ported stock heads and intake. As well as the other basic bolt ons. At 25lbs they both run basically the same. Both run at 125-126MPHat 25lbs and ET-10.70s-10.80s with pretty mild tunes on 93 and alky. Shortblocks are factory. I would just get the 6265 for a 10 second street car. I got a killer deal on the 6765DBB so that is why I have that one. But both turbos work great. Both 60ft in the low 1.5s launching at 5-6lbs of boost.

what converter are you using? stock cam ?

Stock cam Untouched factory shorblocks Just ported stock heads and intake. 0 pump Vigilante.

At one lb of boost with the 6765 the RPMs are at 2400. It spools very good on the street. The only thing is that is costs about $500 more than the 6265. But I am happy with the spoolup on the street.

At one lb of boost with the 6765 the RPMs are at 2400. It spools very good on the street. The only thing is that is costs about $500 more than the 6265. But I am happy with the spoolup on the street.

That is good to hear, i have a 64mm Billet Ball Bearing that i may use then. It would be a 6465 or a 6265 Billet Ball Bearing setup. That Vigilante is not cheap though, holy cow.

IMHO, the vigilante is not the best for spoolup. I am running one. That thing is heavy. It also rattles in a multi-disk variety. What it does do is give the guys that need a big stall (over 3000RPM) on the street ....... It gives them the ability to cruise on the highway without generating a bunch of heat or result in poor fuel economy because the converter (if it were a similarly stalled NL converter). IMHO it is a compromise that is worth it. If you run it at the track non-locked, expect slip% to be probably more than 10% at the traps. They don't couple as good up top as the PTC NL converters.

If it is a track car mostly with only short low speed street cruises...... by all means..... the 9.5" PTC NL converter is the bees knees. It is considerably lighter than the vigilante (makes spoolup faster) and couples real good on the top side.

On the turbo..... if you got a 64mm already... it is probably oversized for your combo but would work. A DBB 6262 with a 63 housing should spoolup nice with a 3000 converter.

HTH

That is good to hear, i have a 64mm Billet Ball Bearing that i may use then. It would be a 6465 or a 6265 Billet Ball Bearing setup. That Vigilante is not cheap though, holy cow.
there isn't a converter out there that is under $1000 that will couple the power of a low revving high cylinder pressure turbocharged engine. Guys will spend $1200 on a turbo and think their $500 converter will cut it. They need to think again. You're better off spending $600 on a turbo and $1000 on a converter. Your car will be quicker. Fwiw a ptc 9.5" is wayyyyy more efficient than any unlocked vig I've ever seen.

there isn't a converter out there that is under $1000 that will couple the power of a low revving high cylinder pressure turbocharged engine. Guys will spend $1200 on a turbo and think their $500 converter will cut it. They need to think again. You're better off spending $600 on a turbo and $1000 on a converter. Your car will be quicker. Fwiw a ptc 9.5" is wayyyyy more efficient than any unlocked vig I've ever seen.

From what i am hearing and seeing from your previous comments Bison ( and correct me if i'm wrong ) you recommend putting the bulk of $$$ into Converter/tranny/tuning, versus Engine/Turbo mods, is that correct?