Just tried some E-85 and wow!

reminds me of some idiot friends of mine that would put race gas in there n/a hondas and think it would make them faster lol

Whuduya mean it won't make me go faster.....it says RACE GAS right there on the canister......:)

reminds me of some idiot friends of mine that would put race gas in there n/a hondas and think it would make them faster lol

I don't understand what you're saying. It sound like you are comparing adding high octane gasoline to a naturally aspirated engine and hoping it makes more power to adding higher octane gasoline to a forced induction motor and hoping it will make more power and that they are both pipe dreams.
Is that what you're saying?

they do not flow any more with 70 psi fuel pressure at 25psi boost than they do at 45 psi with 0 psi boost

Correct,the only thing that makes them flow more,as boost and rpm rises,is injector on time.
Base fuel pressure is the only pressure you would use in a formula to determine HP potential.

Im afraid ill get addicted to that popcorn juice if I try it :)
with the LONG list of stuff $$$ you done to your car i don't blame you for not trying anything different, daring or out of the box. Way too much to loose for a little excitement. But in my case yeah i want to go fast but its not my #1 priority. For me its about fun, different, learning, fun, learning, different and staying out of trouble.

Once my car (LC2) gets a clean "bill of health"
The E85 experimenting will begin.

after good results in my GN I tried some in my Vette this weekend........I did the same I kept the mixture around 30% and it loves it........it cleaned up the idle and throttle response is much better! The one thing I can not compare is boost and kr....this is an NA small block but 11:6.1 compression so needless to say it does ok on pump gas but it really needs higher octane. I run the carb a little on the fat side so adding the 30% E-85 does not hurt me but I am getting the benefits of the higher octane rating.

You're doing the math incorrectly.
It's 10 gallons of gas plus 4 gallons of eth = 14 gallons.
30% of 14 gallons is just over 4 gallons.
simple math.

D

49-blues said:
Wouldn't 30% of 10 gallons = 3 gallons? Where do you 4 gallons from? Simply math

Yeah i figured out a little while after that my mix was wrong too!! For a 40%, i would've needed 4 gal e85 and 6 gal 93!! Duh!!!

Back to "Just tried E85 and WOW"
I just tried a 25% mix on my bone stock GTP and it runs like crap and the check engine light came on DUHHH what do i do now???????.
Seriously
i am just going to run it empty and put 93 back in then figure out the Check engine light thing as it may or may not be related.
ill try in the LC2 after i get this figured out first.
Keep the good info coming guys.
David

Just got around to checking the check engine light on the GTP and guess what?
The E85 messed up my MAF. LOL
From Actron reader - Code P0102 = Mass OR Volume Air Flow A Circuit Low Input.

Check to see if the wiring looks good, see if there any air leaks, and see if it's dirty. E85 has nothing to do with the MAF.

Guys
You guys missed the "LOL"
Funny how stuff happens. Coincidence-- i put a few gallons of E85 and the MAF starts to act up.
I know the MAF and E85 don't have anything to with each other but the timing couldn't have been any better (worst).
Any way i'll get this fixed then ill come back to the E85 and try it again. i just hope that my wipers don't stop working this time since this is my DD.
BTW a can of CRC MAF cleaner is already in the trunk.

Guys
You guys missed the "LOL"
Funny how stuff happens. Coincidence-- i put a few gallons of E85 and the MAF starts to act up.
I know the MAF and E85 don't have anything to with each other but the timing couldn't have been any better (worst).
Any way i'll get this fixed then ill come back to the E85 and try it again. i just hope that my wipers don't stop working this time since this is my DD.
BTW a can of CRC MAF cleaner is already in the trunk.

ooops :oops: :D

TurboPowered68

My DD is a 98 Regal GS and in the past I already experimented with how much E85 I could add without causing problems. I am running an Aeroforce Interceptor so I can monitor every aspect of my engine and I have the LEDs set to come on with 2degrees of knock. My car also runs a few mods to include intake, ZZP tune, front plog and rear ported manifold, ZZP downpipe with high flow cat and GTP resonator and dual exhaust. With this setup I got up to about 3 1/2 gallons before I started throwing lean codes, I think this came up during part throttle no boost situations because I recorded several boosted runs with around 3/4 throttle to full throttle and O2 was good with 0 knock. I can put 2 1/2 to 3 gallons in with a full tank but the only thing I can verify for sure was small loss in MPG. By the seat of my pants I MIGHT HAVE felt a little more but I didn't take it to the track that way so I cannot verify anything. On another note if my dad fills up his park avenue ultra (stock SC 3800) with Caseys gas, which is 87 with enough ethanol to get it to 91 he gets better MPG than with 91 pure gas. Again hard to compare the two as his stock engine hits 6psi where I'm maxing at 11psi.