Just tried some E-85 and wow!

Smokin-6 said:
What is the octane rating for E85??

E85 is rated at and around 105octane. Now depending on the blend. If it is a winter blend, the it will be around E70-75 with an octane rating around 98. Pure methanol has a rating of 113.

Have a few things to do right now, but will post some more info later!!

At 70 psi (45 base plus 25 boost) and static (100% DC), they will flow about 97 gph, or roughly 750 hp on E85.

At 70 psi and 85% DC, they provide about 83 gph, or roughly 650 hp.

You can't figure it like that...the reason the fuel pressure has to rise 1:1 is because the boost is trying to push the fuel back into the injector...you have to figure the power they will support based on the base pressure.

just finished reading this whole thing.
going to try 20% E85 and take for there.
thanks for the info guys please keep it coming.

You can't figure it like that...the reason the fuel pressure has to rise 1:1 is because the boost is trying to push the fuel back into the injector...you have to figure the power they will support based on the base pressure.
I think his calc is OK. I think he just mentioned the pressures for reference.

Rule of thumb for 6 injectors rated at 45psi delta P:
(delta P = fuel pressure - boost pressure)

(6) 120lb/hr injectors @ 100% = ~120 gal/hr
(6) 80lb/hr injectors @ 100% = ~80 gal/hr
(6) 60lb/hr injectors @ 100% = ~60 gal/hr

it's convenient having a 6 cylinder!

just finished reading this whole thing.
going to try 20% E85 and take for there.
thanks for the info guys please keep it coming.
No! You're wasting your time. A lot of fuel is already 10% ethanol. Stick to one fuel and obtain your goal. Then experiment.

No! You're wasting your time. A lot of fuel is already 10% ethanol. Stick to one fuel and obtain your goal. Then experiment.

So when fueling, lets say you're pumping 93 octane that has 10% ethanol, considering the high octain of the ethanol does that mean that the companies are using gas that's less than 93 octane and the ethanol brings it back up to 93?

D

Ditto.

thanks for the good advice
But i am not going to the track till sometime in April or May.
so i might as well play around with the car and keep my self busy.

So when fueling, lets say you're pumping 93 octane that has 10% ethanol, considering the high octain of the ethanol does that mean that the companies are using gas that's less than 93 octane and the ethanol brings it back up to 93?

D
yes

I've been adding it to my GSE and at 4 gallons E85, there is a noticable improvement. I will try it on the GN, but I need to score a stock turbo 1st. My pump is weak and my turbo is too big:)

Ttype6 said:

Ok, for the 2 knuckleheads too lazy to pull out a calculator, we'll work this the long way.

96 pph injector implies 96 #/hr at 43.5 psi. If you will read the following very carefully, you will realize the BASE fp is 45:

"At 70 psi (45 base plus 25 boost) and static (100% DC), they will flow about 97 gph, or roughly 750 hp on E85."

So using base fp of 45 psi as stated: SQRT(45/43.5) x 96pph x 100% = 97.6 pph.

Six total injectors with fuel density approximately 6lb/gal: 97.6 pph x (6 inj/ 6 ppg) =~ 97.6 gal/hr
85% duty cycle: 85% x 97.6 gph = ~83 gal/hr

note: (~) represents "roughly" or "approximately"

I think his calc is OK. I think he just mentioned the pressures for reference.

Rule of thumb for 6 injectors rated at 45psi delta P:
(delta P = fuel pressure - boost pressure)

(6) 120lb/hr injectors @ 100% = ~120 gal/hr
(6) 80lb/hr injectors @ 100% = ~80 gal/hr
(6) 60lb/hr injectors @ 100% = ~60 gal/hr

it's convenient having a 6 cylinder!

Thank you

they do not flow any more with 70 psi fuel pressure at 25psi boost than they do at 45 psi with 0 psi boost

understand that the fuel pressure has to overcome the boost pressure in the manifold and the resulting pressure that flows is always base provided the regulator does its job correctly of 1:1 rise with boost
its a given that an injector rating is usually at 45psi so at 100% duty it should flow to its rating

what does occur with the higher pressure is a lower output of fuel from the pump

Wow i actually understood these two explanations.
thanks guys for using "SEDs" (Simplified Explanations for Dummies.)

Ok, for the 2 knuckleheads too lazy to pull out a calculator, we'll work this the long way.

96 pph injector implies 96 #/hr at 43.5 psi. If you will read the following very carefully, you will realize the BASE fp is 45:

"At 70 psi (45 base plus 25 boost) and static (100% DC), they will flow about 97 gph, or roughly 750 hp on E85."

So using base fp of 45 psi as stated: SQRT(45/43.5) x 96pph x 100% = 97.6 pph.

Six total injectors with fuel density approximately 6lb/gal: 97.6 pph x (6 inj/ 6 ppg) =~ 97.6 gal/hr
85% duty cycle: 85% x 97.6 gph = ~83 gal/hr

note: (~) represents "roughly" or "approximately"

they do not flow any more with 70 psi fuel pressure at 25psi boost than they do at 45 psi with 0 psi boost

understand that the fuel pressure has to overcome the boost pressure in the manifold and the resulting pressure that flows is always base provided the regulator does its job correctly of 1:1 rise with boost
its a given that an injector rating is usually at 45psi so at 100% duty it should flow to its rating

what does occur with the higher pressure is a lower output of fuel from the pump

Back to "Just tried E85 and WOW"
I just tried a 25% mix on my bone stock GTP and it runs like crap and the check engine light came on DUHHH what do i do now???????.
Seriously
i am just going to run it empty and put 93 back in then figure out the Check engine light thing as it may or may not be related.
ill try in the LC2 after i get this figured out first.
Keep the good info coming guys.
David

TURBOPOWERED68 said:
I just tried a 25% mix on my bone stock GTP and it runs like crap and the check engine light came on DUHHH what do i do now???????.
Seriously
i am just going to run it empty and put 93 back in then figure out the Check engine light thing as it may or may not be related.
David

Now why would you put e85 in a car not designed for it?

Seriously
David

Did you read what engine code was flashed ? Don't wait till your tank is empty, diluted with more 93 around 1/2 tank or so.

I tried this with m GN at 30% mix, BLMs were jumping up t0 140's and back to 128, which before were runnin consistent 130 at cruise w/93...not enough injector and/or proper chip. I made adjustment with the maf translator..but really didn't seem to get control of the fuel until I diluted with more 93...It ran well and made good power, but the mixture was obviously leaning out.

reminds me of some idiot friends of mine that would put race gas in there n/a hondas and think it would make them faster lol