Just tried some E-85 and wow!

Amelio

so the air temps dropped a bunch last night down to around 70 so the wife and I decided to prowl the streets a lil with the tops off.

I have one station by me that sells the stuff and I have been readin up on converting and mixing with 93. I pulled in and put in about 5gal of E85 and topped off with 93 and drove around a bit. after about 20-30 minutes i could smell it so it was in the system. I imediately noticed a snappier throttle responce and a much faster spool up. I really could not believe it, it was awesome.....half throttle the car pulled like a dame freight train!

I have been running lower boost levels due to some spuratic kr and I have broken 2 rocker shafts(next purchase is a set of HD shafts) prior to this tank up I would get anywhere from .5 to 2.5 degrees of kr and not even at WOT.....well putting around and a few WOT blasts I had zero knock!

I dont go WOT to often around my area cuase the car just gets going too fast too quick and the fuzz in my area don't play! so mostly half throtle blasts but at just half the car spools so much better and really gets going quick so WOT is not always needed to put a big grin on my face :)

Almost home I stopped on a side street about midnight so no one around....just spooled barely a pound or 2 and let the brake go....total boost is low enough so its not ripping the tires off but it just went.....it felt like I got rearended.....itactually felt harder than the 1.7 60 foot it did at the track....I stretched first and then let off......best thing was ZERO kr!

This Sh8t is Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice to know. One thing I can say from doing a lot of reading is you don't want to go over a 30% mixture unless the car's been converted. Basically 4 gallons E-85 to 10 Gallons of 91-93.;)

Yeah I have read between 4-5 gal I actually put in 4.7 it stopped even at $14.00 I think thats why I stopped. I have recently increased my fuel feed and return lines I went -8 SS braided on the feed and -6SS braided on the return also scrapped the stock filter and went with one of those billet reusable jobs.

I dont think I will convert totally cause I only have one station near me and honestly the way the car feels with just a few galls I dont see the need to spend the money on new injectors and chip.

Next time I fill up I will just drop in 4gal.....

Thanks!

30% mix is safe from what I've read, and since most gas now is either E-10 or E-15 then the mix would be 4 gallons of E-85 to 10 gallons of premium.

Hmm, there are no E85 stations close to me but if it works that well I would be willing to make a trip and fill a few cans.
So, without making any other upgrades, anyone can still run a few gallons mixed with regular 93 octane?

hello; That stuff is made from corn correct? I don't spray alky and I rarely go WOT but I wonder if you could spray that and if it would do the same as alky? I use to put mystery oil in my fuel when I had a 69 Olds when they got rid of leaded fuel. I was use to doing it so, if I can find E-85 I might try it and use what you say as a fill up procedure.
keep posting if you plane on using it more often.
what chip do you have now?
IBBY

I tried it a long time ago when it first hit the market.....not knowing any better I put to much in and the car would run lean so I never tried it again. Here recently I dont know if the 93 I have been getting is crappy or my car just has mood swings(I tend to think the latter lol) but I am getting more knock than I use too at 17 psi. I am not happy unless I can mash my right foot and see zero knock plus I have a very goot butt dyno and I know exactly how my car should feel at a given boost level and throttle percentage.

It just seems like something has dropped off......

Anyway been reading up on this stuff and decided to try again....this time much less of a ratio. I really was surprised at how much the car responded......the spool time increased drastically and the throttle responce too. I would have to say the spool time increased the same as it would if I increased total boost 3-4 pounds and the way the car pulled it felt that way too.

I am running a TT street chip burned for 93 oct and 18psi I believe it was Eric set it at.

I did the same thing a couple weeks ago and yea the difference is ridiculous!!! I was mixing in turbo blue and tried the e85 at 30% the shifts feel a lil harder under power, throttle response way better,definately gets butt dyno approval!!!!

Do you have to up the fuel pressure when adding the e85?
As long as you keep it at or under 30%, no pressure increase is needed.

If you convert to straight E-85 you need a new chip and injectors at least 30% larger so you can have the extra fuel, and you might need more volume so a fuel pump may be needed.

I had no idea one could add that much corn to gas. So with 30% added to 93, what would the octane count reach? 100, 105 etc..

I had no idea one could add that much corn to gas. So with 30% added to 93, what would the octane count reach? 100, 105 etc..
If I remember right it was around 98 octane but that doesn't count in the cooling factor of the alky mixed in.;)

i've run straight E85 for several tanks in a row in my car with none of the proper mods done to the car and the only downside was slight hesitation when cold- like a carb engine with the choke out of adjustment- and usually lower fuel economy. but there was that one tank where i got 24mpg on a 130 mile interstate drive with 2 other people in the car and the AC blowing cold.. it never got above 18mpg on pump gas before or since that, and usually dropped to 14mpg on E85.. thru some experimenting, i figured out that my car likes a 50% blend the best overall- the local gas station has a blender pump that allows you to pick a few different blends- i get more power, faster spooling, and no loss of fuel economy at that mixture.

So I tried this...

4.35 Gallons E85 & 10.45 Gallons of 93 for about a 23% mix of E85 v. 93

Gave the fuel pump 10 minutes to fully mix it

AEM wideband showed 12.3-12.7 at WOT but i had only 1 count of knock @ 21-22 psi

dangerous i know!

so I shut it down and added 20% WOT fuel via my TT chip

Retest showed: 11.4-11.7 at WOT zero knock detected up to 120mph when I shut it down @ 22-24 psi. I have a manual boost controller and the air charge is obviously COOLER with the blend so I may need to back it back a bit but with zero knock retard I may just leave it be.

Exhaust smells different at idle, car spools GREAT and certainly feels faster!

Can you turn up the boost any with 30% E-85?

Depending on where you are now you can turn up the boost with regular gas just watch for kr........since the E-85 is a higher octane rating it helps with detonation suppression....... If I had a power logger and a wide band I would not hesitate a second to go up another pound or 2 or just keep going until the car tells me thats enough. But since the only thing I currently have is a sm I am going to leave it where it is......I am only running 17 psi and the car is so strong at this psi and it is a safe amount of boost I am just going to leave it alone.

The throttle response and spool increase I got is worth it all the way and no need to turn the wick up.....besides at 17psi the car is probably faster on the street than at 19psi because at that point it wont hold the drag radials. I find that at 17psi in this car I can launch it about 2psi and it wont spin and since it spools sooooo fast there is no loss in the first 60'......spinn'n aint win'n lol!