Just Installed Billet Journal 6265

Blazor406

Thanks and I'll look into getting an audible knock detector too, long time over due forsure. Def. getting a wideband too the next time out...

Before going to the track outing I made a WOT run and it was steady at 27-28 psi. I assume it was still at this when making the two passes. However I did adjust the RJC boost controller in an attempt to turn the boost down before the runs. So honestly I don't know what the boost was actually at.

In regards to you question if I was using a wideband, scantool? No, I was only relying on my scanmaster. Shame on me....still learning I guess :redface:

Not to sure about what exactly caused the head gasket to go reading what you wrote. However I would think with all that air being forced out the between the doghouse and intake it would still starve the cylinders even it the ECM tried to enrich it, due to the amount of boost I was pushing? Dunno... But, I do see what you are saying too.

John - Mods are - 62-65 turbo, 205-210 Comp roller cam, GN1's, Kenny Bell Roller Rockers, stock intake port matched, 60lb Motrons/TT Chip, Poston Header, Extream Automatics Stage 2, Vigalante 2800-3000 stall, Precision FMIC, 70MM throttle Body, Precision 70MM Plenum, Razor Single Nozzle ALKY Inj, Fat/Skinny Convo Pros, stock suspenion with air bags with 15psi Left / 25psi Right.

Raymond, I was wondering what you've done to the bottom end. Is the block rebuilt, girdle, etc?

Raymond, I was wondering what you've done to the bottom end. Is the block rebuilt, girdle, etc?

Stock rebuild from previous owner, ARP through out, no girdle and currently has about 6k miles on it. Really nothing special, I'm also thinking about going with a Comp 212-212 cam when I change out the front cover for a high volume one.

Sounds more and more like a very promising turbo... What pump# is your Vigilante, and is it a multi-disc?

K.

Sounds more and more like a very promising turbo... What pump# is your Vigilante, and is it a multi-disc?

K.

I'm not to sure which version it is, or if it's multi disc. I know it doesn't raddle, and it is a lock up at 75mph per my TT chip. That's about all I know besides being some where between 2800-3000 stall. It works great needless to say..

I think he might have had a little knock....
I guess upgrading the turbo resulted in having to upgrade the engine. Hope the block is OK.

Sucks you blew the head gaskets, but sounds like you're not using a wideband and went WAY to hard without a good tune. 5.5% in fuel is NOTHING with this upgrade at that boost level, it's a stronger turbo than a 67mm and the 44 is only a 58mm turbo with lame exhaust wheel.

Single alky on 6 with 28psi and 21 degrees on pump, probably too much cylinder pressure aside from AF/R.

Make sure you're getting good WOT fuel pressure, get a wideband and hold on. :wink:

Sucks you blew the head gaskets, but sounds like you're not using a wideband and went WAY to hard without a good tune. 5.5% in fuel is NOTHING with this upgrade at that boost level, it's a stronger turbo than a 67mm and the 44 is only a 58mm turbo with lame exhaust wheel.

Single alky on 6 with 28psi and 21 degrees on pump, probably too much cylinder pressure aside from AF/R.

Make sure you're getting good WOT fuel pressure, get a wideband and hold on. :wink:

Blew more than the head gasket! Cracked a piston.:eek:

Blew more than the head gasket! Cracked a piston.:eek:

Yup, it was fun doing it though:wink: Hope to come up with a plan to repair it wijust another piston, or just do a rebuild with all forged internals. Depends on what I see when I take the oil pan off...

I hope you can get back together with just a new piston. The way the cylinder looks you may have gotten real lucky. At any rate that turbo looks to be a great option to get into the 10s...

6265 Turbo

Raymond: I would strongly advise you port the hell out this turbo especially if you make your way to a 1/4 track. We had expanded the puck hole size to max with oversize puck and I thought we had the boost under control. Had poked it in 1st and 2nd and it was fine. Pushed it down in 3rd to see how it pulled and went to sleep at the switch. BIG pop and the guy who installed the turbo said "Do you know how much boost you had"? "No" was my reply. He said the needle was at the bottom of the gauge so I was pressing 35#'s :eek: :eek: No damage other than the HG and little knock on DS and no audible warning.

Car is running now and I plan to go to Noble on the 27th. We've taken over 100#' off the car and I'm running around with 22#'s boost on TT 91 chip with one nozzle hooked up on Razor's Alky kit. Car spools like a MOFO with 3500 9.5 LU convertor from CKS.

I've had a stock turbo, PTE52, PT61, TE67 and now this journal bearing 6265. The 6265 is one sweet street turbo.:D

Will let you know the results of the thrashing on the 27th.

Phil Engle

Quik Six

Phil. thanks for advice and sorry to hear about your blown head gasket too.

Please due let us know how it goes during your next track outing on the 27th, I'm sure when all dialed in, you'll see some bottom 10's with that turbo.

Yes, I will be porting it this time around and ensuring I have ALL the proper tools to help monitor A/F, ect. I'm also going to a dual nozzle for the alky, I just want to be extra safe this time around. I may go ahead and put my car on a diet too, haven't really decided on that yet though. No matter what; I'll still have the A/C because I drive it a lot when weather permits. Hey, I see you are from Edmond? I've been there quite a few times when I lived in Guthrie way back when. If I ever get back there, I'll look you up. Hope all goes well at the track, and give us some good numbers. A lot of guys doubt this turbo isn't capable of 9's, I beg to differ. I will be pushing mine to the limits when it's back together. BTW- What kind of 60ft did you get with that 3500 Stall? What's your combo if you care to share? Thanks.

Ray

Ray: Here is a list of my engine build, driveline, suspension and interior.

This is a street car with 60,000 that I bought in 1999 with 33,000 miles and it was bone stock. Been a great hobby for me. Was honored last fall when it was chosen for to be the turbo car on the T-shirts for the Buick Ford Shootout at Noble. Picture is also attached.

Best of luck with your car. Take advice carefully and don't get in a big hurry to make it run it's best.

Phil Engle

View attachment 69164

Engine:
Stock block, bored .030 over with strapped mains and ARP main bolts
TRW forged pistons with ARP rod bolts
Champion Ported Iron Heads
Comp Cams 212/212 flat tappet cam
Eagle forged crank
RJC girdle
Stainless steel headers
PT 6265 turbo with heavy duty actuator and turbo saver
RJC boost controller
Terry Houston 3 1/2" SS downpipe with test pipe
SS exhaust headers
Hooker exhaust system
Hemco 62MM plenum
Jay Jackson 62MM throttle body
CAS V2 front mount intercooler
Seimens 57# fuel injectors
Walbro 340 fuel pump, hot wired
Billet adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Dual line alcohol injection system by Razor
4” MAF from RJC and 14” K&N cone filter
GM aluminum radiator
Carter high volume water pump
Billet valve cover breathers
Billet thermostat housing with 160 thermostat
LT-1 MAF with Translator and Extender chips
Red Armstrong ignition wires
Transmission and Driveline:
GM 2004R built from PTS’s catalog
9.5" billet, lockup convertor with 3500 RPM stall from CK Performance
B&M transmission cooler
Drive shaft loop
ATR Aluminum differential cover with stiffening components
Suspension:
Body bushings, lower and uppers
Rear "X" braces
Front braces, upper and lower
Air bags
Boxed, rear upper and lower control arms with polygraphite bushings
Bilstein shocks
ATR rear sway bar
Polygraphite bushings on front sway bar
Wheels and tires:
TorqThrust II’s for the street, BFG T/A’s, stock size. "H" rated on front, 275x60 Nitto Extreme Drag Radials on rear
Cragar race wheels for strip with 3 ½ inch front tires and 10.5x28 MT’s on rear
Gauges:
Scanmaster II with hood
Pillar mounted boost gauge and EGT
Black GNX style dash with 4 gauge cluster, 7,000 RPM tach and 160MPH speedometer
Rail model fuel pressure gauge
EMC modded for DS used at track
Dress Up Items and other:
Trunk kit
Console extension kit
Personalized console plaque
GN logo floor mats
Numerous chrome pieces under the hood
Kirban’s window motor kit, both sides
Undercarriage painted
Chromemoly 5 point

sell the billet, get a normal used dual ball bearing, and with the money left over F.A.S.T. XFI!

WidebandTune < Billet Turbo imho of course, and I'm sorry to hear about this. Glad to read you seem positive about the situation and you enjoyed yourself! Peace

sell the billet, get a normal used dual ball bearing, and with the money left over F.A.S.T. XFI!

WidebandTune < Billet Turbo imho of course, and I'm sorry to hear about this. Glad to read you seem positive about the situation and you enjoyed yourself! Peace

Darkcyde: Using your math, we'd have to get about $3,000 for a used 6265 and they're good but not that good.:)

My car is a street car and FAST XFI would be overkill in my opinion but if it doesn't perform where I want, Jack Cotton will probably be meeting me somewhere between Oklahoma and Maine and taking it back to Maine to make it run right even if it takes an XFI.

Phil Engle

Darkcyde: Using your math, we'd have to get about $3,000 for a used 6265 and they're good but not that good.:)

My car is a street car and FAST XFI would be overkill in my opinion but if it doesn't perform where I want, Jack Cotton will probably be meeting me somewhere between Oklahoma and Maine and taking it back to Maine to make it run right even if it takes an XFI.

Phil Engle

You can get dbb turbos in 60-68mm trim for around $1000, I picked up my t66dbb for less then that myself. It was used of course but still works perfect. FAST XFI with data logger here for $1300 http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/pa...classic-sequential-ecu-system-datalogger.html total around $2300; for a dbb turbo and wide band tuning that is dirt CHEAP! I love the new turbos don't get me wrong, some so cal guys got them. But for over $2000 I just don't know if its worth it. If HP67HPQ Ball Bearing; Retail: $2,510.99. I could buy a used dbb67 or 66dbb and get F.A.S.T. (you do NOT need XFI, especially if your a street car.) For me tune on my entire motor is more important then having a billet turbo. And if you agree there, then wide band tuning is the only way to travel because wide band tuning is the best for EFI, best for your motor and best for you. For a street car I would never say F.A.S.T. is overkill (I have seen some F.A.S.T. units go for $800 with the wide band, there just not xfi). My point is the more you drive it regardless of track or street the more you need a wide band tuning capability to ensure the investment in the motor. I am 110% sure Cotton will steer you in the right direction. Goodluck! Thanks for the updates. Just my opinion though, I know nothing!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I still want to say GOD DANMN that a is one beautiful buick! You have an extremely nice looking and soon to be hard running buick.

Shortly put I'd rather have less powerful turbo with wide band o2 to tune with (F.A.S.T.)
----------------------------VS----------------------------------------
A better (billet in this case) turbo and have to run without a wide band o2 (F.A.S.T.)