JS Kit - Pics !!!

Ya, I know how the JS kit just runs a pipe to the turbo instead of the inlet, but I thought you had to re-clock 86-87 turbos to the 84-85 position. I was looking at pictures of a wastegate on a TA-49 (http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/turboguide/TA49.html) and it looks like the wastegate is no higher than the compressor wheel of the turbo. Where does the clearance issue come in? I couldnt find any pics on MrBuicks picture pages.

Ahhh ok. Sorry didnt realize you were talkin about an 87 turbo re-clock.
I have never tried an 87 turbo myself - I figure this TA33 will be all that I need for awhile anyway.

Im sure others will chime in here...

6 to Go do you have any pics of your setup that you can post? I would like to see how the 86/87 turbo sits. What kind of downpipe is bolted to it? Did you use the 84/85 exhaust housing and a regular downpipe?

js intake

86 87 turbo needs to be in the 84 85 position. i have a js intake with pt52 & a esp front mount. Yours looks really good.

PAC kit and Thrasher 92

Guys - check out my thread JS kit pics and info - I have some new pics there if you like. Cleaned up the engine bay a bit and now have the PAC alky kit in.

Drove it tonight with the Thrasher 92 chip. Unreal. Car is an absolute animal. At 20+ PSI I get very little or no knock. Cant get much traction to speak of now - but man once that TA33 spools up - make sure you have your belt on. Its absolutley insane the blast of power that comes from this combo now.
Its almost like ive graduated to a new altitude and the car is rewarding me !

Im headed to the dyno at my pals shop in the next few weeks for a look see. Ill be sure to post when I do with the results. Still not tuned right yet - no scan tool - lookin to get a turbolink soon though. With the right tune - I just dont know what its capable of.... never been this fast behind the wheel before. This from a guy that owns a lime green ZX-6R and has owned such prev rides as a modded LX 5.0L and a 6.6L Trans Am. It just pulls like crazy now.

Well alot has changed on my car since we started this post. My first change to the 84 was to install a Spearco intercooler. Next I put on a 1987 intake, cut the plenum, mounted a TA33turbo with a larger front mounted intercooler. The last change was to install a complete 1987 engine and transmission out of a wreck with 13,000 actual miles. I also installed a leather interior, painted the car and made it look like a GNX complete with dash Number 548. You can check out the pictures on Webshots.com under member Mrbuick101 so far it won 1st place at the Buick show in the Regal division and 1st place at the All GM show in the Buick division, so I am very pleased with the results. This winter I plan to build a Stage II engine and install it next spring. Even with a mild build for street it should run in the 10's

I found the TA49 turbo was so close to the hood that it might over heat the paint, so I went to a TA33 which is a hot air housing michined to fit a TA49 impeller. Most of the turbo shops can do this modification, but you will need to supply your hot air housing

Mr buick, Hot six I Have a question.

I have a V2 kit and am down to buying just a few parts left . Do I need the S hose, water pump to intake my buddy says its just to warm up the intake on cold starts ??? Can you guys give me any pointers or sticking points I need to watch out for when installing??

Up for updates as Ill be doing this very soon. Are any kits still being produced?

Her is a pic of the 86/87 intake with a modified Accufab upper
plenum. I run 87 turbos, but other larger turbos work, too.
I use the 86/87 wastegate actuators. I have been running
these setups for several years now and there is no down
sides that I have found.

Attachments

• 85 engine pic.jpg
    85 engine pic.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 217
Her is a pic of the 86/87 intake with a modified Accufab upper
plenum. I run 87 turbos, but other larger turbos work, too.
I use the 86/87 wastegate actuators. I have been running
these setups for several years now and there is no down
sides that I have found.

i plan to buy mandrel bends and fab my own tubing. that "spider leg" look wouldn't do for me. i'm all about function.. but it's not the look i'd go for. plus.. i'm not so sure how well air would flow.

i'd like to run an '87 turbo, but i'd then also have to make my own downpipe. i don't wanna go that far, so i'll stick with the '85.
but, from all i've ready, i'll need an '87 actuator, i guess?

here is a picture of my 85 with 87 intake,
87 turbo and wastegate. also shows
GBodyParts D/P install.

let's try to post this picture again?
r
Yup. Thats what I wanna do. Do both turbo have the same bolt pattern for the DP?

I'LL be using the same DP. All ic piping needs to be fabricated? Which ic are you using?

Mark.... You showing off again:D... You should:D:D... I never get tired of looking at your car.... Best part is it was built from factory parts... And it could be changed back to HOT (only better) if choosen. I think you need to do a DETAILED write up and we need to find a place for it. Whether you add a intercooler or not, the 86-87 intake is the way to go. It fixes the issues with intake. With Razor's Alky or NOS, a HOT AIR could be GREAT:eek: and different at the same time.....

Jason,
The turbos all have the same bolt pattern.
The only piping fabrication is the turbo to the IC and that is
relatively minor, some thing the backyard mechanic or muffler shop
can do for you. You will need the factory 86/87 throttle cable
bracket and cable, too.
Chuck,
Thanks, bud. I appreciate your comments. Yes, it is all
factory and switchable back to HA configuration in just a few
hours, BUT WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO? HEH, HEH lol.

Jason,
That IC in the pic happens to be one of the JS Mfg modified
stock 86/87 - they put their design brackets on it, but you can use
a stock 86/87 IC and brackets, but you will have to cut
the DS bracket because it won't clear the belts. Once in
and clamped to the pipes, the brackets don't do a whole
lot anyway. Or you can bend up rod and drill a couple of holes
and take up the slack for the missing 1/2 of the stock DS
bracket.