JS Kit - Pics !!!

Thanks!

Thanks ! Lots of hard work finally pays off.
I want to order new windshield washer bottle and maybe an alky kit from Razor. Clean up the look of the engine bay a 'lil now is the goal.

Need an upper rad support too...maybe even a chrome one. Anyone know if you can get one (chrome) from another model to fit ?

Modified intake

As I go on the install I want to take pictures and post them, what do you need to do to post the pictures?

Modified intake

I am mocking up the turbo today and the wastegate solinoid is not lining up like I want, what have you done? I did not see it mounted on the turbo yet.

Wastegate

The 2 port wastegate will hit the throttle cable bracket.

Might have to grind a small bit away to make it work.

Mine was not on when I took the pics as I was waiting for the bracket. The one I had was no good as it had the throttle cable mount cut off!

I have heard the 87 1 port will not hit - but requires drilling to mount on the turbo properly.

To post pics you prob have to reduce the image size. I made mine 800 X 600 pixels. Save to desktop or someplace after u modify the pic. Click 'manage attachments' when replying to a thread or starting a new one (on the lower part of the page where you start a thread or reply).

HTH

Modified intake

Hotsix, I got the front mount intercooler mounted and the tubes routed to the throttlebody and turbo, but ran into problems with the TA49 waste gate solinoid hitting the hood. I may have to look at an external waste gate or switch over to a TA33 from John Craig. I also mocked up a 1987 manifold in the last picture and I think it will work and then I won't have to worry about modifing the thermostat housing. The 84 TPS and IAC are different from the 1987 so I had to switch. Where did you say you purchased the hump hose connector to the MAF tube?

I can assure you that an 86/87 intake will work
with the hot air set up. I put an 86 intake and IC
on my 85. Easy installation and few complications.
Use the 86/87 TPS and IAC. Modify the Thermostat
outlet tube and the alternator bracket as described
above. Use the 86/87 throttle cable and bracket.
Any one wants pics, email me. I'll send them along.

MR Buick:

You refered to pics - did you try to post some ?

You could get that 'hump' hose at the plumbing section of Home Depot.
Mine came with the kit - but they sell it there - I saw it when I was getting some other stuff. I believe it is made by Fernco.

My car has very little if no boost control. Its a freakin' animal with that intake / IC and port job. It shoots to 20+ PSI even though the wastegate is almost loose !

Im not sure but I might need an external gate. Even when the rod on the gate is loose I think the flow is so good internally that if the wastegate puck is wide open there is still not enough exhaust being let past the turbine.

No scan tool yet (waiting for a decent laptop) so I dont wanna push it. I have a knock guage - and at 15 PSI i only get one or two green lights of knock.

Modified intake

yes I did try to post pictures, it up loaded but never put them on the reply, I will try again. I see the problem file is to large, what do I do now?

Error code: File Too Large. Limits are 1000 x 1000. Your file is 2272 x 1704.

You have to go into some kind of picture modifying software and resize the pic.
I resize to 800X600 pixels.

OR

On your camera there shud be a setting for taking a smaller pic. If you dont have the software to mod the existing pic - use that. Shud make it small enough.

HOtSIX... That IC Setup looks sweet! Nice n neat... I'm in the process of getting all the needed parts to do this job as well... Any advise u can give me would be greatly appreciated. I had someone helping me out with getting all the parts using the 87 intake and TB. is there any modification i need to be aware of?

thanks
paul C
Derry NH

Hotsix, the intercooler setup looks awsome, im really interested in a setup like that but lack the money, also i was wondering what you use for a down pipe gasket, i have a full ATR setup and the up pipe works/seals fine but i can find a gasket for the down pipe. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

Thanks guys !!!

Hey - it was a long time coming for this car. I really wanted it IC from the start and now its done. Just installed the PAC Alky kit too - get rid of the knock im getting. I have cleaned up the engine bay even more since those pics u saw. I plan now to clean it up substantially and will take more pics and post them here. Thanks for the accolades gents.

Suggestions - use an 87 intake. Absolutlely. The water neck is different.

Gasket for DP - mine is made by Rohl - if that helps. It shud be a semi-metallic type donut type material around the ring and its metal inside. It slides right into the turbine housing. Ill see if I can dig up the part number someplace for ya.

I used the JS intake and had to cut the water neck and weld it - PITA.

- measure your turbo compressor "out" - mine was 2 3/4" I think - you need the 'transducer' from Turbohoses.com to hook up your turbo to the 2 1/2" piping thats heading for your IC.

- Order a couple HD spring loaded clamps from them too. I blew off the turbine out clamp 2X before I fixed that problem. Use the pricey ones for the turbo connection. The lesser ones are good for the rest.

- You gotta cut the top corner of the alum alt bracket to make room for the up-pipe to the TB. No biggie - my DeWalt sawzall worked great.

If you guys need some other suggestions let me know - happy to help save some work if I can.

That looks so damn good its making me lean more towards not selling my car and motor that I just got back. Really nice work!!!!!!

That is a real nice setup. You did a great job in putting it togeter. I hope to do as nice of a job when I'm ready to intercool my car. What turbo are you running are you runnig the stock 85 turbo or an 87 turbo? Will an 86/87 turbo work and how big can you go on turbo with the 86/87 turbo in our stock location?

Ed - whatever you do - if you put that motor in and step on the gas - you will never sell it 'cause you will be addicted. If I was you I would grab an 87 intake and doghouse - cut the doghouse slightly and mount up an 87 TB then install it. Way easier now than in the car. But thats just me. :D

Turbojitsu - I have a TA33 on it from Limit. An 87 will fit but you will have wastegate problems (may not clear the hood). You can mod it to work tho.
With the new intake - all sorts of turbos are avl to us now - just need the transducer hose to fit you application.

an 87 turbo wont clear the hood with the actuator? Whys that? I thought when you reclock the turbo, the actuator sits in pretty much the same place.

Modified intake

I tried to fit a TA49 turbo, which is the same size a stock 87 turbo and it had only 1/16" clearence. The paint on the hood would problably blister. The waste gate solenoid would not clear at all, remote wastegate could work. I took pictures of the complete swap and posted them on Webshots.com under MrBuick101 There are two sets of pictures 84Buick and 84BuickGNXclone if you want to see the fit of the turbo. some of the mock up pictures have the TA49 turbo, some with the stock turbo and some with the TA33 turbo

I have an 87 turbo on my 84 WH 1 with an 87 wastegate actuator
on it. I had to mod it so it would rest down on the turbo outlet
and it clears the hood fine. The bracket had to be modded to get hood clearance, though. On my 85 with an 86 intake, I used the
85 turbo and mounted the 87 wastegate, no problems at all
with this. HTH

GN Asuka

The turbo is not reclocked. Piping just runs to where the 'inlet' in the old intake used to be. Only concern here is hood clearance with the wastegate.