Iron head testing (update on post #65)

Lol, small world. Those were the heads I text him about :D I almost brought them with me a couple months ago but didn't want to drive then way back out there!

Yea he didn't have have the hardware so I just ordered some yesterday

I believe those heads flow somewhere in the 206-210 area as cast. I don't know what they flow ported, probably pretty good.

Jeremy, I have some flow number from a local shop who has done many Buick heads for us, and since they were flowed by same operator and machine, it is a good comparison between the port work and valve size.

The CFM numbers are for an intake port at .500" lift and stock valve vs. aftermarket 1.765" valve with additional port work:

Head No.1 - 153 CFM

Head No.2 - 195 CFM

A TA SI head with a 1.94" intake valve, cleaned up bowl and port on the same machine and operator again at .500" had 240 CFM and more at higher lift.

Same conditions and operator, the TA aluminum race ported versions have gone 280+ at .500" with a 1.94" valve.

It is all about air flow, my 3500# car with a 70mm turbo has run 9.97 at 16 psi boost!

In a couple weeks we will have some numbers on our max ported iron heads as compared to a Champion iron head.
Do you have the test info for the head that achieved 280cfm at .500" with a 1.94 " valve? That's quite a bit more than I've ever seen and I've seen some really good heads over the years including some with larger valves that wouldn't flow that well without a lot of short side work. 240-250cfm seems to be the typical for a really good flowing intake with a 1.94" valve. Also seems like 205cfm is a really good .500" lift number on an iron head with a 1.77" valve. Getting greedy will put you in the water. Champion leaves a good safety net on the short side realizing that chasing after 10-15 cfm will make it that much more prone to break through and won't net more performance in most with 195-198cfm typical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have three benches one analog and two digital........ a 300 600 and a 1200........all superflows........ within their limits each agree very closely.......i don't believe quality benches will show any meaningful differences ................but technique will make lots of differences..........bore size makes a lot of difference.........shrouding from a smaller bore ie 3.8 vs 4.1 can really make a difference.........on intakes attaching a tapered runner makes a lot of difference and it more duplicates how they function in an engine.........

any one know who will flow test heads and relevant expense? kinda on topic.
What exactly are you asking? I would like to keep this thread on topic but maybe your question makes sense. Are you asking cost vs. performance?

While discussing this tread with a friend today he reminded me that he has a set of iron heads that came from Ken Duttweiler. He guesses they were done 20 plus years ago. Anyone familiar with the Duttweiler heads and what they may flow?

I wouldn't imagine any better than what has been posted. Would be cool to have that pair of heads though.

While discussing this tread with a friend today he reminded me that he has a set of iron heads that came from Ken Duttweiler. He guesses they were done 20 plus years ago. Anyone familiar with the Duttweiler heads and what they may flow?
My guess 300 @ .500 with his unicorn bone tipped carbide:joyful:

I looked at them briefly a couple of years ago. As I recall they had been ported to the max on the intake side and had tubes pressed in where porting broke through the pushrod holes. I guess it all boils down to casting thickness being the limiting factor........ with enough material to grind you could duplicate the ports of any production style head out there to an extent.

Last edited:
I had a set of iron heads years ago that were 211 on the intake but they had a TON of work including pushrod tubes and welding. With today's port designs I think we could do better without the welding. I have a set being done now that we are going to digitize and offer if they come out as I believe they will. The M&A would normally be 210-220 out of the box, hitting 280 was done a few times on those, since they are the basis for the TA head the numbers make sense they of course made many nice changes.

dont know the source but had this in my archives from many years ago

M&Aflow.JPG

Not to further hi jack but if nothing else info for future searches...My TA SI heads flow 247ish on the intake and 211ish on the exhaust. Ported to 1200 sleeved, etc.

Last edited:
I do not have any flow numbers, but I do have some pics of some Champion GN1-R heads if you'd like to see them.