interesting numbers

Rich

I sent you an Email, but I'll post here also

I have a Keith Mease plenum and I also have a Stock ported Intake with extra work done to use felpro 1200 gaskets.

Would you be interested in testing any of this?

Cool thread, thks Richard.. can't wait to see what the "new cast" Champion Intake does, with and w/o a power plate.

aaron

More Intake flow tests

Howdy guys and gals

I have been back out to Richards helping flow some intakes that were sent in! Richard asked me to post the results since he was not able to get to a computer for the next day or two.

These intakes i flowed were ones that have been sent to Richard for flow testing. I will post the owners first name so i guess they will know which one is their.

All Tests were completed using 28 inches of water on the flow bench.

Brent ( 84/85) HA The average flow was 199

1-199 2-193

3-204 4-196

5-200 6-200

Mark S (84/85) HA

1-134 2-148

3-153 4-117 -----124 after doing some extra porting

5-156 6-146

Mark's Intake Had a somewhat mild port work done to the runners along with the inlet and the EGR port cut out and smoothed.

After Speaking with mark about the poor flow on #4. I got Pat (SloGN) to do a little more porting on this intake to help #4.

So i took about 10 mins and ported on #4 runner ( deep inside along the zip tube with a long reach cutter) I got the flow up. I'm gonna port on it somemore as i ran out of time.

The # 4 port/runner seems to have extra metal casted into the divider walls thus making the port smaller from the zip tube to about halfway to the port face.

I recently swapped out my mildly ported stock intake for a champion cnc ported intake. So since we were flowing intakes i flowed my budget ported one :)

Pat B (SloGN) 86-87 I/C mild port work on the ports/runner EGR tube cut out and hardblock filled.

1-186 2-188 avg flow 193

3-198 3-193

5-198 6-198

Same intake with a power plate as that how i used it on my engine.

1-192 2-191 avg flow 190

3-194 4-192

5-182 6-190

Also since i was flowing stuff i decided to also flow some intercoolers so here is some very interseting flow numbers

Stock GN I/C 193

Ported/bellmouthed inlet stock GN 198

Richard went digging and we found some modded stock I/C in his collection. These have had the larger necks added to them

Stock GN I/C with the Duttweiler neck 250

Stock GN I/C with a turbonectics neck 265.

The difference in the necks appear to be the same. But the only variable between the two could be on how well the neck was center on the I/C and weld placement.

A precision Front mount 387

I also flowed my 1991 Gmc Syclone I/C just to see how it flowed compared to the Turbo Regals

91 syclone I/C 250

I took some time to port the inlet on the Syclone I/C as it had a ton of casting flashing in the inlet area.

91 Syclone I/C ported/bellmouthed 280

What i can't believe is how poorly a stock GN I/C flows. Just think about that for a minute

The TSA cars are flying with such a poorly flowing I/C.

thanks for the update.. any chance of you guys shooting a quick video showing us how you guys are doing the test?

also on the intakes for the hotairs. are you guys using the turbo adapter? will this effect the flow number?

same with the 87 intakes. you using the stock plenum and is this effect the number?

have no idea how you guys are doing the test..

thanks for the update.. any chance of you guys shooting a quick video showing us how you guys are doing the test?

also on the intakes for the hotairs. are you guys using the turbo adapter? will this effect the flow number?

same with the 87 intakes. you using the stock plenum and is this effect the number?

have no idea how you guys are doing the test..

Brent

When flowing the HA intake we have an adapter thats the same size as the inlet to the manifold. The is no neck down at all in this fixture. It's simply a piece of alum pipe that sticks up off the flowbench with a o-ring to seal it.

The 86/87 intakes are flowed using all most the same method except for there is a flange on the pipe that allows for it to be bolted with a gasket to the upper plenum. If you will look back into the thread there is data from where we flowed the same stock untouched intake and swapped out to different plenums and richard posted the results of that. We also did the same thing on the champion ported intake to see how it was affected by different style of plenum. We flowed intake using spacers.

I hope that this answers your questions. If need be you can call Richard and he can explain in more detail of why he made the fixtures the way he did.

Have a great day guys

Subscribed. - - Some GREAT info for sure!
I just hope that this does not turn into a question thread about "Which IC / intake works best for my set-up".

Any chance on flow of a GNX/TTA IC?
Curious if there is somemore flow with the lil different core.
Wish I was closer I would like to see what my old Eastern Performance FMIC flows.

Brent

When flowing the HA intake we have an adapter thats the same size as the inlet to the manifold. The is no neck down at all in this fixture. It's simply a piece of alum pipe that sticks up off the flowbench with a o-ring to seal it.

The 86/87 intakes are flowed using all most the same method except for there is a flange on the pipe that allows for it to be bolted with a gasket to the upper plenum. If you will look back into the thread there is data from where we flowed the same stock untouched intake and swapped out to different plenums and richard posted the results of that. We also did the same thing on the champion ported intake to see how it was affected by different style of plenum. We flowed intake using spacers.

I hope that this answers your questions. If need be you can call Richard and he can explain in more detail of why he made the fixtures the way he did.

Have a great day guys

makes since, thanks

Also the intake i sent in is not my intake its a Arizonagn 84/85 intake that they are testing

Wish I was closer I would like to see what my old Eastern Performance FMIC flows.

next time its off the car call me and send it in---------as for the tta/gnx intercoolers i don't think there is any difference in flow--------i can double check since I have several of all three types ie: gn/gnx and tta---------from previous study all i can remember is that the air paths are identical------so are the air tanks--------the difference in the three is the density of the fins that pull the heat from the air tubes and dissipate it into the passing air----------- gn has about 44 fins across from side to side------the tta has about 54------- the gnx has about 64-------if memory serves me right those counts are +/- one fin due to how they were cut and welded..................RC

From the test results on the first page it looks like you have everything there, could you run the champion ported intake, 1.5" champion spacer & accufab/precision plenum (the one that slopes down at the rear)?

Thanks for all your work Richard.

John Plog

The I/C cores are the same, The only difference is the fin spacing. The fin spacing on the GNX I/C looks more like ehat you would find in a rad core.

The Tanks and tubes ares the same size along with the same amount of them.

Nice to see data on the effectiveless of bellmouthing your intercooler neck(s). I've always thought there were worthy gains in doing this. Just never saw data. It only takes a few minutes to do too.

Here's a Precision SLIC before and after my bellmouth job. It's some of the cheapest horse power that your going to find.

P1010001-2.jpg

P1010012-1.jpg

Great thread. May want to want to make it a sticky or stash it where it wont get lost.

Mike Barnard

I hope that penny doesn't slide down in there! lol

I can see that it's some decent HP gains for sure with the porting. Did you do this yourself?

What i can't believe is how poorly a stock GN I/C flows. Just think about that for a minute
The TSA cars are flying with such a poorly flowing I/C.

I have been wondering about it for some time . . . . What about 123 MPH? (WOWW!)
Since we are talking about flow . . . same with the stock elbow, DP and intake system that is supposed to be junk.
Back to intake flow. Double :cool: :cool:

From the test results on the first page it looks like you have everything there, could you run the champion ported intake, 1.5" champion spacer & accufab/precision plenum (the one that slopes down at the rear)?

Thanks for all your work Richard.

John Plog
we do have it all and will try to do that and some more testing over the thksgiving holiday--------but we just got a prototype of Bob Baileys trick 6 coil pack to test-------its going to be pretty hard for SloGN and I to tear ourselves away from that for a while :) ..................RC