interesting numbers

A2000RICH

Been busy conducting some flowbench studies on a few items. Plan in the next few weeks to do just about every combo I can round up related to intakes.

Here are some to start with:

CFM @ 28” all values rounded to nearest whole number, each runner flowed individually with others blocked

Stock manifold: stock dog house, EGR blocking plate

1 161 2 157
3 175 4 160
5 177 6 172

Champion intake: stock dog house, EGR blocking plate

1 209 2 204
3 221 4 214
5 221 6 222

84/85 stock intake: EGR blocked with pipe plug

1 132 2 136
3 140 4 113……yike !
5 141 6 137

New Champion 84/85: EGR blocked with pipe plug

1 211 2 206
3 211 4 212
5 205 6 199

I plan to test various throttle bodies, powerplates, plenum spacers etc as soon as fixturing is finished. I also plan to actually test intakes bolted to actual heads with valves actuated with a camshaft to test cyl to cyl interaction

RC

Been busy conducting some flowbench studies on a few items. Plan in the next few weeks to do just about every combo I can round up related to intakes.

Here are some to start with:

CFM @ 28” all values rounded to nearest whole number, each runner flowed individually with others blocked

Stock manifold: stock dog house, EGR blocking plate

1 161 2 157
3 175 4 160
5 177 6 172

Champion intake: stock dog house, EGR blocking plate

1 209 2 204
3 221 4 214
5 221 6 222

84/85 stock intake: EGR blocked with pipe plug

1 132 2 136
3 140 4 113……yike !
5 141 6 137

New Champion 84/85: EGR blocked with pipe plug

1 211 2 206
3 211 4 212
5 205 6 199

I plan to test various throttle bodies, powerplates, plenum spacers etc as soon as fixturing is finished. I also plan to actually test intakes bolted to actual heads with valves actuated with a camshaft to test cyl to cyl interaction

RC

don't forget the funny aluminum plates with wierd shaped cutouts.

:)

Bob

Would you be interested in testing a modified draw through intake also Rich? Mines just about done. :)

awesome job! i ported my stock 85 intake (inlet and runners) do u have any of those to test to see the difference champion vs home ported?

during the length of this test i will be willing to test just about anybodys intake related item as long as it is ok to post the results for the benefit of everyone else--------contact me in advance before sending anything so i can get dimensions of ports etc so i can have the necessary fixtures made in advance--------problem with these kinds of tests is it can take only 5 to 15 minutes to actually do the test and several hours in the machine shop to produce the fixtures necessary to adapt it to the flowbench to insure an accurate repeatable measurement------------having the fixture made in advance insures i can get your item tested in only one days time....................RC

While I do not have a spare one lying around, I would be interested to see how much an aftermarket Champion intake flows (the $750 one) compared to the factory ported one Champion offers.

i do not have any "home ported" 84/85 intakes to test--------i would suspect that there would be a great variation in them depending on what work was done--------real killer is that #4 runner--------its a full 30% less than the rest--------higher flow numbers are important but even more so is consistency from cylinder to cylinder--------from what it seems to me you would want to do more work on #4 and not so much on the rest----------Champion seems to have done the full monty--------they fixed the runners and totally hogged out the plenum area---------overall flow increases of 50% and total variation cyl to cyl of only about 10%---------would seem with a liquid intercooler (ie alcohol injection) and ported heads these cars could be made to run pretty darn good with one of these manifolds--------can't wait to try one..............RC

RC,
When you say Champion intake, do you mean the Champion ported stock type intake, or the completely new Champion intake?

Regards,
Eric

the one i have tested is the ported factory unit from champion--------i will see what i can do to get one of the "biggie" units to test

Great thread. Don't forget the Champion Stock Race Ported. I have a brand new one if you want to give it a try. Just let me know. Again. This is great information. Thanks for putting your time into this.

Great stuff! You should flow bench the manifold connected to the head and see what kind of flow is coming through the valves.

Richard

Great controlled test!!

Not that it matters much, but the real world numbers may be slightly skewed because you are blocking the 5 other runners, correct?

Pete H

wow just wow.. Thank You sir for the info. im looking forward to more info and posts.

also i was thinking the same as phoff.. flow out the runners is good but how it flows while the motor is running and the turbulence inside the intake?

I've got a stock intake that has a lot cross sectional area in the runners. Lmk if you want to flow it. I'll send it out

wow just wow.. Thank You sir for the info. im looking forward to more info and posts.

also i was thinking the same as phoff.. flow out the runners is good but how it flows while the motor is running and the turbulence inside the intake?

richard, please pm me your #

I think the main reason for the tests are to compare each runner and each manifold.

the one i have tested is the ported factory unit from champion--------i will see what i can do to get one of the "biggie" units to test

Richard, I have a spare ported Champion aftermarket intake, and if you are interested in testing it I will ship it you?

I think the main reason for the tests are to compare each runner and each manifold.

true, great to see the champion ports flow almost the same.. fixes the #4 port for sure :biggrin:

did some more tests today-------first is the RJC power plate---------been wondering about these ever since I first saw them about 10 years ago and wanted to test one for just as long-------quite honestly i have been somewhat skeptic since I never really saw any solid test data and being an engineer I never placed too much value on "seat of the pants" dynos

here's the test results--------pretty darn good!!------stock manifold, stock plenum, RJC plate

1 167 2 163
3 169 4 170
5 163 6 165 average of 6 cylinders 166-----max variation from average= +4/-3 cfm
average of 6 cylinders WITHOUT plate was 167------max variation from average +10/-10

test with plate on champion manifold

1 215 2 209
3 215 4 213
5 198 6 209 average of 6 cylinders 210-------max variation from average= +5/-12
average of 6 cylinders WITHOUT plate was 215----max variation from average +6/-11

stock intake with the plenum that curves downward from the front similar to the accufab-----i'll post pics later

1 162 2 158
3 177 4 166
5 175 6 171 average of 6 cyl 168 max variation +9/-10

stock intake with the reworked plenum that has a filled in rear wall that is flat

1 162 2 159
3 175 4 164
5 173 6 171 average flow 167 max variation +8/-8

very interesting test ---stock manifold, stock plenum, champion 1.5" plenum spacer

1 166 2 164
2 173 4 171
5 172 6 170 average flow 169-----max variation +4/ -5-------results similar to RJPP

when the engine is running only one valve is ever open completely at any instant in time-----more so in a v6 than a v8------there is always some interaction----but these tests are far more meaningful than a full flow test with all runners open-------when i finish these single port tests i have fabricated a way to actually do the tests with heads attached and valves actuated by a camshaft so cyl to cyl interaction can be measured---------of course the interaction will vary with different cam profiles...............RC