interesting numbers

here's the test results--------pretty darn good!!------stock manifold, stock plenum, RJC plate

1 167 2 163
3 169 4 170
5 163 6 165 average of 6 cylinders 166-----max variation from average= +4/-3 cfm
average of 6 cylinders WITHOUT plate was 167------max variation from average +10/-10

For those playing along at home.

Compared to the average: This is stock parts with a plate.

1 +.6% 2 -1.8%
3 +1.8% 4 +2.4%
5 -1.8% 6 -.6%

Stock parts, no plate

1 -3.6% 2 -6%
3 +4.8% 4 +4.2%
5 +6% 6 +3%

Bob

keep the posts coming. can't wait till you flow the champion aftermarket and others

That's some nice information there! Thank you for sharing it.
Can you still run a hoodliner with the 1.5" spacer? I already have a rub mark on the up pipe from my Precision sl intercooler.

Hot Air Intake

i do not have any "home ported" 84/85 intakes to test-----------Champion seems to have done the full monty--------they fixed the runners and totally hogged out the plenum area---------overall flow increases of 50% and total variation cyl to cyl of only about 10%---------would seem with a liquid intercooler (ie alcohol injection) and ported heads these cars could be made to run pretty darn good with one of these manifolds--------can't wait to try one..............RC

When you say fixed the runners, do you mean improved the flow or did they do away with the zip tubes all together? Despite the improvements is this now an open plenum intake or does it retain the factory style runners? The reason I asked is because there seem to have been some issues with gutted intakes in the past. And the zip tubes, while restrictive, seem to be great for low end torque.

Can you still run a hoodliner with the 1.5" spacer? I already have a rub mark on the up pipe from my Precision sl intercooler.

If running the GN-1 after-market intake, you would have to remove the liner and mod the hood bracing.:eek: So I went w/the .810 spacer, as I have no liner on my hood,
but didn't want to mess w/ the bracing. Archie(from champion) said it was only minor, but ????!:confused:
Great work Richard and if you need a champion($750.00 one) w/70mm t/b to use for a test, let me know as I will be freshening up the motor in the near future.
Keep up the great work!

If running the GN-1 after-market intake, you would have to remove the liner and mod the hood bracing.:eek: So I went w/the .810 spacer, as I have no liner on my hood,
but didn't want to mess w/ the bracing. Archie(from champion) said it was only minor, but ????!:confused:
Great work Richard and if you need a champion($750.00 one) w/70mm t/b to use for a test, let me know as I will be freshening up the motor in the near future.
Keep up the great work!
I'm interested in the stock manifold-stock plenum setup. I know Mark H sell a 1" spacer. It would mostly be for clearance on with a 4" turbo intake...

I've used the Champion stock appearing intake with the 1" Champion spacer and the RJC 3" uppipe...with slight rubbing of the RJC uppipe on the hood liner.

if you need it

I have a new raised intake port champion intake avail.

not being used presently.

Cool thread. Richard, when you test with cam and heads, where you going to use a variety of popular buick cams or just one specific one?

Do you ever plan on doing cam swaps on a dyno? With all the different opinions on what cam is best for stock heads/ported heads/3.8 or 4.1, it would be cool to see the differences. It would also clear up the "which is better, split duration/reverse, or single pattern"

need loaners

anyone have any intake related items you want tested please contact me-------there are so many items and combinations in use today that i can't possibly have them all------contact me via email------richardclark@ami-media.com-------address to send the items-------AMI attn: Richard Clark 2609 Tucker street Burlington NC 27215-------please don't private message me because i can't always keep things straight between screen names and real names-----and when you email me please include your NAME---------no charge for the test------you pay the freight to me and i will pay freight back--------please e mail me BEFORE sending so i can keep track of what is coming-------at present i have 6 different manifolds on the way-----------------should get interesting..................RC

anyone have any intake related items you want tested please contact me-------there are so many items and combinations in use today that i can't possibly have them all------contact me via email------richardclark@ami-media.com-------address to send the items-------AMI attn: Richard Clark 2609 Tucker street Burlington NC 27215-------please don't private message me because i can't always keep things straight between screen names and real names-----and when you email me please include your NAME---------no charge for the test------you pay the freight to me and i will pay freight back--------please e mail me BEFORE sending so i can keep track of what is coming-------at present i have 6 different manifolds on the way-----------------should get interesting..................RC

nice...thanks Richard.subscribed.

This is some good info all around, thanks for all the effort your putting into this and sharing the information with us.. :)

Cool thread. Richard, when you test with cam and heads, where you going to use a variety of popular buick cams or just one specific one?

Do you ever plan on doing cam swaps on a dyno? With all the different opinions on what cam is best for stock heads/ported heads/3.8 or 4.1, it would be cool to see the differences. It would also clear up the "which is better, split duration/reverse, or single pattern"

as for cams i planned to use a mild, medium and semi serious cam-------cam testing is rather complex and somewhat beyond my expertise level-------there are almost an infinite number of combinations (ie lift, duration, seperation, rocker ratio, head ports, valve size, bore, stroke, etc, etc, etc) and i think most experienced engine builders already know what combinations work for them and what hasn't worked------i have precious little time to attempt to reinvent the wheel-------i think its best left to the experienced experts...........RC

I'm sure you plan on using a stock cam for a baseline, could you include the 204/214 cam in that lineup if you have one? I know it's kind of dated but I know a few of us are still using them. I feel it's underrated. I have yet to see anyone do cam swaps on a dyno to prove that they are too wimpy. My car has ported heads with the 204 cam, stock intake and pp. It seems like it never stops pulling. These cars really aren't rev kings so I've always thought they should stick with tight duration/high lift cams.