Im back, lets talk boost.

ThebigbadWolF

Hello again everyone.

Hope all is well, i had some family issues so i have been away.

finally got my 87 GN running reallly good, and got to add a few mods.

So my mods are, RJC FMIC, 3inch down pipe, 48lb injectors, chip, scanmaster, RCJ air plate, new turbo(stock replacement) turbo tronics t43_sb-601-54-gnd_63

soooooo my goal was 15lbs of boost, however im only seeing 11lbs. I have an adjustable replacement wastegate as my old WG was welded for an extented arm.

I have the arm all the way in, and im still making 11lbs.

I have read up on this some,im not in tuner mode ( i have a hose coming from the trubo / WG into a Y going to the solenoid)

I had a RCJ boost controller but this is not designed for such low boost, the lowest i could get from the RCJ BC was 19lbs.

I dont honestly know how much boost i can run safely , but id like the run the most i can.

Alky is later, but for now i got the car running well, and want to get the most out of it till i do some serious modding.

PS, also have a scanmaster installed and running, i had a buddy check it out he said all my numbers are perfect, but it dont mean shit to me, is there a guide or online information that breaks down each field/option of the scan master, and good/bad numbers, what to look for ect?

i ask my buddy to leave it on knock since thats the biggest issue and even when i boosted to 22 lbs toying with the RJC i had 0 knock.

Thank you in advanced.
WolF

Last edited:
Take off the downpipe and you'll see a carbon ring on the housing. You can also tie the puke closed and see if its sealing well which is easier that pulling the downpipe. Also are you sure you have no vacuum or exhaust leaks?

as far as i know there are no leaks, as i was able to boost upward 25lbs with the RJC BC.

also how much boost is safe with my mods?

as far as i know there are no leaks, as i was able to boost upward 25lbs with the RJC BC.

also how much boost is safe with my mods?

Depends. I'd be skeptical of my knock sensor if you ran 25psi without any KR on just pump gas. To answer your question, all the boost is safe with a stock turbo and no KR, but you usually need alky or race gas to get there.

Depends. I'd be skeptical of my knock sensor if you ran 25psi without any KR on just pump gas. To answer your question, all the boost is safe with a stock turbo and no KR, but you usually need alky or race gas to get there.

it was a one time thing, i was testing the RJC boost controller and it boosted up high real fast so i pulled off asap.

i looked at the scanmaster and seen 0.0 so assuming im on the right screen there was no knock.

again im a new though so i could be wrong.

so with out alky or race, just on 91 fuel with my mods listed whats a good ammount of boost?

Is your Y plumbed correctly??? The leg that splits off the Y goes to the wastegate actuator, the straight through leg connects to the turbo compressor housing.

is there a way to test my knock sensor? haha with out boosting to 25lbs :p

Tap the back of the block near the firewall with a screwdriver while car is running and have someone else see if any kr shows on the scanmaster. The recall button on the SM shows you the highest kr reading and lowest O2 reading after going WOT. Use the recall button. Just bc you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen. If you hit the recall button and the other button together, it shows you the mph at which the kr occurred.

...so with out alky or race, just on 91 fuel with my mods listed whats a good ammount of boost?

Depends on timing and every car is different. That's what's fun is figuring out what YOUR car likes best. Some run 20psi on pump gas only, some can't get over 12psi. You decide.

Depends on timing and every car is different. That's what's fun is figuring out what YOUR car likes best. Some run 20psi on pump gas only, some can't get over 12psi. You decide.

i cant decide, i dont have enough knowledge of the car /motor and what its doing....thats why im here....

thanks for the information on the scan master, sounds like i need to learn that device more / prior to anything else.

Learning to read the scanmaster will enlighten and educate you as to both how your car is running and what it likes and doesn't like when you make changes.

It's one of the best things you can do for both you and the car.

yea thanks i printed out that PDF that goes over the scanmaster options.

is there a thread that breaks down options a little more? or explains in more detail i still dont even know what one is knock.