I'm Back..let the wrenching begin !!

Too bad you don't have a Holley

I think these valves are available for holley carbs if I''m not mistaken.. I guess I will be finding that out as I get a little futher down the road..

You must modify the carb to work Vince. Adam can help as well as Aj. There's even an article in one of the car mags that shows you how.

carb mods

Im hip to modifying the holley, I called them ( Holley) up a while back and they sent me a diagram on how to modify it to work, I posted it in my last post a few months ago... I couldn't find the link to that last photo...the guy with the TA was looking for a PERV Valve too and couldn't find one.. Just picked up a tranverse Muffler with an aluminized case built by AP...suppose to be a Magnaflow copy and sound just like it...It has 3 inch in and 2, 2 1/2 pipes out for 63 bucks...Case is all welded and glass beaded...built like a tank... it is a little short though...but more room to work with the pipes though...looks like I will have to weld on my own brackets on this puppy..
Went to hook up my vac blow off valve or what ever its called...and it won't fit anymore that I have everything alined in the right position.. I am pretty sure its off a GN...I will have to modify the bracket a little to fit this turbo..The mounting hole spacing was too wide too..another indication that it came off a GN.....drilled another hole in it and it will bolt up now but just needs to be twisted a bit...the bracket won't twist so I will have to cut it and weld it in the right position.....too bad I just painted it...:frown:

Im hip to modifying the holley, I called them ( Holley) up a while back and they sent me a diagram on how to modify it to work, I posted it in my last post a few months ago... I couldn't find the link to that last photo...the guy with the TA was looking for a PERV Valve too and couldn't find one.. Just picked up a tranverse Muffler with an aluminized case built by AP...suppose to be a Magnaflow copy and sound just like it...It has 3 inch in and 2, 2 1/2 pipes out for 63 bucks...Case is all welded and glass beaded...built like a tank... it is a little short though...but more room to work with the pipes though...looks like I will have to weld on my own brackets on this puppy..
Went to hook up my vac blow off valve or what ever its called...and it won't fit anymore that I have everything alined in the right position.. I am pretty sure its off a GN...I will have to modify the bracket a little to fit this turbo..The mounting hole spacing was too wide too..another indication that it came off a GN.....drilled another hole in it and it will bolt up now but just needs to be twisted a bit...the bracket won't twist so I will have to cut it and weld it in the right position.....too bad I just painted it...:frown:

Remember... a GN wastegate is rated to 20psi..... you will overboost that motor past 12...

A.j.

post a pic of the wastgate then we will know if it came off a gn.

Waste Gate actuator

Heres the photo....I checked it out and the arm was starting to move at 9PSI...I had to really mangle up the bracket to get it work on the turbo. I even forgot how I checked it out.. What is the best way to check it out anyway.. This thing does have one hell of a stroke..way past what the travel of the lever on the turbo..

Attachments

• waste gate 1.jpg
    waste gate 1.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 145
  • waste gate 2.jpg
    waste gate 2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 138
Actuator

I tested out the actuator and it lifts the flapper valve off at 8PSI...almost tempted to cut the rod and put in a threaded sleeve so I can adjust the boost pressure a little better....Will put in a boost guage in the car too..;):cool:

Actuator

Yes I did have to weld it to fit... I only welded about 1/4 of an inch at one time so as not to damage anything on the inside... And I use a Mig...did a lot more waiting for it to cool then welding..and ran under water a lot durning the process too.. Have a air pressure guage from 0-20lbs...started a air from a hose through a small nozzle, then put it in the guage and adjusted it till it was only 9 PSi...as you know the first time you crack that line open you get a burst and that will give you a flase reading...but with the air running at a constant pressure is what I read on... at 8PSi...it didn't budge...adjusted it up to 8.5 psi and it started to lift off the seat...
So is this off a GN ?? and is the Turbo on a GN Bigger than on the Regal Turbo ? Because the hole spacing on the bracket is much wider than the Regal turbo .

Yes I did have to weld it to fit... I only welded about 1/4 of an inch at one time so as not to damage anything on the inside... And I use a Mig...did a lot more waiting for it to cool then welding..and ran under water a lot durning the process too.. Have a air pressure guage from 0-20lbs...started a air from a hose through a small nozzle, then put it in the guage and adjusted it till it was only 9 PSi...as you know the first time you crack that line open you get a burst and that will give you a flase reading...but with the air running at a constant pressure is what I read on... at 8PSi...it didn't budge...adjusted it up to 8.5 psi and it started to lift off the seat...
So is this off a GN ?? and is the Turbo on a GN Bigger than on the Regal Turbo ? Because the hole spacing on the bracket is much wider than the Regal turbo .

no i dont think its from a GN.... actually looks like a 301 wastegate.... but yes, the GN and 301 both have "B" flow housings so they use a larger wastegate assembly.

A.j.

Exhaust wrap

OK...Here is another question for you guys...I am wraping my exhaust pipes rignt under the hood....now how do you hold this stuff in place besides pinning it ?? I have it tempory held in place with Crazy glue...smoke was comming off this wrap when I dropped some crazy glue on it...This is not asbestous....It almost looks like I melted the stuff together...I doubt if this stuff will hold when it gets hot...but if it is really fused together I might have a chance...I am thinking its some kind of a synthetic fibre ...but I don't know what...:frown::rolleyes:

You can use hose clamps Vince. Not pretty but if you do it right then it should hold up fairly well.

Sounds good

Harbor Freight....wow...who would of thought...have to check it out..thanks... Going to be setting up a parts washer pretty soon...any ideas on a good degreaser that is not flamable ??

NAPA has a water based one that works really well. It's called Ozzie juice and you have to have some method of filtering it and keep it warm but it works great.

degreaser ??

Are you talking about that foaming engine degreaser with the orange cap on it....can't find the stainless tie wraps...only found the plastic ones.. I called up the local Harbor Freight store and they didn't carry either one.. I have some foaming gunk engine degreaser and its some great stuff...Maybe I will give the carb baseplate a try with this stuff...