I'm Back..let the wrenching begin !!

jets

OK....sounds good to me have to Look around and see what I can come up with...I have a 750 Cfm basket case here ...have to see what jets they have in it...I was reading one of my turbo books, they suggested some kind of power(Boost) sensing valve that would open above 2 PSI boost to allow more gas to squirt in the carb, they recommended a .o40 orfice.....is this really necessary ??? Or is this just for racing? I tried a few bolts in the side of my holley and nothing fit...so I am assuming that the threads are Metric since it was made in Japan....If I remember right they(Holley) said this this carb would work on a 350-400 cube engine.. I guess when they made these emission carbs they leaned them way out...The guy at holley told me that the accelator pump on the back (Big Bores) is just 50 cc....but I see the pump on the front 2 barrels is about twice as thick...must be atleast 100cc

Jets

Just checked out the jets in my 750 cfm....they were a .062...was checking available jet sizes on e-bay and most jets start around .050.....What about if I try the .062 jets in it ?? How would I even check these if they will only come on at half throttle ?? I guess I would have to get fuel/air ration guage...big bucks or put this thing on a Dyno again big bucks...

..I was reading one of my turbo books, they suggested some kind of power(Boost) sensing valve that would open above 2 PSI boost to allow more gas to squirt in the carb, they recommended a .o40 orfice.....is this really necessary ??? Or is this just for racing?

this is the boost referencing of the power valve.

A.j.

Extra Squirter

The book was talking about a seperate system consisting of a pressure valve and a squriting nozzle hooked up to a seperate tube and a seperate fuel line...almost like a NOS .
Getting back to The air Fuel Ratio....I guess there is no other way to see what the mix is without a wideband Fuel Ratio guage....I guess you couldn't just look at your plugs and see if they are wet right?? $200 bucks is a big chunk....I see they have the cheap ones that will work with the factory Oxygen sensor...Are they of any usefulness at all ??:(:rolleyes::confused:

Jet Sizes

If I remember right the 3 diget jet sizes for emissions were only available with a new emission carb for a specific car. They(the Jets) were not available to the public or for sale..

Perhaps but that was then. Like before, Having 5/16-32 threads the largest of the three digit fuel jets(136-200) now are all for alcohol with the smaller (100-110) three digit fuel jets still being for gasoline those have 1/4-32 threads. Your just ready for a jet set upgrade on your spread bore. You will not have any issues getting your Holley to supply the fuel needed at 8-12psi on the draw thru. Your not going to need any additional fuel sprayed in from another source.

Smokin the Buick

They are Side Hung...am thinking about putting in those .062 jets since they came out of the next bigger street carb the 700CFM....any thoughts...
One more biggie though...Where in the world would you pick up a vacumn sourse on the front of the manifold.....I see only one spot....there is a bolt the bracket that holds down the front of the plendum chamber that goes right in intake #1 runner...I have no idea of what this fitting would look like....I can only think there must be something like a threaed stud with a hole drilled through it then tapering down to a 1/8 tube to hook up a vacumn hose to it... If anybody has a photo of this item or has one to sell just let me know because if I have something made like this it would be expensive and time consuming... If I could drill a hole through a threaded rod about 2 inches that would be great...but for me to drill a hole that straight just isn't going to happen.. :confused::eek::rolleyes::confused:

drilled bolt....on with the show..

I think I have made the solution to my current problem...I managed to drill a hole through the bolt and insert a steel brake line and epoxy it in...This should give me a vacumn sourse for my carb and Distributor....yea going to use the vacumn controlled distributor..if it doesn't work well I will put the non vacumn distributor back in.. Seemed to be a lot more pickup with the vacumn controlled distributor when it was installed last year.
As far as the Inital advance goes....do you think I should set it at 20 degrees BTDC to start with...??:D

Attachments

• drilled bolt.jpg
    drilled bolt.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 89
I'd start with 15 Vince. You can always increase it as you go but if it's to high then you'll end up with detonation and a dead engine. Ask Aj about this.:biggrin:

Smokin the Buick

OK, I will have to go to my speed shop and pick up a few.. finally got the turbo log..on the motor..didn't realize that I only needed about a 3 inch peice of hose to connect my turbo oil drain to a burred hose connector I installed in the intake.. now I see why they used a flex hose for this.. next step hooking up the oil guage and oil line to the turbo. then back to the down pipe and removing the exhaust header to get it on..Tormorrow is suppose to be the hottest day so far...:frown::eek:

OK, I will have to go to my speed shop and pick up a few.. finally got the turbo log..on the motor..didn't realize that I only needed about a 3 inch peice of hose to connect my turbo oil drain to a burred hose connector I installed in the intake.. now I see why they used a flex hose for this.. next step hooking up the oil guage and oil line to the turbo. then back to the down pipe and removing the exhaust header to get it on..Tormorrow is suppose to be the hottest day so far...:frown::eek:

yea.... watch your timing... i went to like 32 and fried the guts right out of my motor!

how hot is hot for you? been like 102* here.

A.j.

We've hit 102 a couple of times this year so far. The humidity has been keeping the temps down here but it makes it worse.

Heeeeeeaaaaaaaaaatttt

Low 90s here and a thunderstorm just opened up:eek::frown:...I probably could see why a lot of guys like to assemble the motor completely before putting it into the car...Some of those bolts are a real bitch to get at..remind me to use grade 8 on everything next time. Its so easy to round off the heads on those cheap bolts. Downpipe next......:rolleyes:

Downpipe Problem

This downpipe I have does not come close to fitting..Does anybody have one that came off a 79 that would fit ?? It looks like this turbo downpipe wanted to go down straignt next to the starter..it was only 2.25 dia too..and that just about fit, it was hitting the starter wire...Are they ment to be this way?? Seems to me that they should swoop back over the frame and then go down...I guess it wouldn't really be a downpipe but an across pipe...but then you could use a much bigger pipe and make things much eaiser...Checked E-bay and nothing...I am going to try to make a mock up out of a cardboard tube and masking tape:confused::rolleyes::frown::eek:

I'll be taking mine off soon if you can wait a week or so. I've got to fab the 3" one up so I won't need it. It's an 83 so it should fit without any issue.

I'll take a pic of mine on the car since it's finally in the shop. This should give you a better idea Vince. I started a thread you might want to look at about diong the body, suspension, ect. You might want to keep up with it so see if there's anything you need to figure out.