IAC issues

microELVIS

Ok heres the scoop of my crappy idle.

My IAC counts are at 175 and stay there, turning the adjustment screw in or out doesnt change anything except the tps reading. Even reving with the throttle linkage doesnt change it. It seems to me the car doesnt rev when its cold anymore. It use to rev up, then come down slowly over a minute or so.

So the best that I can figure, is that the car doesnt hold a sufficient rpm when its cold to stay running and just dies unless I give it gas. Why it is a weak idle when its warm I still don't know.

I pulled the IAC, and gave it a shot of carb cleaner but that didn't help.

Should I expect the IAC as the culprit ?

I did not go through the entire procedure because the IAC counts were not changing as I adjusted. The TPS reading changed obviously. Since there was no way for me to adjust for 20-40 counts I dont see how I could go through the rest of the procedure. Thats why im a little thrown off here, I must've turned the adjustment screw a full turn with no change except a little rpm making it stay at idle instead of almost quitting. The TPS reading moved from .46 to .55 now without affecting the IAC counts.

Did you clean the throttle body when you pulled the IAC? Want to make sure that you get all the carbon build-up out of there...

Just re-read your post. Did you even pull the IAC? Check for vacuum leaks?

I did pull the IAC and shot the spring with a couple good shots of carb cleaner. I then gave a couple little blasts in the hole that it goes into, but not too much. The vacuum reads around 16 on the guage so it seems good to me.

Back to the vacuum, I can hear what sounds like an on and off irregular hiss right around the FP regulator but im thinking thats just the regulator working or even the recirc ? I am wondering if a large enough header leak will cause this to happen ?

One thing I didn't do was the iac reset. Only thing is, the car wont idle cold without some throttle. Is it ok to do the reset in a closed loop ?

Header leak wouldn't cause that, but a vac leak would- find that hiss, and I bet you find your problem!