I wrecked my GN at the drag-strip!

Yeah, bascially my bumper is untouched! The only damage to it was when the car came off of it. Under braking the car dives and the bumper will go under most everything on the road nowadays so I wouldn't even think a fiberglass bumper would be much worse.

A good friend of mine wrecked his 96 T/A at the track drag racing. He told his insurance company where and when it happened and they covered it. So, I wouldn't totally write off the idea of them paying for it.

Peter

A good friend of mine wrecked his 96 T/A at the track drag racing. He told his insurance company where and when it happened and they covered it. So, I wouldn't totally write off the idea of them paying for it.

That's why I contacted my Insurance today. It seems a few people have done this. However, I'm not expecting anything. I'm sure State Farm my insurance company won't cover it...

James

Just to clear up some things...

Firstly... Comprehensive NEVER covers auto accidents unless you hit an animal... its collision coverage that covers wrecks.

Secondly, while MOST insurance companies have a racing exclusion, not all do. When you first sign up you get a nice fat guide that spells out your policy for your state. it will tell you in there whether racing is covered or not, just look for "exclusions" in each section.

That said... Just because its not excluded doesnt mean they cant give you crap for it.. Insurance companies have a range of ways they can drop you depending on your state and if you have a shady company like Progressive they will make up a reason... So while Yes the accident can be covered in theory, They can also drop you when your policy ends for it, besides the fact its an at fault accident. As mentioned, State Farm will rip you a new one for racing (they told me that when i got my GN).

As for an insurance companies definition of racing... its VERY BROAD, so everyone theories about whether its a "speed contest" or not and blah blah are BS, basically the definition is broad enough that if they have a racing exclusion it could almost exclude an accident in the parking lot of a track... Basically if youre doing anything involving a car on the track and youre not driving the track dryer you are racing. They pay people a lot of money to figure this stuff out, they rarely miss anything.

So the possibility of an insurance company covering a racing wreck is Definitely true. If you go in blind without reading your policy you would be asking for trouble... AND even then even if they do cover it, you could be cruising toward being dropped, and TRUST ME its HARD to get a decent rate when you have whats considered an "at fault" accident on your record within the past 12 months.

As for Bishir's situation, I would reccomend againt the insurance route, in fact in all racing situations I prettymuch say suck it up because its not worth the risk... And anyone who reccomends saying it happened on the street, thats possibly the stupidest thing you can do... I have a friend who just got locked up for insurance fraud 4 months after he torched his car, you never know where there are security cameras, or otehr evidence, and anything suspicious they WILL INVESTIGATE.

Bishir if theres a video, IMO firstly contact the NHRA, contact the track, find out the exact rules for that day, YOU DO have legal ground to sue the driver and the track from what ive read... Small claims court can help you get SOMETHING out of this...

Rouge, thanks for your informative posts. I do think with the damage involved it would be in my best interest NOT to claim it. I can't afford higher insurance costs.

One idea that I thought was amusing was to claim it under uninsured motorist with ME being the uninsured motorist. LOL

James

Originally posted by bishir
Rouge, thanks for your informative posts. I do think with the damage involved it would be in my best interest NOT to claim it. I can't afford higher insurance costs.

One idea that I thought was amusing was to claim it under uninsured motorist with ME being the uninsured motorist. LOL

James

No prob I can talk insurance all day long LOL....

You made a good choice IMO. In actuality from what you said it seems that the idiot in the Nova could be the Uninsured motorist...

BTW... this may be my hot italian temper, but if someone did something as dumb as hit reverse and I found out thats why he messed up my car, if i were you i would be posting from prison right now...

Interesting bit about the definition of racing; I thought it might be something like that.

Everybody has their limit, I would try to collect on a $2K claim. IMO Insurance is for larger amounts and I have a high deductible to get a lower rate BUT if I have a valid claim, I expect the insurance company to pay as sure as they want me to pay my premium.

How about the uninsured motorist with the Nova driver as the uninsured? Maybe the guy has insurance that will pay (stretch I know)

As far as the insurance company having experts that don't miss anything: Many years ago I hit an old lady in the rear, not bad at all, I gave her my info and she filed a claim. Allstate paid for accident damage from a previous accident that she already collected cash on a different claim. She did not attempt to defraud the insurance company. The reason I know it happened is because I was shocked at the price, I asked her about it and she said that she told them about the other accident; she told me, she told them, I told them, they just kept the paperwork going :rolleyes:

Hard Hit

Hey,
Sorry to hear about your car, these things happen from time to time. First i had this POS try to run along side me. I was scared something like that would happen, anyway this POS Cutlass was in the burn out box doing his burnout. But i stayed back waiting for him to finish, Low and behold he snaps an axle and they both come in my lane. I was glad because i waited and was not along side him. He could've 4ucked my dads nice GN. Then the Jabroni tells me he wants to run again after he welds up his axle. How unsafe, budget racer? Anyways you didn't get hurt so thats good. Go to the U-pull salvage yard and get the parts you need for repair. Plus there are some very nice fellow members willing to help out. Thats really cool.
Good Luck,
Tom

I remember something about NHRA insurance. Can't you purchase NHRA insurance for the track? I thought something like this was offered?

You know, not one Regal is left in any salvage yards in a 100 mile radius of me. Arrrg...:mad:

Oh, I'm waiting on the video and pictures myself. Hopefully they get posted by tonight...

James

Originally posted by bishir
You know, not one Regal is left in any salvage yards in a 100 mile radius of me. Arrrg...:mad:

Oh, I'm waiting on the video and pictures myself. Hopefully they get posted by tonight...

James

there's junk yard down here by me that usually has regals, i could look around there for you, if you ask nicely...:D

and there is also a yard down here by me that has a couple GN's that they are parting out, i'll try to find there number, incase you want to get some of there parts.

James, sorry to hear about your unfortunate circumstance. If your insurance company hasn't given your an answer about the racing end than I might suggest you think of the problem from maybe a lawyers point of view. First I am not a lawyer so take this as a suggestion and opinion. I have done a lot of different types of racing and from what I have observed is an insurance companies defination of racing might be if your car was on the property of anything remotely described as a racetrack(dragstrip) than it is excluded from coverage. An example would be if you drove your GN to watch the test and tune and you park against the fence to watch and the Nova crashes across the barricade and into the fence and your car. Now you would think think that its the tracks fault since they didn't provide the necessary safety equipment to keep the Nova on the track but if you remember you signed a waiver the get on the property and all the fine print you didn't read specifically says the track will not be held liable because you waived your rights to any lawfull compensation for any occurance. If you think hiring a lawyer(or if you file a claim with a insurance co and they have their lawyers go after the Nova owner) will get you anywhere trying to get any money than you must relize the Nova owner could do the same thing and everybody envolved from the car owners, track owner and every insurance company involved will get their lawyers going and in the event it would make it to any type of courts,reguardless of whether your want it to, it all comes down to...you knew the risks and it was your decission... I commend you on your decission to keep it honest and since you mentioned you are a teacher I'd like to think there are more people like you passing on your morals to the youths today in our society. Sorry to make this drawn out but IMO if you do get the insurance to do a claim I think you could be opening a big can of worms if you know what I mean. Eric Fisher

Hey, James sorry to hear about your car :( That really sucks. If you need any help on locating the parts just let me know what you need and I'll try and locate some for you. I almost went there sunday to run mine, But it's leaking oil out the rear main seal pretty good so I didn't go. Later, Jason

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, James. I don't know what all damage you incurred but at least most Regal body parts are cheap. You may not get it back to original quickly, but you can make the car driveable, use it, and start acquiring the parts you need and start putting it back together. While OK if the insurance company would pay, if you do it yourself, it won't be too bad. Good Luck! ;)

Blown&Injected - thats just dumb claims people... actuaries have to be VERY VERY smart they dont deal with that menial stuff lol....

turbofish - youre right about insurance companies definition of racing it IS that broad... see my above post.

However, one thing to note, that "waiver" you sign when you walk/drive into a place or race track in reality, You can sue em anyway, AND WIN. Its an exculpatory clause, and its done to discourage lawsuits, and is perfectly legal, and some judges will uphold it, especially if you do something stupid. BUT in reality you can still sue, and if you can prove they were negligent you can win too.

Many racetracks carry insurance to cover them (and their racers) should something serious occur..

You may check with yours.. They'd probably only be willing to help if there had been some serious injury involved.

Everybody(including you!) knows when you drag race you are taking a chance with your car. You might blow up the engine, you might damage the trans or snap an axle, who knows? but you still take the risk. Well now you had an accident and someone has to pay as long as its not you. Am i understanding this right? Go ahead and sue and who knows maybe you'll win, the track will shut down and you can be the local hero.Then someone else can start a thread about "why are there no more drag strips around?:rolleyes:

1badWE4
you are totally correct when you say we all take a chance by racing at the track, but your comments about him wanting others to pay for his damage i believe are wrong, why shouldnt he be able to get money from the guy who caused the accident? especially when it was the other guy who's lack of skill at shifting a column shifter put his car in reverse and crossed the centerline....IMO that guy should be offering to pay james on the spot! now whether you should/could get insurance to pay for it, maybe not, that all depends on whats in writing in regards to racing at a track....