I wrecked my GN at the drag-strip!

The trick is to actually read the policy, and there is a difference between a test and tune and bracket or heads up race. Test and tune isn't considered a "speed contest" as you are not racing anybody and just "testing and tuning" in the safest environment possible. It is no different than hitting the concrete piling of a light pole in a shopping center parking lot as both happen on private property and neither would be breaking any laws as far as reckless driving, speeding, etc... Either way, it would be covered under comprehensive.

As far as asking the insurance agent, call a different agent from the same company and ask them, that way it doesn't look funny to your agent when you place the claim.

Actually take a close look at your insurance policy, most are written so a test and tune night is still covered under comprehensive, as long as you were not racing in a sanctioned event (bracket races with a purse). There was a thread on another BB about a guy wrecking his acura NSX on a track and it was eventually covered ($50,000) so all hope isn't lost. The insurance companies don't want to start the idea that it is safer to race on the street since you aren't covered at the track.

Good Info,

I'm checking on that now...

James

Major Bummer!

Sorry to hear about it, but, glad you survived with only minor psychological and physical damage ;)

Imagine a similar experience out on the freeway :) Your good judgement to be on the drag strip instead of the highway paid dividends this time :)

I was just thinking,I would get that neck checked out.You may have suffered whiplash.
I've been there.Watch out for signs of nausea or fatigue in the next couple of weeks.

Don't be a sheep

Take responsibility sounds like some moral hi ground, but the insurance company will try to screw you every chance they get. It is the insurance company that commits most of the fraud because they try to skirt their responsibility in almost every case I have known - just look at the trouble they give us TR owners - there are huge numbers of threads on the subject.

I guess the girl that got kicked out of school for drugs and her family should just move because they cannot afford private school. They knew the rules - Zero Tolerance!

D-Note: You can email Superintendent Ken Kruithof, who defends the decision to expel this student at:

5003@tc1.bossier.k12.la.us

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/html/AE0F03BF-76FC-4300-8564-695F1898F37C.shtml

As mentioned the other driver also has some big responsibility here.

Sorry to hear about the accident, we all "assume the risk" when racing. I am also glad to hear that you are honest enough not to lie about where the accident happened.

I used to be a claim rep. for a major insurance company and I would never have paid for a car damaged while racing. It is clearly stated in the policy, as far as I am concerned TT is a speed contest. Check your policy, maybe yours doesn't have it:

Part A -- Physical Damage

B. We do not provide Physical Damage Coverage for the ownership, maintenance or use of:

4. Any vehicle, located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of:
a. Competing in; or
b. Practicing or preparing for;
any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest.

There is a similar exclusion for Medical Payments and Liability.

If the frame is ok you should be able to get a front clip fairly easily. They built tons of Turbo Buicks, 20+ thousand in 87 alone!

Glad that you were not hurt, sorry about the car. Good luck.

Mark F. 87 GN 11.9 @ 115

Originally posted by fitz3820
Sorry to hear about the accident, we all "assume the risk" when racing. I am also glad to hear that you are honest enough not to lie about where the accident happened.

I used to be a claim rep. for a major insurance company and I would never have paid for a car damaged while racing. It is clearly stated in the policy, as far as I am concerned TT is a speed contest. Check your policy, maybe yours doesn't have it:

Part A -- Physical Damage

B. We do not provide Physical Damage Coverage for the ownership, maintenance or use of:

4. Any vehicle, located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of:
a. Competing in; or
b. Practicing or preparing for;
any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest.

There is a similar exclusion for Medical Payments and Liability.

If the frame is ok you should be able to get a front clip fairly easily. They built tons of Turbo Buicks, 20+ thousand in 87 alone!

Glad that you were not hurt, sorry about the car. Good luck.

Mark F. 87 GN 11.9 @ 115

Test and tune isn't considered a "contest" or "organized racing" since you can't actually win anything and aren't competing against anyone (was he competing against a promod car?? didn't think so). "Practicing or preparing for" would be considered time trials and since he wasn't signed up for any "races" and doesn't have a points standing then they can't say he was at the test and tune for that reason.

It is all a matter of how you word what you say to them, use the words dragstrip instead of racetrack and never say you were racing, only running your car. Of course they will try to get out of it but they will have to pay in the end since you are legally covered (if the disclaimer is the same or similiar to the one posted above).

GOOD ONE!
Preach on Brother 1badTTA
:)

Always more than one way to look at things and the insurance company is only looking at their own benefit - except when then try to get your business, then they are "in your corner, or the good hands people, or some other BS."

The only reason I know this is that there was a link to a thread about an Acura NSX being totaled during a "teach you how to drive your car" practice at searspoint??? and the insurance company ended up paying around $50,000. That is alot more than this claim would be so I am sure they exploited every single thing they could to get out of it and still had to pay.

Let me see if I can find the link.

Edit: I just got off the phone with Geico (my insurance company unfortunately) and asked them if I would be covered and if there was anything in the policy preventing me from being covered. They don't have anything in the policy at all about dragstrips or any racetracks and told me not to do it. She told me it would raise many flags if I made a claim for something that happened on the strip and there would be alot more paperwork for me to fill out t oget it resolved, but couldn't site anything that would allow them to deny the claim. Also they would probably drop me or "seriously look into the use of that vehicle" after investigating a claim concerning the strip.

And BTW, State Farm will more than likely drop you just for filing a claim not matter where it happens, they are probably the worst for that kind of thing.

She really didn't know what to say when I asked if I would be better off racing on the street where I was automatically covered than racing at the track where I may not be covered.:D

I also asked her why they would insure Corvettes if they didn't want anybody to endanger themselves by going fast.:D :D Which was met with another dumbfounded Brbrbrbrrbrbbbrbrbbrrrbrrb sound of confusion.:eek:

From the sounds of it, you will be covered but may end up looking for another insurance company come renewal time.

Originally posted by 1badTTA
............. Also they would probably drop me or "seriously look into the use of that vehicle" after investigating a claim concerning the strip.

And BTW, State Farm will more than likely drop you just for filing a claim not matter where it happens, they are probably the worst for that kind of thing...............

Not sure about other states, but in Arizona, the law will not allow an auto insurance co. to drop you because of an accident or a claim.

What rate increase you would pay, if any, depends on lots of other factors.

Not a valid argument, sorry. I was in the insurance biz for years, running a car on a drag strip, TT or not is excluded from coverage. It has nothing to do with prize money or if there was a car in the other lane, he was racing period.

The exclusion it is there to protect the insurance company from abnormal risk. If they didn't have it some yahoo could take their car to the demo derby and file a claim!

Can I call GM and have them fix the head gasket on my GN after I tell them I blew it at the track, didn't think so. They have racing exclusions too.

Don't get me wrong, I feel terrible about what happened to his car but the insurance company isn't the place to turn. The reason rates are so high is because all of us are paying for a lot of fraud.

Check with any insurnace company, they have exclusions for racing, taxi livery, nuclear war etc. , anything that poses an abnormal risk for the insurance company.

Believe it or not, most insurance companies lose money on auto insurance, they make up for it with package deals with home/life insurance.

Mark F. 87 GN 11.9 @ 115

>Test and tune isn't considered a "contest" or "organized racing" >since you can't actually win anything and aren't competing >against anyone (was he competing against a promod car?? >didn't think so). "Practicing or preparing for" would be >considered time trials and since he wasn't signed up for >any "races" and doesn't have a points standing then they can't >say he was at the test and tune for that reason.

Check with list member Rogue Leader, I think he is still in the isnurance biz and may have more insight.

Check your policy, I doubt that you would be covered but even if you did you woud have a risk alert red flag on your file in no time and would probably be dropped:(

Check with Bob Hebert in MA for parts, he always has stuff for sale at GN/ttype.org for sale section.

Mark F. 87 GN 11.9 @ 115

NOT flaming you...

... just wish to get to the bottom of the topic.

fitz3820 what is the definition of racing according to the insurance company, I am sure just holding the pedal to the floor for 12 seconds is not it and the demo derby analogy does not seem appropriate. There are rules about intentionally damaging insured stuff and then claiming the damage. While there is a risk associated with any behavior, the propose at the track is not to do damage, and I would further the point to say that unlike some other types of racing, the damage risk at a drag strip is probably better than other types of tracks and maybe even safer than driving across town.

I actually just called a State Fraud agent and was told they wouldn't even insure the car if it is taken to the track, they are supposed to call me back.

Well they called back and said for sure they wouldn't insure me knowing I would take the car to the track. They also said it would raise a question about the use of the vehicle if a claim were to be filed. Them denying coverage in itself says they know they would have to pay for an accident on the track, otherwise they would simply insure me and exclude coverage for the track. HTH

Bishir, you need to do what you 'feel' is right.. That said...
A couple of points to ponder from someone who races EVERY week..

1. You entered the racetrack probably with some knowledge that if anything happened, your insurance would not cover it.

2. You pulled up to the starting line knowing that there had been no tech inspection.

3. You did a burnout and staged up next to the "Pro Mod".. (More likely a SuperPro style car) and decided to run down the track next to him. You could have held back and asked for a single or the next "street" car in line.

4. You were on the right track at first. Nick said it well. Someone who accepts responsibility for their actions are harder and harder to fine. Don't let "finger pointers" sway you.

5. While technically, the accident was the Novas fault, everyone knew the risks of going over 100mph down a race track..
What is something occured that was beyond his control or foresight? Who knows.. I won't say that it wouldn't be worthwhile to call the guy and see if he is willing to "help you out". The idea of telling him he better never show up again at the track is downright rediculous.

Anyway, I don't mean to preach, but like I said, I race every week during race season and know the perils of such an incident. It's a risk "I" assume..

Goodluck.. BTW, if you need a hood, I have one you can have for VERY little... (and I mean VERY little)..

:D

James Sorry to here of the Misfortune about your GN. At least you are OK?

Yes putting a false claim with insurance only makes it worse
for yourself & others.

I often wonder why drag strips don't put a center divider in place.

Also it would be nice to have some soft cushions in place to absorb the impact on the jersy barriers or gaurd rails at drag strips.

Bishir, you need to do what you 'feel' is right.. That said...

Thanks for the offer about the hood. PM me and let me know. I'm going to look at an 86 GN this week and may pull the clip off of it, but that may not happen.

About the other driver.... He was clearly at fault, and the $#$% stayed into the gas well past the lights. Thats when he lost control! Also some say he threw it into reverse. The truth really doesn't matter since there isn't a whole lot that can be done. As far as following other options why not? I never said I'd do something illegal or lie to my insurance. If they cover something they cover it, if they don't they don't. I'm pretty certian the other driver is broke so that avenue isn't even worth following. The only thing left to do is to buy that 86 GN that is complete for 1.5 maybe 2k dollars, part it out, or rebuild and sell it.

Thanks,

James

I have a spare GN fender you can have. I forgot which side it is?

Let me know & I can dig it out for some pix..

Steve, PM me and let me know. Thanks!

Basically all I need is the hood, headerpanel and all front pieces including grill, fenders, outside bumper, and core support. That's it! :rolleyes: Really though, I'm lucky the frame rails are okay...

JAMES

The fronts of these car are well..... like paper! I thought when I bumped the Ranger in the back and did the same amount of damage it was due to my fiberglass bumper. I have come to the conclusion that if you hit someone at speeds greater than 20 MPH it doesn't matter what kind of bumper you have because it generally takes out the header, grille, bezels, hood, etc... They way the bumper area is laid out gives the domino effect by sending it into the grille pushing back against the header.... so on. I am putting another fiberglass bumper on there because I like the smooth look better. Thankfully you didn't have a FM to tear up!